Smarter matching of domain and login

Options

I appreciate the fact that 1Password has gotten smarter about allowing logins for the same site to work across different domains, for example allowing a login to apple.com on icloud.com as well.

However, I'm running into a problem repeatedly, where 1Password is not going about auto-filling very intelligently: Say I have login A for amazon.com and login B for amazon.de, both are saved with the exact domain they are intended for. Login B for amazon.de is even marked as a favorite. Yet whenever I'm auto-submitting on amazon.de, Login A (for amazon.com) is auto-filled.

How about checking which login matches the domain most closely, or matches the domain at all, and then helpfully offer me the additional logins that relate as an option to pick from?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:picking the right login for domain

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Jonathan Lang. I'm sorry for the trouble you're having. We made this change to how 1Password matches Amazon domains back in November because we learned from customers that the credentials from one Amazon domain can be used on any of the various international Amazon domains and not having the credentials available was causing quite a bit of confusion for some users.

Since all items are fully encrypted, 1Password stores a hash of the URL so that it is much faster to look up the URL. Amazon is one of a few domains that we have special rules for handling, so across all those international domains, the hash can match in a way that allows us to look up the credentials before we have to do any decryption.

Right now, the matching process only looks at the hashes, but I do see what you're saying about further filtering these based on comparing the actual URLs. If you've gone to the trouble to save two logins, one with amazon.com and one with amazon.de, we should prefer the one that matches the URL of the page you're actually viewing. I've opened an issue to address this. I can't give a timeframe for when we can expect it, but it's on our list now.

In the meantime, there are some things you can do:

1. Make sure the logins have the same URL subdomain. So, if one has www.amazon.com then the other should have www.amazon.de. Whatever is in the www place should match between them. This will cause 1Password to prompt you to choose between them even when using Command-\.
    2. If you use one of these logins the majority of the time, you can edit the other one to set its Display field to Never. This will prevent it being found when you sign in in the browser. But, you can still use it with open and fill or via copy and paste.

I hope those workarounds help for the time being until we can get the filtering improved even further.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

ref: OPM-3943

• Jonathan Lang
    Jonathan Lang
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 great, thanks for your help! This all I could've asked for, a solid technical explanation, a workaround and a promise to address the issue in future updates. Perfect support!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your gracious response, @Jonathan Lang! I'm glad I was able to help a bit in the short term. I'll be sure to update this thread when we have the improvements I mentioned in place.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.