Sometimes 1PW fills in the userID, and it's wrong, and login fails

Options

I'm using trial version of 1PW 4 for Windows on a "vanilla" PC (HP 280 G1 MT, 4.0 GB RAM, 64-bit OS), browser is Google Chrome.

I went to a United Healthcare web-site login page, https://member.aarpmedicareplans.com/guest/login.html - logged on with my old password (no problem) and had 1PW save my login (no problem). I then went to the change-password page, filled in my old password, and clicked the 1PW tool, selected [Password Generator] from the droplist, engineered a password that would meet the site's stringent rules for passwords, and clicked on the [OK] button. [...I skipped the step of logging off the site and then logging back on...is that a critical mis-step?]

1PW did place the newly generated password in the proper block, BUT IT ALSO REPLACED MY USERID (which I'd filled in correctly) with part of a prompt from a previous question (...sorry, I never did capture the bogus replacement text). The login obviously failed. I tried again, and it failed again the same way.

Before trying the third (final) time, I deleted the entire login from the 1PW site, then said I'd lost my password, and asked for help in assigning a new password. They sent me an email with lots of blocks to fill in (medical account number, birthday, name, zip code, etc,) to prove I was me. They then sent an email with a link that took me to my account, asking for a new password. I made up my own new password, typed it into the two blocks, and submitted the form. All went well, I now had a new password. Then I tried repeatedly to use 1PW to replace that new password with a strong auto-generated 1PW password. I failed three times, same as before, at which point my account was locked...now I have to get their assistance to unlock the account. I'll do that tomorrow when they are open.

I believe that is the sequence of steps I followed...it is correct to the best of my recollection, anyway. I might have performed some other bone-head move, and caused 1PW to believe it was supposed to fill in my UserID. I don't even know if 1PW can save both the correct User ID and the password...can it do that? If so, what am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.4.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:Sometimes 1PW fills in the userID, and it's wrong - login fails

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OffGrid9: I'm really sorry for the trouble! Without an account of my own it's impossible for me to test this and be certain, but based on your description I think you're dead-on. It sounds to me like what's happening is you're saving the "password update" login form in 1Password, so it's either trying to fill that form when you're on the regular login page, or if you're using 1Password to navigate to the site it will take you to the URL you have saved — which may be the update page itself.

I don't even know if 1PW can save both the correct User ID and the password...can it do that? If so, what am I doing wrong?

In many cases manually saving a new login for the site is the best thing to do, as that will allow 1Password to save additional information from the login form you want 1Password to interact with. Just follow these steps:

1. Navigate to the web page you want to login to typically
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosumbit disabled

Again, I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• OffGrid9
    OffGrid9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Brenty. I got the account unlocked, had the site send me a form to replace my password, which I did (with a simple, weak password).

Then I logged off the site, logged back in, went to the change-password page, typed in my current (simple) password, clicked the 1PW toolbar icon, and used 1PW to generate a strong new password, and clicked [OK}. 1PW filled in the new strong password in the appropriate boxes and (in a couple of seconds) also opened the account. No problem. It did NOT replace my UserID with a bogus entry. HOORAY!

Then, just to be sure everything was copacetic, I logged off again, logged back in, and used 1PW to replace the strong password it had created a few minutes earlier. Again, no problem.

Since then, I've started the process of replacing ALL of my passwords (over 100 sites...it'll take a while). I've done about 25, and have had no further problems (...knock wood!). I've also noticed that when I go back to one of these sites and use 1PW to log in, it CORRECTLY fills in my UserID as well as the password. Happy Days.

Thanks for spelling out a process of manually saving a new Login. I will remember that for future use, if I run into another "sticky" site.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1PW filled in the new strong password in the appropriate boxes and (in a couple of seconds) also opened the account. No problem. It did NOT replace my UserID with a bogus entry. HOORAY!

@OffGrid9: Thanks for the update! This is great news! :chuffed:

Since then, I've started the process of replacing ALL of my passwords (over 100 sites...it'll take a while). I've done about 25, and have had no further problems (...knock wood!). I've also noticed that when I go back to one of these sites and use 1PW to log in, it CORRECTLY fills in my UserID as well as the password. Happy Days.

Whew! I'm so glad to to hear that things are going much more smoothly for you now. That is certainly a daunting task, but if you "take one three times daily" you'll be done in roughly a month's time. I had a lot more than that back in the day, but found that simply "processing" each of them with 1Password to use stronger passwords as I used them normally it went fairly quickly. And then it was just a matter of cleaning up a few stragglers. :pirate:

Thanks for spelling out a process of manually saving a new Login. I will remember that for future use, if I run into another "sticky" site.

You're very welcome! However, keep in mind that since no two websites are the same you may run into issues with one here and there...but remember that we're always here for you to help in any way we can. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.