Sync Options Missing & Can't Sync

eltel
eltel
Community Member

Hi - I'm unable to sync as there seems to be missing options as follows:

When selecting Sync I only have Wi-Fi sync showing with the option to turn it on or off. Sync automatically is greyed out and there is an option to display a completion pop up, that's all. Consequently I can't connect to my MAC WiFi server as there is no option to enter the key. I have no dropbox or local storage options showing either. I can sync from my MAC to iPad however.

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.2b3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.0
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: ug:mac/sync-wi-fi, ug:android/wifi, kb-search:wifi sync android beta

Comments

• Hi @eltel! It sounds like you have previously set up Wi-Fi sync in 1Password for Android and are now looking to change the sync configuration. We don't currently support this but it is something that we are looking at for future updates. In the meantime, the only way to set up a new sync method is to go into Settings > Apps > 1Password > Clear data, then launch 1Password and set it up with the new sync method. Doing this does erase all of the data stored locally on your Android device, so please make sure that you have synced all of your changes to another device before doing so. Please let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I have reloaded the 1PW App and can perform an initial sync via WiFi, but after that it won't sync again regardless of whether I make a change (e.g. new log in) on my 1PW for MAC or the Android version. WiFi sync is turned on.

• Wi-Fi sync is not automatic as it requires you to be on the same network as your computer. Your computer also needs to have 1Password running so sync can take place.

This means you will need to manually start sync on your Android device. It’s very easy to! Just swipe down while you are viewing your list of items (Favourites or Categories) and you will see a pull-to-refresh spinner pop-up from the top.

Let me know if sync between your Android device and your Mac works now.

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member

Yes it does - many thanks for your help.

• You're very welcome! :)

• PabloPaulo
    PabloPaulo
    Community Member

I was having the same problem. I had wifi sync set up on my Mac, and have been able to sync to my Android S5 before, but now changing a password on the Mac does not change it on the Android nearby, on the same wifi network. In Settings, Wifi Sync is "on", Sync Automatically is greyed out, and Notication is "on". I see there is also a Sync option under the upper right menu when looking at my list of favorites...I tried clicking this, 1PW did download something, but the password in question did NOT update to the one on the Mac.
    OK as I'm writing this, tried this again (Sync under the upper right menu on Android, not under Settings) and the new password came through to the Android. I'm reasonably tech savvy, but I found this process confusing. Just want to change a password on my Mac, and then have it sync with my Android (and an iPad in the house) on our Wifi network. This did not work the first time I tried it or the 2nd, but it the 3rd time was the charm I guess. Thanks.

• Hi @PabloPaulo. 1Password 6 for Android doesn't support automatic sync with Wi-Fi, which is why that option is grayed out in your Settings menu. You need to manually trigger sync before it can occur. Tapping Sync from the overflow menu is one way to do this, but you could also swipe down from the top of the screen to initiate sync.

There are a few conditions that need to be met for Wi-Fi sync to work. You'll need to be on the same network with 1Password unlocked on both devices. If sync were to occur automatically in the background on Android, it would constantly be searching the network for your computer, which could lead to constant error messages if you're away from your home network. That isn't to say that we won't ever support automatic sync with Wi-Fi, but that's how it's currently set up. :)

Let us know if you have any further problems. Thanks!

• PabloPaulo
    PabloPaulo
    Community Member

Thanks very much for clarifying about auto sync. Perhaps a message right there "not supported on Android" would be useful. However it just seemed like it was not syncing even when I did the refresh, but it finally did after maybe the 3rd attempt. I was checking a password I just changed on my desktop Mac (10 minutes earlier I would say) and the old one kept appearing for that item on my Android device despite manually syncing from the overflow menu (at least that's what I thought I was doing, always possible I was doing something wrong). However it did sync eventually. I'll "practice" or test some more. Thanks again.

• I see. Thanks for the info! It sounds like there may have been a temporary network connection issue at the time. If you have problems syncing in the future, let us know. We'll get some diagnostics reports and see if there are any sync errors. :)

This discussion has been closed.