Password / Password

Options
akissz
akissz
Community Member

I have a site that has a password as the username field on the multiple page login. I can't figure out a good method to allow me to have the password in one field and a 2nd password with different name form id in another on the form edit details. Suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

Would you mind sharing the URL of this website with us so we can see exactly what you mean and test it out? Also, which version of 1Password are you using, on which platform? Thanks in advance!

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Its just as I described. A site that uses a password input field on form as the username (for security many websites use this method.) and then a second page for the password. To fix the problem I wrote a small Javascript that changed the first page into plain text on the input form. There does not seem to be a method for 1password to complete this task alone. Latest versions on all things.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

What happens if you try this process to create a multi-page login?

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

That method does not work because if you use that method 1password keeps repeating the request to update the saved info, and places the info in the wrong sections, even if edited form fields manually, because the username is not a username on the first page, its a password input form, not plain text password, a actual password input code for the username.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akissz: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! As Vee mentioned, knowing the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the URL, and the exact steps you're taking are going to be crucial to testing this to try to offer a solution or improve 1Password — otherwise all we can offer are blind guesses. :(

However, if you'd simply prefer not to share that information on a public forum, that's perfectly fine! Just shoot us an email at support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion so we can help! :)

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Let me rephrase so perhaps you will better understand, (on the current versions). How do you make 1Password capture password form info into the username field of 1Password? Please post a custom HTML file included with ID="" and NAME="" and TYPE="" tags, that works correctly to give me an example of your coding.

The way I fixed it with Javascript is by forcing the first page to change from TYPE="password" to TYPE="text" and that allows what I want and preferred.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akissz: Ah! That I can totally do. Here are some resources you might find useful:

Form filling test page

Designing compatible websites

The first link is very useful for doing some practical testing, and the second provides some insight into how 1Password handles web forms. Again, without being able to see the site (and its code), it's hard to go into specifics, but many sites do things like randomizing (or at least changing) field IDs, or using IDs that give the impression they're for something other than username or password — or no ID at all. In these cases 1Password will do its best to guess, but alas, that only gets us so far. :blush:

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Yes I know how the program works, I use it a thousand times a day. I like looking at my own code. A feature should be considered and added to allow for two passwords and zero usernames. There also may a bug in the form id settings on the edit form details. Sometimes 1password doesn't seem to follow the id names correctly. Another feature I would like to have considered to be added is for multiple page or multiple input html5 forms to have the option to auto submit the first field, and not auto submit the second and or third field. Having these requests written here will they reach anyone who may consider these?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

A feature should be considered and added to allow for two passwords and zero usernames.

@akissz: While the use case for this isn't clear, we're always encountering different websites that present "interesting" problems like this. Definitely something intriguing to investigate.

There also may a bug in the form id settings on the edit form details. Sometimes 1password doesn't seem to follow the id names correctly.

Can you elaborate? It isn't clear to me if you're referring to one or two issues here. Any additional information you can provide may help me look into this further.

Another feature I would like to have considered to be added is for multiple page or multiple input html5 forms to have the option to auto submit the first field, and not auto submit the second and or third field.

To be clear, 1Password has only one "submit" action, not one for each field it fills. Generally there should only be a single "submit" action in the form itself, which is triggered with either an Enter/Return command, or a mouse click on the button itself. But again, if there's an exception to this you've found that we can try to accommodate for, we'd need to be able to test it ourselves. You can report any website issues here on the forums, via email (support@agilebits.com), or using our Synapse website issue tracker.

Having these requests written here will they reach anyone who may consider these?

We can absolutely consider them! However, while you may be right about some or all of this, I'm not sure the details you've provided so far are sufficient to warrant making non-trivial changes to how 1Password fills web forms (since they may have an undesired effect on other sites); and without being able to test and reproduce it, it likely won't be possible to fix any bugs, should they exist. :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

I work a lot with the extension so I'm not too bad when it comes to these sorts questions. While it may not seem like it the only current solution for a scenario like this is actually contained within the page that @Vee linked you to, the Using 1Password with login sequences split across multiple pages and it's the bit right at the end in the What to do if your multi-page Login item doesn’t work section - separate Login items for the two pages.

The web form details section serves two purposes. It allows the values for fields to be stored but it also acts as a fingerprint. When you instruct 1Password to fill a webpage we compare the fingerprint of the page you're trying to fill against the Login you asked 1Password to use and the results of this comparison affect how we attempt to fill. The downside of this is the web form details is limited to describing a single page. Our current support for multi-page login sites is to drop down to a much more basic form of filling where we rely on certain heuristics that cover most situations. The two pages must be simple and we assume the username is a text field and the password is a password field. In these simple cases we can guess which page is which and fill appropriately. When a page is more complex e.g. one page requires multiple pieces of information or like in your case, both pages use a password field the current approach breaks down. This is why multiple Login items, named for ease of identification, are more reliable because each will be able to describe the page it needs to work on.

I would like to see us do better for multi-page logins but we have to be very careful what we do here as adjustments to the general filling strategies could have a ripple effect on a massive number of sites that may outweigh very isolated situations like this. It also has to work for a wide range of user's comfort levels. I have no doubt we could come up with a technically great solution but if it can only be used well by a handful of our users it fails everybody else - any solution has to be easy to use and accessible to everybody.

We do take on board every request but we do have to be careful when we make alterations in certain parts of the application due to the long reach of the effects.

This discussion has been closed.