Could 1Password help more with the "type the 3, 8 & 12 character from your password" type logins?

Options

I have a few sites where I have to type in certain characters from my password in order to be able to login. My current process is to open the login containing this information in 1Password and then count along the password and enter the correct characters into the browser. This is fiddly but I think there could be a couple of things that could help.

1. Add an "always on top" option for the main 1Password window. Whenever I type one of the characters in to the browser the 1Password window goes behind the browser so I end up doing a lot of alt+tabbing or window re-arranging in order to be able to work out the correct character to type in next from 1Password into the browser.
  2. Would it be possible to have the option of having digits under the password, maybe a new field type? This way it would be fast and simple to see say the 9th character in the password because you can see which letter is above the number 9. Would be a big help as a lot of my password are around 15 digits in length and I feel there must be a better way than character counting.

It always seems such a hassle to login to these type of sites when i'm used to 1 click logins, I think 1P could do more to help with these annoying logins. Any thoughts or plans to improve this area?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have a few sites where I have to type in certain characters from my password in order to be able to login. My current process is to open the login containing this information in 1Password and then count along the password and enter the correct characters into the browser. This is fiddly but I think there could be a couple of things that could help.

@reck: Sorry. That's definitely not a great experience. I know how frustrating that can be!

But we actually have a pretty cool feature that can help with this in the 1Password for Windows 10 beta:

Definitely something we'd like to add to the desktop app as well. Let me know what you think! :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,

Looks pretty much as I was describing, would be very useful indeed.

What’s this Windows 10 version of 1Password you mention? I run Windows 10 both at home and work but use the “normal” version. Should I move over to this other version? If it’s being developed with new features that the normal version doesn’t (yet) have sounds like it would be a nice upgrade.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

This is very good but it needs to be implemented in all the platform versions, not just the desktop app.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@reck,

What’s this Windows 10 version of 1Password you mention? I run Windows 10 both at home and work but use the “normal” version. Should I move over to this other version? If it’s being developed with new features that the normal version doesn’t (yet) have sounds like it would be a nice upgrade.

It's a brand new app we're building on top of Microsoft's new Universal Windows Platform, it's meant to allow the app to run on Windows 10 mobile devices and Windows 10 computers.

It's in the beta stage of development but it is not meant to replace the classic desktop version you're using now since the platform is limited to Windows 10 and/or may not support all of the flexibility that the desktop apps have.

You can find the app in the Windows 10 Store, search for 1Password Beta. Note that this is meant to be used with 1Password for Families and Teams services and does not support browser extensions just yet.

@tonydow,

This is very good but it needs to be implemented in all the platform versions, not just the desktop app.

We are planning to do that. Right now, it's already implemented on OS X, iOS and the Windows 10 beta app. We plan to extend this to other platforms as soon as we can.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

If it is implemented on iOS where do I find it?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @tonydow,

Long tap on the password to select Large Type.

Which will give you this:

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I know about large type. This thread is about positional numbers under large type.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tonydow: Sorry for the confusion! This discussion is actually about Windows PCs. 1Password for iOS doesn't have positional numbers, but the larger size certainly helps. The numerical identifiers are something we may add in the future. ;)

@reck: Here's a direct link to the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app as well, in case that helps. Cheers! :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds like the Windows 10 version isn't for me then. I don't use windows mobile or use the families feature yet. Also I couldn't manage without browser logins.

By calling the version I'm using "classic" it sounds like you see the future with the Windows 10 version with the plan down the road to discontinue the classic version. Is that the idea? Can't imagine you intend to develop two version for the same platform long term.

If the main benefit of the Windows 10 version is the ability to run on both the desktop & Windows mobile, do you actually think Windows mobile will still be around say in a couple of years? Would be interesting to hear as developers where you think that platform is going.

Brenty to be fair to @tonydow Mike did make it sound like this feature was available on iOS as well. Large text isn't what we're talking it, although it may help with character counting. Although we are talking about the Windows desktop version I do have a couple of iOS devices so it would have been useful to hear if it had been available on iOS as its not available on Windows yet.

Hearing it's available on the Mac doesn't surprise me and makes me feel like I want to go on a rant about how yet again the Windows platform seems to be treated like a second class citizen but I'll hold off this time :)

So it sounds like I'll have to wait until a new version of 1password then, hopefully it's not too far off.

Thanks for the responses.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds like the Windows 10 version isn't for me then. I don't use windows mobile or use the families feature yet. Also I couldn't manage without browser logins.

@reck: I think you may be right! While the main focus of the 1Password for Windows 10 beta is currently on 1Password for Families/Teams and its built with touch in mind, I primarily use it in "desktop mode" on my Windows 10 machines. It also has growing support for Dropbox vaults, and we're hopeful that Microsoft will allow Windows Store (UWP) apps more flexibility in the future. However, the 1Password for Windows (version 4) desktop app sounds like it has just what you need, so there's nothing wrong with sticking with what works for you!

By calling the version I'm using "classic" it sounds like you see the future with the Windows 10 version with the plan down the road to discontinue the classic version. Is that the idea? Can't imagine you intend to develop two version for the same platform long term.

Though I can see where it could be misconstrued, I don't think Mike was referring to 1Password 4 itself as "classic" but rather "classic Windows", such as traditional desktop applications for Windows 7 and up, which won't work on phones at all, and struggle a bit on tablets since they were designed for a keyboard and mouse — as all apps were for decades!

In a perfect world, you'd be right: we'd have "1Password to rule them all" — a single app on Windows. But given that neither "desktop" apps like 1Password 4 nor "tablet" apps like 1Password for Windows 10 are able to fill all the roles that we (and our customers) need them to, we'll have both for the foreseeable future. After all, you (and I) don't want to give up browser integration, but at the same time using that same app with a touchscreen difficult (assuming you can run it in the first place).

If the main benefit of the Windows 10 version is the ability to run on both the desktop & Windows mobile, do you actually think Windows mobile will still be around say in a couple of years? Would be interesting to hear as developers where you think that platform is going.

While its nice to be able to run 1Password for Windows 10 on a phone, its main benefit is that it's really comfortable to use on touchscreen PCs of all shapes and sizes...and today that's most PCs! Frankly, if we weren't able to build this single app and have it run on all Windows 10 devices, I'm not sure we'd have an app for Windows phones at all going forward. It's a great side benefit, rather than a reason for the app's existence.

Brenty to be fair to @tonydow Mike did make it sound like this feature was available on iOS as well. Large text isn't what we're talking it, although it may help with character counting. Although we are talking about the Windows desktop version I do have a couple of iOS devices so it would have been useful to hear if it had been available on iOS as its not available on Windows yet.

Oh I couldn't agree more that it would be great to have on all platforms! But there's a time and place for 1Password for iOS feature requests, and it isn't right now in the Windows forum. There just isn't much the Windows team can do to make that happen. :lol:

Hearing it's available on the Mac doesn't surprise me and makes me feel like I want to go on a rant about how yet again the Windows platform seems to be treated like a second class citizen but I'll hold off this time :)

Actually 1Password for iOS had it first, sans numbers, so don't hate on the Mac. Then it was added with that improvement to 1Password for Mac. While these things are much easier to do on those platforms (and UWP), somehow I think we'll find a way to add them to the desktop app as well — perhaps with additional improvements. We're working to improve consistency across all platforms, but the reality is that "simple" things like this are only really simple when the tools are there, and all platforms are not created equal in that regard. We won't let that stop us, but it can certainly slow things down.

So it sounds like I'll have to wait until a new version of 1password then, hopefully it's not too far off. Thanks for the responses.

Any time! While it's impossible to say when it will be finished, we're working on an updated 1Password for Windows desktop to support 1Password for Families/Teams. Thanks for sharing our passion for making 1Password better — on all platforms! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.