How can I log back in using my finger print?

Options
bechara_nasr
bechara_nasr
Community Member

I have an iPhone6 and have been using my finger print to log on. Now I did forget my password and am being asked to use it to get back in. 2 questions: 1/ any way I can reset the app to let me log in using my finger print? 2/ if not, can you please tell me what are the constraints of the password I came up with: number of characters? special characters? numbers? etc. Not asking to answer re my specific password, just the generic constraints one has to observe -- that would help me remember the password. Thanks

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@bechara_nasr - I am going to move this from the Mac section of the forum to the iOS section, where you should get more approriate help. I trust you won't mind.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@becara_nasr - When you activate Touch ID, your master password gets stored in secure memory on your iOS device. When the operating system confirms to 1Password that it is your registered fingerprint, it then passes that master password to 1Password so it can unlock. This means that your data are never decrypted without the master password, even though you use your fingerprint as the first trigger. And, because that secure memory gets cleared anytime your iOS device is restarted, once that happens, you must manually enter your master password, rather than letting iOS supply it because iOS no longer can do that for you. This applies to all applications that use Touch ID, not just 1Password. So, the answer to your first question is that there is no way to regain access to 1Password with your fingerprint, unless you first enter the master password. You seem to already know that no one but you has your master password. AgileBits never receives it or any information about it.

About your second question, I have a question for you in return. Did you enter a password hint when you set up 1Password for the first time? That hint, if you made one, should appear after you have entered an incorrect password a few times (three, on my iPad anyway). You don't have any limit on how many times you can try to enter your master password, so don't worry about how many tries you need.

Be sure to read this article and the links it contains. There may be something there to remind you about your password. I lost or forgot my Master Password. Help!

Finally, there are very few constraints that I know of that would limit what you chose for a master password. Advce is to avoid special characters like those with diacritical marks. Here is what the iOS User Guide says in the section about creating a master password:

Enter a Master Password to keep your data secure. Your Master Password should be strong and unique. It also important to choose a memorable password because you won’t be able to access your data without it! We don’t store passwords and cannot help you retrieve your Master Password if you forget it.

Tip: How do I choose a good Master Password? has some advice for creating strong, memorable passwords.

In the User Guide that last line has a live link to this: How do I choose a good Master Password? I only mention this in case you happened to read this when you set up your master password. I thought it might help remind you of what you did.

The news in the end isn't good, if you cannot remember your own master password. No one has it but you, no one can reset it without entering the old one first, and no one can give you access to your data without it. This is all a part of the security design, to protect your private information. But it has the unpleasant effect of requiring you to start over from scratch if you can't remember it.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bechara_nasr,

so sorry to hear that you can't unlock 1Password due to the forgotten Master Password. This would be a nightmare for me.

@hawkmoth's great answer is absolutely correct. Please follow the guidance and suggestions from his post and let us know how it went. Keeping my fingers crossed the password hint helps you remember your Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.