Fingerprint unlocking keeps getting reset [Under Investigation]

Options
2»

Comments

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the update, @tshaka. I'll pass this along to the developers. :)

• grmcrkrs
    grmcrkrs
    Community Member
    Options

I love 1password, it's great. I longed for the day when I could use the fingerprint to log into 1pass. But the fingerprint only works for a couple of times, then it becomes disabled, or broken, or whatever is happening. It shows the error "fingerprint is unavailable" and you have to log in with the password and then reenable fingerprint unlock in the settings.

I've gotten this error/issue on Note 4, Note 5, S6, S6 edge, S7, S7 edge. I've never NOT gotten this issue. It will work for a couple of times, sometimes only once.

Some where saying it was device specific, but it is not. I hope phones weekly, and all Samsung phones have this issue (I don't know why, I just love Samsung).

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @grmcrkrs. We have indeed noticed this issue on a number of Samsung Galaxy devices with Android M, and our developers are investigating the issue. ref: OPA-844

There is a different issue with Fingerprint Unlock on the Note 4, however. Please see my comment here for a little more information on that.

Let us know if you need anything else!

• sawaba
    sawaba
    Community Member
    Options

Just to throw my hat in the ring as well, I've had this problem quite consistently on my T-Mobile Note 5. Frustrating, especially when using the 1Password keyboard, where it isn't possible to access settings to reenable the fingerprint.

• peri
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this as well, @sawaba. I'll make sure to let the team know!

• mrxqtr
    mrxqtr
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here on my Galaxy S7 Edge... Very frustrating and annoying :/

Fingerprint unlock unavailable. To use fingerprint unlock you'll need to re-enable it in settings

• peri
    Options

Sorry to hear about the frustration this is causing you, @muratje. I'll be sure to let the developers know this is affecting you as well. Thanks!

• talljmay
    talljmay
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I am having the same issue with a Samsung S7 Edge. Hoping it might help, but sometimes when I attempt to reestablish the fingerprint lock, i get an error message: javax.crypto.IllegalBlockSizeException, and it will not let me add the fingerprint detection. I have to close out, and manually log back in to reenable fingerprint. It feels to me like it becomes an issue when the app is closed during a sync with dropbox, but I haven't confirmed.
    Thanks,

• peri
    Options

Thanks for sharing your experience, @talljmay. Our developers are investigating the javax.crypto.IllegalBlockSizeException error and I'll pass your feedback along. Thanks!

• talljmay
    talljmay
    Community Member
    Options

One other thing I noticed today....It happened twice today, and both times I opened 1PW to use a password on my work computer and my phone closed and locked itself. When I unlocked the phone 1PW was prompting me for my thumbprint to unlock and it failed. Might have to do with device self locking when 1PW is open.
    Thanks.

• peri
    Options

That does indeed sound a bit strange, @talljmay. Thanks for the info!

• nsh87
    nsh87
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Same here. Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, using Dropbox sync for 1P. Fingerprint unlocks every couple of days at least, sometimes multiple times in a day.

• peri
    Options

Thanks for adding your feedback, @nsh87. I'll let our developers know you're experiencing this issue on your S7 Edge as well. :)

• sawaba
    sawaba
    Community Member
    Options

The problem stopped for a while, but i reset my Note 5, and it is now frequent again. Wondering if there was some setting I had changed that had resolved it for me. I'm pretty sure I went several months without the issue occurring.

I often recommend 1Password to people, especially when I'm at conferences, and it hurts the 'sales pitch' a bit when one of the most convenient features fails during a demonstration.

I wonser if this is just an Android thing? For context, I also use fingerprint to get into my BoA and Simple banking apps, and they've never done this. It almost seems like there us some code in designed to detect tampering, and it is over-sensitive.

• peri
    Options

That's quite interesting @sawaba, thanks for the info. I'll add this feedback to the issue!

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member
    Options

I started getting javax.crypto.IllegalBlockSizeException after the update from Nov 7. Previously it worked fine. I'm on a Xiaomi Mi 5 with Marshmallow 6.0.1

• Thanks for letting us know, @DarkStar. Does disabling Fingerprint Unlock in 1Password and re-enabling it help? In other cases, we found that removing and re-adding a fingerprint on the system level resolves specific errors with 1Password's Fingerprint Unlock. Could you give that a shot? Thanks.

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Fingerprint Unlock is already disabled when I open 1P. It disabled itself and it happened after the last update. The error is shown when I try to enable it. It says fingerprint unlock is not available and gives that exception type as the reason.

I just remembered one more thing. I have a Pro license and after the last update it showed me a dialog stating that my trial is about to expire in N days. I was like "what?". But when I closed it and re-opened it now shows I have Pro features enabled. Might be not related.

• Thanks, @DarkStar. You should not be seeing the trial expiration dialog, I am very sorry for that. We will keep an eye out for it on our end.

Have you updated the OS on your Mi 5 since the last update? I can’t see any changes made to 1Password in the last update that could affect Fingerprint Unlock's behaviour.

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member
    Options

No, I have not. On Nov 7 there was a 1P update downloaded from Google Play and after that fingerprint unlock was disabled and can't be re-enabled because of the error mentioned above.

• Thanks for the info, @DarkStar. I'll pass this along to our development team. Let us know if you notice any other weird issues regarding the Pro features!

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member
    Options

It works again in 6.4.4

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that the new version helped. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you run into any other issues. Have a great weekend! :)

• hankish
    hankish
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting this exact issue on my brand new Pixel XL. I've had the phone for 2 weeks now and have had to re-enable password security 3 times so far. It's really annoying. What's the problem? Are there any fixes? I'm running 6.4.5.

• @hankish Thanks for letting us know you are seeing this problem on your Pixel XL. Are you seeing any specific error messages in 1Password or is the feature just being disabled in the background? Do you have multiple user profile configured on your Pixel XL?

• hankish
    hankish
    Community Member
    Options

@saad: I am not using the multiple profiles feature of Android. What specifically happens is that I launch the app (either directly or via the keyboard) and then when the app opens it displays an error message saying that Fingerprint unlock is unavailable (I'll try and capture a screenshot next time it happens). Then in order to re-enable it I have to type in my password and go back into settings.

This happened once on my wife's phone too. We both have Pixel XLs purchased at the same time (likely the same hardware version).

It's possible that this is coming up after the app is updated though that is just a guess. Also, this happened to both of us after I enabled auto-filling. But it has also happened to me once or twice outside of that.

• Thanks for that information, @hankish. We have a few Pixel devices within our team, so we hope we can spot the same issue and figure out what’s going on.

There are a couple of known issues we are working on with the lock screen being unresponsive sometimes on Android 7.1, so I’ll make our developers also take a look into this particular issue and make sure they are not somehow related.

If you find any additional information that would help us, please share them with us! We are internally tracking this issue now.

ref: OPA-1071

This discussion has been closed.