Moving to Family [currently only 1Password for Mac has a "Teams/Family-only" mode]

Options
face
face
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Families

Hi, i've moved to Family.
1) how to delete my main old vault (that now don't need anymore) ? Seems impossible.
2) i'd like also to delete shared vault but seems impossible too.
3) my shared vault says that i've 2 items in it (in 1P web family interface) but i've no items in it
4) in quest to conquer there's still Have a recovery plan, i've read at the article but frankly don't understand how to hide / conquer that.
5) in 1Password for iPhone i'd like to arrange my favorites in all vaults but seems not possible, it's only possible to arrange them by each vault but non all vault, may you please add also this important option ?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, i've moved to Family.

@face: Great! I"m glad to hear that you're enjoying 1Password for Families that much! :chuffed:

1) how to delete my main old vault (that now don't need anymore) ? Seems impossible.

While it's "impossible" to delete a primary vault from 1Password itself, you can do this on the device itself.

2) i'd like also to delete shared vault but seems impossible too.

The Family's "Shared" vault cannot be deleted. After all, it's the whole Family's! However, you can simply not use it if you choose. I hardly use my own at this stage, in favour of vaults shared with specific Family members, but I do have a handful of items in there — mainly contact and credit card info that everyone in the Family might need in an emergency.

3) my shared vault says that i've 2 items in it (in 1P web family interface) but i've no items in it

Okay that's just weird. Do they show up in the vault in any of the apps? Are you certain you're viewing All Items and they aren't just in a specific category? Did you perhaps delete some items previously, or was this a "Team" with data before it was a "Family"? I wonder if there's some glitch related to migration or Trash.

4) in quest to conquer there's still Have a recovery plan, i've read at the article but frankly don't understand how to hide / conquer that.

This is actually really simple in 1Password for Families: invite someone else as an Owner. All Owners (and Admins) have the ability to begin the Recovery process for another member. And since it is impossible for you to recover yourself if you forget your Master Password or lose your Account Key, this Quest is aimed at making everyone recoverable. :pirate:

5) in 1Password for iPhone i'd like to arrange my favorites in all vaults but seems not possible, it's only possible to arrange them by each vault but non all vault, may you please add also this important option ?

Correct. Since Favorites are items in individual vaults, they are attached to the vault itself (or rather, they're in the vault). We're exploring ways to make it easier to manage, but currently these can be managed only on a per-vault basis.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

While it's "impossible" to delete a primary vault from 1Password itself, you can do this on the device itself.

Sure ? How ? I've tried on my iPhone to delete my primary vault cause now i use only my primary Family vault but i don't understand how to do ...

The Family's "Shared" vault cannot be deleted.

I'd like to rename it: will be possible in a near future ?

I wonder if there's some glitch related to migration or Trash.

Correct: it reads 2 item in trash ...

this Quest is aimed at making everyone recoverable. :pirate:

Obviously this family member cannot access to our private data, nor our password, isn't it ?

We're exploring ways to make it easier to manage, but currently these can be managed only on a per-vault basis.

Yes, please do as possible to implement a way to manage that.

Thanks for all your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure ? How ? I've tried on my iPhone to delete my primary vault cause now i use only my primary Family vault but i don't understand how to do ...

@face: Sorry for the misunderstanding! Since you didn't specify which app you were referring to, I think this was kind of a hypothetical. You seemed to have some version information from OS X (the OS and extension) and iOS (the 1Password app), so I didn't want to assume anything.

You can do this the same way you'd start over with a "clean slate" with any app: delete it and its data and start over. On iOS this is really quick and easy: just delete the app (the data will be removed along with it). Then you can set it up from scratch. However, I will say that you might want to hold off on this for now. While 1Password for Mac supports "Teams/Families-only mode" already, this is currently in beta on iOS. So once testing is complete and that's released publicly, you'll be able to have the same setup on both platforms: no primary local vault, with only Teams/Family vaults.

I'd like to rename it: will be possible in a near future ?

It's something we can consider in the future, but we don't currently have any plans to allow the default vaults ("Shared" and "Personal") to be renamed. They have specific purposes and we want those to be clear from the name. You can, however, create additional vaults with any name you like and share them with the whole Family, specific Family members, or just yourself.

Correct: it reads 2 item in trash ...

This may seem like a silly question, but it wasn't clear from your answer: do you see these items in the Trash in that vault? Trashed items are still items that very much exist. Are you seeing this in one of the apps? The web interface? Without more information I can only speculate.

Obviously this family member cannot access to our private data, nor our password, isn't it ?

Obviously without your Master Password and Account Key no one (including you) can access your data. After all, that's why we have recovery in the first place! Someone with the Recovery capability can simply begin Recovery for your account, which will allow you to create a new Master Password and Account Key. We (or a Family member) can't give those back to you because only you ever had them. As mentioned in the Recovery article you linked,

In the same way that we don’t have your Master Password or Account Keys, the Team Admins and Owners do not have access to anyone’s Master Passwords or Account Keys either. They only have access to the key that was used to encrypt the vault. This is what enables them to assist teammates who are locked out.

To find out the secret to the trick, including what Team Admins and Owners can and cannot see, check out our 1Password for Teams White Paper.

Yes, please do as possible to implement a way to manage that. Thanks for all your help!

Absolutely! It just isn't something that will happen overnight, since, as I mentioned, vaults (and their Favorites) are completely separate. If vaults weren't completely separate from each other, that would be a security concern for those of us sharing only certain ones with certain people. We don't have anything to announce currently, and it may be a long way off, but making it easier to manage Favorites across multiple vaults is something that we'd very much like to do — both for you and for ourselves.

Thanks for all the feedback, and be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.