Applying a 1Password login clears the Title field in this Support Forum Question form

When I was filling in the four "Additional Information" fields on my most recent forum question, I realized I could use 1Password to fill those fields in the next time.

On an empty question form, I filled in the four values and did a Save new Login, choosing the Never Submit option.

Then I cleared the Additional Info fields and filled in a dummy Title and dummy narrative description. When I tested my new "AgileBits Question" login, I was pleased to see it fill in the Info fields, but I was disappointed it cleared the Title field. The description field was left intact.

I realize my "AgileBits Question" login will work if I remember to use it before filling in the Title field.

-- Ward

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @Ward. Honestly, I would recommend against saving this form as a login. The reason for this is because we need the most up-to-date information possible in these various fields for the 1Password and extension version. The OS Version should be automated and we're considering ways to automate the others as well. But if you save these as a login, your extension and 1Password will eventually update to newer versions and the mismatch could confuse things and make getting accurate support information more difficult. I hope that makes sense.

• Ward
    Ward
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

@jxpx777, I understand your concern. And I look forward to whatever automation you can add to this forum.

I pledge to keep my AgileBits Question login up-to-date in conjunction with my personal diary of Mac hardware & software. It's a FileMaker database currently with 8233 records; 132 of these are a log of every change to 1Password, starting from 1Password 2.6.5 (purchased on 27 Jun 08). My diary has been working well for all apps that "announce" updates in some manner. There are a handful, like Dropbox, that insist on automatically updating with no notification. I record these as best I can as "stealth" updates.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Ward,

To answer your original question though, my understanding is we don't interact with text areas like the one where we write our replies to each other, only input fields like the one used for the title. As such when you fill it also "fills" the title and I'm guessing you left the title blank when you created the template Login item.

I see Jamie's point though. I have a snippet in TextExpander which I intended to use as an example of what information we were looking for when answering a question that yielded us no clues. My snippet is woefully out of date and thus useless. This is more just an observation than anything else, especially given the 1Password Browser Extension should be updating automatically and without user intervention. That can sometimes hold true of even 1Password for Mac if you purchased it from the Mac App Store and set the App Store to automatic updates.

I see why the idea is appealing though :smile:

This discussion has been closed.