Beta is now the award winning desktop app on Windows 10?

dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Just saw the the new website and the advertisement.

As it seems the current UWP beta has already achieved higher levels.

I am still confused and in my opinion that shows that your marketing is very strong and is constantly trying to sell Windows support that is objectively isn't there.

And users that rely on that information will learn the hard way that it isn't ready yet on any Windows platform.

Comments

• gamma6
    gamma6
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Relax, it's probably a mistake on the Buy Now site. Here's what the others show:

• Hello @dahanbn,

You're right, the Windows 10 app is still in beta and we're working our tails off to ship it. I hope we are able to do that soon.

If you look at that chart on Desktop, you'll see what we were trying to achieve for the Award-Winning Desktop Apps section:

We are trying our best to be explicit that Families does not yet support older versions of Windows. On mobile we re-lay things out to be single column to support the narrower screens.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You imply that the current Win10 has already won awards. That isn't true, is it? If I read that as an unknowing user than I would expect a) that the app won sth and b) that the app is somehow in a stable test with a good and usable feature set.

@dahanbn: Off the top of my head I'm not completely sure which apps have won which awards, but I don't think awards are, uh...awarded to betas. But regardless that's not really being implied. You're kind of drawing your own conclusions, when what's really being said here is that our apps have won awards.

As far as I understand than will the current beta not be a full replacement for the desktop app. It is more a Windows universal app that will run on all Win10 devices. The true desktop is 1Passwordv4 and you're working hard to create a newer version of it with Family/Team support. And that would be the desktop app.

Well, if you want to nit-pick, a 1Password for Families subscription entitles you to use all of the apps — including 1Password for Windows. :unamused:

And your only Family version is still a beta. And from time to time your users could have problems to run it. Shortly, occurred a login problem with that many users weren't able to sign in into their existing accounts and therefore couldn't use beta.

I know our Windows 10 team is working hard to not only improve the beta, but to fix issues as they arise. I'm fairly certain that the issue you're describing has already been resolved, but I'm sorry if you were one of the folks who encountered this problem during testing. :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dahanbn,

How did you reach the page in the screenshot from the first post? I only ask because I can't find it and I'm wondering if we've changed it or I'm just being inept when surfing our own site.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Cheers @dahanbn, I was looking at the Families page. Yup, I don't know our own site well enough it seems :tongue:

• I agree on mobile it looks like we are trying to puff up our chest on the Windows 10 side of the world. But it's pretty clear on desktop what we are trying to achieve. It's just an unfortunate consequence of how we split the table to make it legible on mobile.

• gamma6
    gamma6
    Community Member

Why don't you just remove the "Windows 10" untill the app is finished? He has a point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Why don't you just remove the "Windows 10" untill the app is finished? He has a point.

@gamma6: Finished or not, it's still an option. Myself and others use it daily, and while it's incomplete, it's useful to a lot of people. I see no reason to hide it.

As it seems it isn't that clear. If you follow the various forums here than you will see each day topics from Windows users that joined families and found out the hard way that e.g. browsers extension not working and so on.

@dahanbn: This will always be unclear, given the idiosyncrasies (and perhaps schism) of today's Windows ecosystem. That isn't a problem we can solve, so we're not going to try; rather, we're working toward a day when both the 1Password for Windows 10 and desktop apps will work with 1Password Families/Teams, so even if someone downloads the "wrong" one, they just login and they have their data.

Could you explain what you are trying to achieve with that overview? I don't see it. I see you have for both version (Family and regular) a working Windows app (either Win10 or Win7). At least that tells your overview. But that isn't true for Family.

While The 1Password for Windows desktop app doesn't yet support 1Password Families/Teams, it's still a mature app that people can use (which is what I was getting at above). It's just lacking one important feature that we'd like it to have as soon as possible. 1Password Families/Teams doesn't render it completely obsolete. A Lot of people — myself included — would be upset if we killed it.

This discussion has been closed.