Google password autofill

Did you change the behavior of the application to autofill my Google password on the separate page? When logging into Google the page displays a field for your Email Address and a Next button. When I click the Next button it displays a Password field and a Sign In button. Previously I would need to hit my keyboard shortcut again to get 1Password to fill in the password field. Recently as it switched to the next "page" the password was already filled in. This is freaking me out because I thought my browser was automatically saving the password, which I have not told it to do. I assume that 1Password is doing this but please confirm.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb-search:google, kb:browser-extension

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@frankly:

Previously I would need to hit my keyboard shortcut again to get 1Password to fill in the password field. Recently as it switched to the next "page" the password was already filled in.

If it's any consolation, I'm seeing exactly the same as you—and have been trying to work out where, if anywhere, on my Mac that password might have been saved. I'm happy it's not been saved anywhere (other than in 1Password) but I see the same as you even when I ensure that Stay signed in on the Google password page is not checked.

Stephen

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@frankly @Stephen_C It seems that Google may have changed the login flow a bit. In the past, I believe these were separate pages, but now it looks like the password field is on the page even though it's only displaying the email field. I just tested this in a new Private Browsing window in Safari, and here's what I see:

Screenshot of querying Google sign-in page via Javascript console

Note that in the first case, the password field has a class of "hidden" and after entering the email address and pressing next, the class is removed. 1Password is simply filling the password field that is there. It is arguable whether 1Password should be filling this non-visible (I don't say "hidden" so as not to confuse with actual <input type="hidden"> fields.) field, but the alternative is to have to have 1Password fill multiple times on the same page, which feels tedious as well.

I hope this helps clarify what's happening here. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@jxpx777 many thanks for the very reassuring analysis, Jamie: it's very helpful. I couldn't for the life of me work out what was going on but never thought of "looking under the hood"! Following your explanation I'm entirely happy with the way 1Password is dealing with the page.

Stephen

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

My pleasure, @Stephen_C. I'm glad my explanation helped.

This discussion has been closed.