Folders suddenly gone

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi
I used to have a single primary vault only and was using folders.
Then I added a personal vault and also a personal vault shared by my colleague.
Folders were still available.

The I moved all my items from the original primary vault to my personal vault and removed all folders from the primary vault. Now I can no longer seem to add any folders. Please note the little 'Folders' subsection in the lefthand navigation also does not show for any of may vaults.

Strangely, when adding the Demo Vault I can see folders...
How can I get back folders for my Personal Vaults?

(Note: I am not using 1password for teams - I am aware that this doesn't allow for folders. I am also aware that All Vaults will hide folders).

Any help greatly appreciated
marcel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @mb1347,

I'm not too sure how much sense my response to your other query will make given you've stated here that you purposely moved everything out of your primary vault. We'll cross that bridge in the other thread at a guess :smile:

When you move an item from one vault to another the folder isn't maintained. I've checked 1Password 4 and 5 for Mac and they behave in the same way, the folder information is lost as the folder was a distinct item in that vault and wasn't copied over.

What it means is that currently your folder structure is lost.

So what can be done about it?

If you only made minimal use of folders I would probably recommend recreating them by hand as the quickest and easiest route to resolve this but that really is only practical if you did make minimal use of folders. I could be wrong but I suspect that if users make use of folders it's rarely minimal.

So if we say suggestion one is out of the question what else might be done?

One route would be to make use of the backups created by 1Password and return to a previous point in time where your items were still in your primary vault. We could then export the vault in the 1Password Interchange Format (.1pif) which, when exported as All Items includes the folders. We could then use this after returning to the current state and import this into the right vault.

We could also replace the sync container for the Primary vault with a new one after restoring the backup so that the primary vault once again contains all of your items and we remove the personal vault you've created. This relates to the other query you had meaning we should probably merge these threads before too much information gets scattered between the two.

Now the use of backups is definitely possible, it's just there are a lot of steps because it's about backing up the current state, restoring, grabbing what we need, restoring the newest backup to return the point before using the backup, setting up sync for all vaults again and also using what we grabbed.

So before we start we need to decide

1. Is this what you want to do? It probably is unless your folder usage was minimal.
    2. What to do about your Primary and personal vault configuration. As we are discussing in your other thread the point of the Primary vault is what you seem what you're using this new personal vault for. The steps involved in recovering your folders will differ if we want to revert to an older version of your Primary vault when everything was still intact in there or if you still want to have this MyVault and an empty Primary vault.

We would also need to be aware that any changes you've made to your actual items, be it the addition of new items or the modification of existing ones, would need to be manually transferred over as we're trying to merge two different points in time using met of the old data and just select changes from the current point in time. If you haven't made any additions or modifications since you first added this personal vault that's one less thing to worry about.

It's all very doable, it will just take a number of steps to make sure nothing is lost along the way as the contents of your vaults is important and we don't want to risk anything.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi,
    thanks for the in-depth answer, though you misunderstood my question. My issue is not that I 'lost' the folder structure I recently set up, but that there does no longer seem to be functionality to view, add or assign folders. I.e. I am happy to start all over, but there is no way to manage folders or assign an item to a folder; see attached screenshots:

Note:

• Primary (is primary vault)
    • 'Marcel' is a Personal Vault
    • The vault 'Marcel' does have items within it (I have just hidden them when making the screenshot).

Sorry for being not clear in my original question.
    I am sure I am overlooking the blatantly obvious, but I am a loss of how to get access to the folders feature. As I mentioned in my original question, when adding the 1Password Demo Vault I do see folders for that Vault.
    marcel

1.png 246K
    2.png 180.8K
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @mb1347 (Marcel),

The cause may sadly still be related It seems we may hide the Tags and Folders sections if there are none. As a test what happens if you try creating a new Folder in your Marcel vault using the menu option File > New Folder?

If I'm correct the Folder section in the Sidebar will become visible and would suggest the issue is that as the folder information has been stripped from all of your items that 1Password hid the section.

Honestly? I'd love to be wrong, we'll see what you report happens.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

ha!ha!
    You are a genius (and I am an idiot) :)
    The folders tag gets indeed hidden, and there is no way to add a folder to an item (at least none I could find, though I thought there was one in the past but I might be wrong)
    BUT, the File>New Folder did work, and then of course I can drag and drop.
    Yayyyyyyyy!!!!!
    Thanks so much
    m

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mb1347,

I'm so glad to see that Little Bobby was able to help you get things straightened out!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.