1Password support in Brave browser - see AgileBits reply on April 9 for details.

Options
2»

Comments

• steven_chanin
    steven_chanin
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Here is the behavior I'm seeing.

If I am on the the page for a website which is stored in 1Password and I hit cmd-\, it populates the passwords into that page. That is perfect.

If I want to go to a different site and have 1Password populate the login, I open a new blank tab in Brave. Then I hit cmd-. I type the name of the saved entry and click enter. What I expect is that IN THE CURRENT NEW TAB, I would be taken to that page and the fields would be filled out. What actually happens is that ANOTHER BLANK TAB is opened & then the second blank tab is directed to the new page.

So rather than ending up in a situation with two tabs:
    [ Site I was at before ] [Site I've just asked 1Password to take me to]

I end up with 3 tabs
    [ Site I was at before ] [New Tab] [Site I've just asked 1Password to take me to]

This is an annoyance, not a big problem. I just wanted you to know about it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @steven_chanin,

The extension will normally use an empty page and it might sound odd but this does require us understanding what an empty page looks like when viewed from the perspective of the extension. With Brave it's all very black box as they incorporate our extension into their browser. This differs from the other browsers where we develop for the browser and can test by installing the working code directly.

I don't know if it will help at all but let's say you've got a tab open and you're visiting site A for which you have a Login item in your vault. You now want to visit site B. When you first open 1Password mini while the first tab is in focus it will show you the Login item for Site A but if you start searching and select a Login item that doesn't match to the open page the default behaviour is to open an new tab any load the page into that. This may offer a workaround to this undesirable behaviour. The only time this won't work is if you want to open two different accounts for the same site simultaneously. Not ideal but it may help.

• rrnowell
    rrnowell
    Community Member
    Options

Re: Brave Browser

Although I have been able to use 1Password with Brave, I really would like to see both Brave and 1Password work together to refine the interface. Can you let us Brave and 1Password users know what kind of collaborative effort is taking place to effect this for us as users of both products?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rrnowell: As lil bobby mentioned, the Brave folks don't offer any way for 3rd parties to integrate with them, so we don't have the ability to build something there, much less "refine the interface". We collaborate with them in the sense that our door is always open if they run into issues, but the implementation is solely in their hands. On one hand, it could be a much better user experience if they allowed users to install 3rd party extensions (it's based on Chromium, after all), and we'd be able to build our own and fix it when it breaks. But on the other hand, many extensions are incredibly invasive and a very real threat to privacy, so at the same time I can't say that I disagree with their approach. If you want the benefits that Brave offers, you have to play by their rules, which are designed to prioritize privacy. Otherwise there are plenty of alternatives out there that offer more flexibility, if that's your priority.

• steven_chanin
    steven_chanin
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Just wanted to make sure you knew that Brave was open source and up on Github (https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop). I just checked and they accept pull requests, so I think you'd be able to contribute improvements to the Brave / 1Password integration if you wanted. From my brief look at the repo, it appears that the password manager integration is JS code that connects to an extension (e.g. https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/blob/16ac2ab4660b640e188ccb84ba5012edd372c172/js/constants/passwordManagers.js and https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/blob/ac63fb4e2aab77f3cf96d08981ef8a33832a8c2f/test/about/extensionsTest.js) so it might be the kind of extension tweaks you refer to, but just by working directly with them vs installing a 3rd party extension. Apologies if that was all known / obvious. In any case, I appreciate 1Password, so thanks!

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @steven_chanin,

I'm glad to hear 1Password is helping and it's really great to see browsers such as Brave and others focusing on such important issues like privacy. Thanks for linking to the GitHub account, it's great to know where to look if we need to troubleshoot. At the moment, we have filling and extension connectivity issues to focus on which are affecting users on all browsers so we'll need to tend to those issues first. So to be fully frank, I don't see us making any pull requests to Brave to resolve these issues in the foreseeable future. I'm sorry about this but we have to make a priority call on the work here.

If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to write again. We're always here to help.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.