How to transfer into sub folders

Janet_Northway
Janet_Northway
Community Member

Everything is going into "Logins" as I fill from Websites. How do I transfer them into sub folders, i.e Accounts, Account, Email Account or get them there in the first place when filling from Websites?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016

@Janet_Northway: It's sounds like you may actually be referring to categories. Is that the case?

1Password for Mac: Categories

Categories are not folders, and are not customizable. Every item will be of one of these category types. But specifically if you're saving login credentials in your web browser using the 1Password extension, these will all be Login items.

That's what they're for, after all: filling saved login credentials in the browser. Having them stored as Login items is what allows 1Password to know what to do with them, and also makes sure that they include all the basic information 1Password will need for you to use them (username, password, submit, and then some).

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• Janet_Northway
    Janet_Northway
    Community Member

Thank you for your speedy reply and the link to Categories which is very helpful. I'm new at this and will attempt to word my question better.

At first I had saved my login to iCloud in "Logins". But later thought I had done it wrong when I saw "iCloud" (as a Category?) under "Accounts". So then I deleted it from my Logins and put it under "Accounts". That was confusing so I submitted my original question to you.

Now my question has become:

Why does Accounts > Account > Email Account, Instant Messenger, FTP Account, Generic Account, ICloud, Itunes, Amazon 3s, Internet Provider, Database, Router, Server have iCloud in there? Isn't it a login and not an Account? If it's both a login and an Account, what kind of information would one put under Accounts > Account > iCloud? I have a desktop, but your answer might fit for both desktop and Mac.

• Janet_Northway
    Janet_Northway
    Community Member

I also have an iPhone and an iPad.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Janet_Northway,

I'm sorry for the confusion! It took me a while to get used to 1Password's organization as well, so I'm happy to answer your question.

As the User Guide article says, there are two types of categories in 1Password: what I like to call the "magical filling categories", and the "FYI categories". If you want to fill something in on a website, that information should be in one of the magical filling categories, which would be Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities. So you do want to have your iCloud details stored in the Logins category, because this will ensure that you can fill in those details on the iCloud webpage.

As for all the other categories, including the Accounts category, these are really just 'For Your Information'. You can use these categories, or you can ignore them completely. We try to have a wide variety of categories to suit all our users' particular needs, but its doubtful that you'll have items in each and every category. (For example, I've never used the Outdoor License, Database or Server categories.) If you already have all the information you need in your iCloud Login item, there might be no need to create a separate 'Account' entry for it. Honestly, I'm not sure what information I need about my iCloud account beyond my Login details. I store the answers to my Security Questions inside the Login in a custom field, and that's all I really need to know. How you choose to organize things might be different though - I'm always learning new ways to set things up from inventive users. :)

(This advice will be the same whether we're talking about your desktop, your Mac, or your mobile devices.)

Please let me know if you have any further questions - we're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.