Safari 5.1 extension keeps using old password

Hi,

I have changed my password yesterday for 1password and I noticed that the safari extension keeps on using the old password, instead of the new one! When I type in the new one the extension says incorrect password.

I just updated to 1password Version 3.7.0.BETA-3 (build 31081) (previous beta version had the same), and I am using extension BETA 3.7.b2
Safari Version 5.1 (7534.48.3) OSX lion.

Erik

Comments

• lasleyma
    lasleyma
    Community Member
    I have this same error. I changed the master password and the extension still uses the old one. I even re-initialized the extension and it still uses the old password. I send in a help request to Agile but have had no reply. This is difficult for me now because I had to take the computer in for service and put a very difficult password on 1PW before I upgraded to use the extension. Then when I got it back and upgraded and changed it back to something I could remember, the extension didn't change. The program changed, but the extension keeps the old one. Does anyone know how to fix this. If I change it again, will the extension move to the one I have now.
  • lasleyma
    lasleyma
    Community Member
    The new password now works for the extension. I upgraded to 3.7.0 and loaded the current extension[which indicated it was a beta). I did not make any changes to the master password. So I don't know what happened, but the Safari extension and the 1PW program noe both use the same password. ?????
  • lasleyma wrote:

The new password now works for the extension. I upgraded to 3.7.0 and loaded the current extension[which indicated it was a beta). I did not make any changes to the master password. So I don't know what happened, but the Safari extension and the 1PW program noe both use the same password. ?????

Reinstalling the Safari extension often solves the issue when the extension and the main application are out of sync, so it makes sense that installing a new version would resolve the issue.

Thanks!
    Ben
  • erik.hopmans
    erik.hopmans
    Community Member
    Reinstalling the extension did indeed solve the problem, however I would expect the extension needs to have the right password to be able to get access to the database. Does the extension then use another database then the program does? Although my problem is solved, I still think it is kind of strange that this happened.

Thanks anyway!

• Reinstalling the extension did indeed solve the problem, however I would expect the extension needs to have the right password to be able to get access to the database. Does the extension then use another database then the program does? Although my problem is solved, I still think it is kind of strange that this happened.

Thanks anyway!
    Hi Erik,

The 1Password extension has it own encrypted database stored separately specifically for Safari and in the background, we sync it between Safari and 1Password. Sometime the encrypted database doesn’t have the updated information and the only way to fix this at this moment is to uninstall and install the extension again. Uninstalling the extension will remove the encrypted database, which is why it worked.

• erik.hopmans
    erik.hopmans
    Community Member
    MikeT wrote:

Hi Erik,

The 1Password extension has it own encrypted database stored separately specifically for Safari and in the background, we sync it between Safari and 1Password. Sometime the encrypted database doesn’t have the updated information and the only way to fix this at this moment is to uninstall and install the extension again. Uninstalling the extension will remove the encrypted database, which is why it worked.

OK, thanks for explaining it! Then it indeed makes sense, I always assumed that the extension got its data from the program-database! Thanks again for taking the time to explain certain behavior of the program (makes happy users :) )!

Erik
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    On behalf of Mike, you are quite welcome! :-)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • sandman4sure
    sandman4sure
    Community Member
    I use two different password files for 1Password.
    After changing to the new password file (double click the .agilekeychain) it seems like Safari still uses the old one.
    How and when does it notice a new keychain is used?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2011
    I use two different password files for 1Password.
    After changing to the new password file (double click the .agilekeychain) it seems like Safari still uses the old one.
    How and when does it notice a new keychain is used?

Unfortunately this isn't really supported. I think you will need to reinstall the Safari extension each time you switch to another data file since it syncs with the main 1Password application during the extension's installation.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time, but we will look into making this work more smoothly in the future.
  • sandman4sure
    sandman4sure
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Unfortunately this isn't really supported. I think you will need to reinstall the Safari extension each time you switch to another data file since it syncs with the main 1Password application during the extension's installation.

i'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time, but we will look into making this work more smoothly in the future.

Too bad… it worked great in the old version
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The new extension is using Apple's official Safari extension APIs, so we have to do things a little but differently. That doesn't mean it won't ever work like it did before, but it may take some time to see what is possible and make it happen.
This discussion has been closed.