Master Password Change Propagation

Options
RonHeiby
RonHeiby
Community Member

My vault is shared via Dropbox.

On a Mac running version 6.1 (610005), I changed my master password. I have waited for Dropbox propagation.

On my Android phone, I am running version 4.5.3b2 (20151222).

The Android 1Password still responds to my old master password and not the new one.

• After initial setup / synchronization, are the master passwords on each device independent???
  • Am I able to have different master passwords on different devices??? That seems a dubious feature, but maybe.
  • If I want to maintain the same password across all of my devices, how do I go about telling my Android devices (and my iOS devices) about the change?
    • Do I need to completely uninstall / reinstall?
    • Do I just do local password changes on each device?

Does any of the above change when I sign up for the Family plan? (My Android Beta and my wife's Play Store versions do work with the Family plan, right?)

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.5.3b2 (20151222)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate, kb-search:change master password, kb:change-master-password

Comments

• saad
    Options

Hey @RonHeiby! Your change to the master password on your Mac should propagate to your Android device. You will need to enter your “old” master password on your Android device after the change to the master password has been made. This will trigger sync on Android and once it completes, your new master password should be the only one accepted! All of your devices should be using the same master password if it’s syncing to the same vault.

You’re also on an old beta version of 1Password. The current beta version is 6.2b2! We transitioned from HockeyApp to Google Play for beta distribution. This will require uninstalling the old beta before you can install the new one, so please make sure your device is synced before following these instructions:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/56932/welcome-to-1password-6-for-android

Once you update to the latest beta, you’ll have support for 1Password for Teams/Families. Your wife should already have support for this if she is on the latest stable version from the Play Store. :)

A password change in 1Password for Families account is different. Once you have changed the master password there, all of your devices will ask you to enter the new master password. Without it, sync will not be able to continue.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• RonHeiby
    RonHeiby
    Community Member
    Options

Next Chapter: I hauled out my iPad Air 2 with current iOS and 1Password 6.3.1. I unlocked it with my old master passphrase, then went to Settings | Sync and sync'd my vaults, then went to Settings | Security and chose "Lock Now".

At this point, I would have thought that my new master password would be in effect on my iPad and be required to unlock. It isn't. The iPad's 1Password is still accepting my old master password.

OK. Just "for grins", I tried locking and using my new master password. It worked! And now, my old master password is no longer accepted. That's just weird. :-)

• peri
    Options

That does indeed sound weird! It sounds like 1Password just wanted you to confirm the Master Password change before allowing you to unlock with it. :)

Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.