Loss of field focus on password entry

Options
Davert
Davert
Community Member

When I enter from 1Password, the focus no longer stays in the password field, so I can't just hit Return to submit the form (in Safari). This is rather inconvenient since it means I have ot use the mouse much more. Any fix would be very nice.

1Password Version: 6.1 Agilebits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.4
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: n/a

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Davert,

Thanks for taking the time to report the problem you noticed! You'll be happy to hear our developers have already squashed this bug, and the fix is in the latest update for the 1Password extension (version 4.5.5) which was just released yesterday.

If you installed the 1Password extension from the Safari Extension Gallery, it should automatically update itself. If you installed it from our own extension download site, you'll need to go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, select the 1Password extension, and click the button to install the update.

If you need more help with that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    Options

Wow! That WAS fast! Thanks! I'll download it right now. Or better, I'll use the extension gallery.

• Jacob
    Options

@Davert Drew does type too fast sometimes. :lol: I personally recommend the extension gallery version. It's great.

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    Options

Got it and problem went away instantly! Should have mentioned it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for confirming that solved the problem for you. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• braindump
    braindump
    Community Member
    Options

I find this loss of focus behavior is present, yet inconsistent, using 1Password extension v4.5.5 in Safari, Firefox and Chrome (on OS X 10.10.5). I'm seeing it on sites with multiple page logins, such as Google. Any ideas how to rectify?

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    Options

I will admit I had it come back until I turned on “automatically submit.” That seems to solve it.

• braindump
    braindump
    Community Member
    Options

Good point, I do not use auto submit.

Over time, I notice my credentials on some websites are populated by 1P in the wrong fields. I have attributed this to website changes to the way fields are identified in the HTML form. To resolve that, I just submit the credentials and save a new 1P record (containing the updated form info).

In these cases, where the form has changed, I'd rather not auto-submit credentials in the wrong fields. Thus, I don't use that feature.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @braindump,

Websites are rather prone to change, and you’re right, sometimes those changes include changes in the way your sign in fields are labelled. When this happens, the best thing to do is save a new Login for that site so that you can help 1Password relearn which fields it needs to fill (which it sounds like you’re already doing).

In these cases, where the form has changed, I'd rather not auto-submit credentials in the wrong fields. Thus, I don't use that feature.

Hopefully this doesn’t happen too often. In my experience, when websites change their fields, it’s more likely that 1Password will fail to fill entirely. We do what we can to ensure that 1Password isn’t filling fields indiscriminately. However, I can see your reasoning for leaving auto submit disabled.

I find this loss of focus behavior is present, yet inconsistent, using 1Password extension v4.5.5 in Safari, Firefox and Chrome (on OS X 10.10.5)

The inconsistent part is frustrating, from a bug-tracking point of view, as it makes it more difficult for us to reproduce, and therefor more difficult to squash. I’ve turned off auto-submit and tried a few sites and I’m not able to reproduce it yet.

Could you tell us a bit more about how you’re filling with 1Password? For example, I use ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) to open 1Password mini, I start typing the name of the item I wish to use, then hit ‘Enter’ when it’s highlighted. 1Password will open a new tab to the correct URL and fill my details. I also tested by going to the website and opening the sign in page manually, then using ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) to fill my details. So far, the sites I’m testing seem to hold focus on that password field.

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    Options

I browse to the page, then command-option to autofill and if there's more than one choice, I either arrow or type to get there. However I will have to look into starting with 1Pmini.

• braindump
    braindump
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@Megan thanks for your response. I fill in passwords using ⌘\ which is the key command I have specified for the "Fill login on current web page" General preference. When 1Password mini opens and there are multiple options, I typically navigate to the correct option using the arrow keys on my keyboard, then press the Return key. Once the field is filled, I press the Return key again to submit the form (but that only works when the field populated by 1Password still has focus).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Davert ,

Thanks for confirming your workflow! Maybe I’m lazy (or we could say ‘efficient’) but I love having 1Password do the hard work of opening the tabs and going to the appropriate website for me. It saves uncountable bookmarks in my browser toolbar. ;)

Hi @braindump,

Great detail - thanks! Hmmm, you mention navigating to the correct item in the list. Do you find that it happens more frequently if you have multiple Logins for the page in question? (I might be grasping at straws here).

• braindump
    braindump
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan I don't see that pattern. I will keep tabs over the next week to see a) if there's a relationship to whether 1P has multiple items for the site, and b) on which particular sites this occurs.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @braindump,

I see loss of focus if I try to log into a Google account and you're right, it is to do with multi-page logins. As a precaution we only focus on a password field and with multi-page logins the first page doesn't have one. What I'm unsure of is how easy it would be to untangle as we purposely don't want Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords to happen if we fill just a username as a precaution that this isn't the intended behaviour. Where focus is left doesn't have to be seen as directly connected to automatically signing in though even though they currently are in the code. How difficult it would be to detangle the two is valid question.

What should happen in all other instances though is if we fill a password that's where focus is left. If you're seeing an example where it isn't please do let us know. I'm unsure what we may do in the case of multi-age logins, we will have to ponder.

• braindump
    braindump
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables For the case of Google sign-in, the email field (the only field on the first page in a multi-page process) has focus when the page is initially displayed. Would it be possible to simply retain focus on the field that has already focus when 1P is instantiated to populate a form?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@braindump: It's certainly a possibility, though I suspect it's more complex than that. When I fill my Google logins, sometimes it seems to also be filling fields that are not currently visible. And ultimately when you're interacting with a webpage, 1Password cannot necessarily control what gets focus if a script changes icon the fly, either after another action takes place, or upon loading another. Definitely something we can investigate though.

• braindump
    braindump
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I can see how the hidden fields can cause an issue. Anyway, thanks to the team for paying attention to this issue.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hello @braindump,

It's still a good question and one we will look into.

ref: BRAIN-187

• braindump
    braindump
    Community Member
    Options

I see this is now fixed in Mac v6.3. Thanks for your attention to this issue!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@braindump: Thanks for following up! There won't be a one-size-fits-all solution, but I'm glad to hear that the update helped! Be sure to let us know if you encounter any other issues. :)

This discussion has been closed.