If I am heavy user of Chrome/IE extensions on Win 7, should I wait to go to Families?

Options
mzehner
mzehner
Community Member

I have Mac+Windows bundle, and I use the browser extensions at work on Windows 7 about a million times per day. Dave's recent email about extending the special to April 14 made it sound like the only Families solution for Win 7 right now is the web app, but I assume that won't autofill web forms, right? I do want to migrate to Families before the special ends, but not if I have to give up auto-fill on Windows. What are my options, if any? Will a new Families-friendly Win 7 app be available before the special ends?

1Password Version: Mac 6.1, Windows 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: ChrmWin 4.5.5.90, Sfri 4.5.3, ChrmMac 4.5.4.
OS Version: Mac 10.10.5, Win 7 Ent SP 1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:purchase-verification, kb:lost-license

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mzehner,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. At present the web interface is the only option for Windows 7, and you are correct that it doesn't have extension support. We're working to bring a native way to access Families/Teams from Windows 7, but it is unlikely it'll be ready by April 14th.

That said, you can still sign up for an account now, and receive the early adopter benefits. Even if you end up not paying for the subscription right away (which will cause any stored data to go into read-only mode) this gives you a little time to play with 1Password for Families and see how it works. When the Windows 7 option is finalized you can decide if you'd like to subscribe or not.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• mchristensen80
    mchristensen80
    Community Member
    Options

mzehner,

I love the idea behind the Families product. I quickly migrated all of my passwords to Families. It works great on my Mac & iPad, iPhone. And, I even like the convenience of using the web interface occasionally. Major problem though... I heavily use 1Password at work on my Windows 7 PC. The lack of Families support in the Windows 7 environment & the lack of Chrome browser extension support has been painful. In hindsight, I wish I had waited to migrate all of my passwords.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing your experience @mchristensen80. We're acutely aware of the need for a Windows 7 compatible Families offering, beyond the web interface. Our Windows team is working very hard to bring that to us.

Ben

• mzehner
    mzehner
    Community Member
    Options

@mchristensen80, Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate your insight. That sounds like just the kind of pain I'd like to avoid if possible!

Hi @bwoodruff, thanks for your prompt reply, sorry for my tardy one. I'm a bit confused about your suggestion of "playing" with Families, but am interested in trying to juggle the two versions until the new Win7 extension is available, if it's possible - is it? I understand it would probably involve some manual "syncing" of new/updated passwords between the two versions/vaults during that period.

For the most part, the only passwords I need access to on my PC are my work-related ones - but I need access to those on my Mac & iOS devices too. Most of my non-work-related passwords I only need to access on my Mac and iOS devices. So what I'm envisioning would be to MOVE my personal passwords to the Families personal vault, but COPY the work-related ones, so that they would continue be available via the Dropbox-synced non-Families vault. I understand that any changes made to the work passwords in the Dropbox vault would need to be manually updated in the Families vault copies, but (for better and worse) they don't need to change very often so that doesn't bother me much.

Am I correctly understanding what's possible? Any reasons I should not attempt this approach? Thanks very much.

Matt

• Jacob
    Options

@mzehner I think moving and copying as you mentioned is a great solution until Windows 7 support is here. That will allow you to keep using things on your work computer as you're used to, but also be able to access everything on 1Password.com. The only downside is whenever you change something or add a new item, that won't be synced across vaults. ;)

• mzehner
    mzehner
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth Thanks for the confirmation, I can live with that for now. Looking forward to the new Win7 app, of course. It will help with getting my family fully onboard too, as most of them are Windows users (and iOS, fortunately).

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @mzehner. If you have any further questions or feedback along the way, we're here. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.