1PasswordAnywhere, Web Access, 1Password for Teams

Options
2»

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I can myself see a possible distinction between "frozen" and "read-only". As you say, it is a matter of semantics, but we need to get our understanding right.

I already have a paid version of 1PW.

Suppose I try 1PW for Families and create a vault. "Frozen" would mean that there was no way of updating the vault, even using my active licenced copy of 1PW.

"Read-only" would (or could) mean that in the web interface I can read but not change the vault, but that (since my copy of 1PW is licenced independently from the Families option) I could change the vault provided I did so in 1PW itself.

I would guess that "frozen" (in my distinction between the two) is what you are offering.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Suppose I try 1PW for Families and create a vault. "Frozen" would mean that there was no way of updating the vault, even using my active licenced copy of 1PW.

@danco: Aha!!! I think that's where the confusion lies. These are in fact the same thing.

"Read-only" would (or could) mean that in the web interface I can read but not change the vault, but that (since my copy of 1PW is licenced independently from the Families option) I could change the vault provided I did so in 1PW itself.

While you can certainly use local, non-1Password Families/Teams vaults in this fashion, whether you're using the web interface or cached in a native client, the vault itself is either part of 1Password Families/Teams and thus stored on the server and requiring a subscription, or it's stored locally in the standalone app in perpetuity. Read-only is read-only. Past the free trial, you cannot modify data in a 1Password account unless you're a subscriber, similar to the trial restrictions on the apps themselves.

Hopefully the way I've explained it this time makes more sense. Fingers crossed! :lol:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I think we may be getting hung up on semantics. The two things you quoted are saying the same thing only using different words

Yes, @danco got it. What was confusing me was that you explicitly coupled “web interface” with “read-only”. This made me think (hope) that the web access was read-only, but not the whole account (e.g. via 1P app). This would have made the thing useful as emergency web access.

But think of this: A low-price version of Teams for single users with a read-only web access as the only feature. The only significant server load produced by this type of subscriber would be the upload stream when he makes changes in the 1P app.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mot,

But think of this: A low-price version of Teams for single users with a read-only web access as the only feature. The only significant server load produced by this type of subscriber would be the upload stream when he makes changes in the 1P app.

Something like 1Password for Awesome Individuals is on our future to do list. I don’t think that read-only web access would be the only feature (that’s hardly exciting!) but we know that many people who use and love 1Password don’t necessarily have Teams or Families that they need to consider when making purchasing decisions, and we’d love to have a solution for single users as well.

It’s a pretty exciting time here at AgileBits, stay tuned!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Something like 1Password for Awesome Individuals is on our future to do list.

Sure.

Thanks.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Didn’t find an option to delete my forum account. Would be nice if one of the admins could do that for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Done! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.