Fingerprint unlocking keeps getting reset [Under Investigation]

Options
decade2000
decade2000
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Android

This is with the latest version 6.2.

I set it up to use fingerprint unlock and it works great. After several successful unlocks, however, I always get a prompt saying "Fingerprint unlock unavailable. To use fingerprint unlock you'll need to re-enable it in settings...." After I unlock it with password and go into settings, sure enough fingerprint unlock is now turned off. This keeps happening over and over. I did not modify or add fingerprints between any of the unlocks.

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peri
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hey @decade2000. Thanks for reporting this error to us.

I haven't seen this issue on my own device, or heard any other reports of this happening. I wonder if it might be specific to your device. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Android device:
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/android.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+android@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• decade2000
    decade2000
    Community Member
    Options

Email sent, thanks.

• peri
    Options

Thanks! We'll take a look and get back to you. :)

• Swamp55
    Swamp55
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, there. I am a recent initiate into the 1Password world, and I have been very impressed with the app. Congrats on a fine product! I just registered on this site in order to chime in on this thread. You see, earlier today I had the same issue several times as reported above by poster decade2000. For example, the fingerprint scan worked fine on initial login, but if the screen timed out and I had to reauthorize, I got a message that I had to enter the Master Password instead of the fingerprint scanner. And, as noted by the other poster, the setting to use fingerprint unlocking had also been turned off. However, the issue has only been intermittent over the last hour after reading this thread. I am running version 6.2 on Android 6.0.1.

• peri
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks for reporting this issue, @Swamp55. Can you let me know the make and model of your Android device?

Also, do you recall if you experienced this issue with 6.1, or if it just started occurring after you updated to 6.2?

• Swamp55
    Swamp55
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. peri. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7. I just installed 1Password from the Google Play Store on 3/13, so I believe that was version 6.2 when downloaded.

Before sending this reply, I decided to test the issue once more. 1Password accepted the finger scan at its initial launch. And, for the first two times I let the screen time out the fingerprint scan was accepted. But, the third time caused the message reported earlier and I was forced to enter the Master Password. Pretty weird!

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the update, @Swamp55. I've discussed this with the developers. Hopefully they'll be able to get it sorted out for a future update. :)

Let us know if you have trouble with anything else, or any questions in the meantime!

• bryanackermann
    bryanackermann
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I get the same issue on 6.2 on a Galaxy S7 - the fingerprint option "resets" every few times I use it. It also will periodically give the javax error others are reporting if I try and re-enable the option. I stop and restart 1Password and it generally allows me to choose the option again, but it'll only work a few times.

I've sent diagnostics to the support email address. Hopefully it helps resolve the issue :-).

• Ryakkan
    Ryakkan
    Community Member
    Options

I would report that I'm having this issue on a brand new Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (T-Mobile US). I'll be glad to submit a diagnostics report as well if that will assist.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    FYI I'm getting the same issue on a Galaxy S6 (international with official Marshmallow). Works great but then says "unavailable" every few attempts and disables the feature.
    Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Very odd. It sounds like almost everyone here is having this problem on a Galaxy S7 (with one S6 from the looks of it). I'm sorry for the trouble!

@bryanackermann: I'm not seeing anything in our system from this address. If you can post the Support ID you received here we'll track it down and see if the diagnostics help shed some light on the problem.

@wraith, @Ryakkan: If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• Ryakkan
    Ryakkan
    Community Member
    Options

Just a follow up. Even before the 6.2.1 update I have not had the issue pop up. What I noticed was, and maybe it was just me. However, what I noticed is that it would occur when I was being very haphazard with finger placement on the fingerprint sensor and doing that as soon as I brought up the app. If I'm patient, let the app screen appear fully and even wait just a half second it works every time. I've restarted my device twice since then for other unrelated reasons and it seems to be ok.

• peri
    Options

Thanks for letting us know about this, @Ryakkan!

• justanotherokie
    justanotherokie
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue with the fingerprint setting being turned off. Also, all of a sudden WIFI Sync went down. My Windows 10 and Android don't see each other.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justanotherokie: Check your network settings in Windows 10. I have no idea why, but "Make this PC discoverable" keeps turning off on some of my machines. If you're still having trouble, follow the steps in this guide, as it will help narrow down the problem:

Wi-Fi Sync troubleshooting

I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find! :)

• justanotherokie
    justanotherokie
    Community Member
    Options

I seem to remember messing with that recently, thanks

• saad
    Options

Let us know if you're able to get Wi-Fi sync working again!

• justanotherokie
    justanotherokie
    Community Member
    Options

So far I've not been able to get it to work. I'll work through your check list, reset the router and switches. Ugghh.

Quick question however, is the WIFI Sync done through PC->Ethernet through the router or peer to peer WIFI with the PC?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justanotherokie: "Wi-Fi Sync" is a slight misnomer, given that it can work over the LAN regardless of the connection type (wired or wireless). But of course you probably don't have Android or iOS devices that are connected via ethernet, so they'll be using Wi-Fi. You can however, have the server (Mac or PC) hardwired, so long as it's on the same subnet with the mobile client you're trying to sync with.

Resetting Wi-Fi, etc. is first in that list only because when there's simply a network glitch toggling Wi-Fi is a quick fix. The most important thing is that there's nothing blocking the connection, which is unfortunately a common problem on Windows (OS settings, AV, firewall, proxy, etc.)

On Windows 10 specifically the most common issue is that updates often seem to reset some discovery settings that we may have forgotten about. Please let us know what you find!

• justanotherokie
    justanotherokie
    Community Member
    Options

I did check the dIscovery settings for private network and they are on. Public and Guest are off.

• saad
    Options

@justanotherokie Sorry to hear Wi-Fi sync is still not working for you. In order for us to understand what’s going on during sync, we need to ask you for a diagnostic report from your Android device.

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• justanotherokie
    justanotherokie
    Community Member
    Options

I think I may have figured out the issue. SUE. Stupid user error

• peri
    Options

Haha! :lol: Thanks for keeping us updated, @justanotherokie! If you have any further problems, just let us know!

• justanotherokie
    justanotherokie
    Community Member
    Options

Definitely a User Error. I just switched from iPhone to S7 Android and didn't know how to sync. I was trying from the Options menu which is not correct.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, sorry about that! We're working to make things more consistent between platforms, and thesis a great remind why. I'm sorry that you got a bit stuck there, but I'm glad you got it sorted out and shared your experience with us so we can keep it in mind as we work toward that goal. :blush:

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Just updating this as the problem is still occurring.

From what I can tell it's a design issue, although whether it's the API's or 1pass I don't know. If the fingerprint scan fails at all it instantly disables fingerprint rather than allowing you to try again (this is specific to 1pass... fingerprint fails when unlocking the phone are fine up until the automatic time-out that Samsung introduce after multiple failed attempts).

Although then having to enter the password manually is mildly annoying, the more annoying thing is that after one failed fingerprint scan you have to go through the settings to re-enable fingerprint within 1pass.

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the input, @wraith. Our team is aware of this issue, and I'll pass your feedback along. Hopefully we'll be able to resolve it on our end soon!

• tshaka
    tshaka
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Same exact issue as the OP. I'm running 1Pass 6.3.3 on a Note 5, running Android 6.0.1.

I also use 1Pass on an iPad Pro and don't have this issue. =(

• peri
    Options

Thanks for reporting this issue, @tshaka. Are you seeing any error messages of any kind? Also, how often does this happen?

• tshaka
    tshaka
    Community Member
    Options

@peri As stated, same as the OP. The error message is: Fingerprint unlock unavailable. To use fingerprint unlock you'll need to re-enable it in settings...

It's happening far too often. Almost every other time I open 1Password. Now, curious.... I just played with it to see if I could give you a number on how often it happens by opening and closing the app back-to-back and it launched with the ability to use the fingerprint to log in just fine. Of course, the first time I launched the app this morning, it made me use the master password and fingerprint unlock was disabled. But, after reenabling it, it was fine back-to-back. We'll see how it goes after I've waited a while.

This discussion has been closed.