Dropbox on one of my devices won't sync with the others

Options
LeighMcG
LeighMcG
Community Member

Hi there, could use some help figuring this out. I have 1Password 6 licensed and installed on all of my devices, an iPhone, an iPad mini, a Mac Pro, a MacBook, and another MacBook. That other MacBook (mine, the other is shared) won't sync with the others. They're all set up to sync over Dropbox, but when I make changes on one device, the only one of the 6 it doesn't sync with is that MacBook.

Note that in 1Password on that MacBook, it tells me the "Last synced" time was currently 18 minutes ago. So it thinks it's syncing.

I wondered if it had made its own vault when I was initially setting it up, because I remembered having WiFi connectivity issues at the time. So, I tried disconnecting Dropbox from 1Password and then reconnecting, but that didn't help. I also tried reinstalling 1Password. Also didn't help.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:sync-options, ug:mac/sync-dropbox, kb-search:syncing incorrectly

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @LeighMcG,

There are a couple of possibilities here and at least one that would mean the last synced time in 1Password wouldn't be very useful.

I would recommend verifying that Dropbox syncing is working. If you had a test file from your working MacBook to your Dropbox folder does the other non-functional MacBook show the file?

If it does we at least know they're syncing and that the issue seems to be more related to 1Password.

Given a couple of the thing you've tried it sounds like you were trying to start over. Replacing the application bundle won't help though but we do have a guide that will which is available at How do I start over with an empty vault? (Mac). If you use this on the non-functional MacBook it will be like a fresh copy of 1Password is connecting to the Agile Keychain or OPVault container that you point it to.

Does anything here either help narrow down the cause or get syncing working again?

• LeighMcG
    LeighMcG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @littlebobbytables

I can confirm Dropbox is syncing, I use it every day for work and it's currently showing my last updated file that I synced at the office as being current.

I was trying to start over by deleting the app, but I only deleted the bundle.

However, I noted at the end you said:

it will be like a fresh copy of 1Password is connecting to the Agile Keychain or OPVault container that you point it to.

I have an Agile Keychain AND an OPVault... Is it possible my nonfunctioning laptop is using one file, while the rest of the devices are using another?

I don't want to try starting over with an empty vault just yet… I have hundreds of passwords saved and most of them are randomly generated, so I don't know them by heart.

• rudy
    Options

hi @LeighMcG,

If you have both an agilekeychain and an opvault then it is very likely that the non-functioning laptop is using a different file from the rest of your devices.

when you setup dropbox sync on the non-functioning laptop did you pick your dropbox folder or the agilekeychian file itself? I ran into a very similar situation when i picked the folder, it created an opvault for me instead of using the agilekeychain i already had there.

I would double check the sync settings on your non-functioning laptop and see if its pointed at the agilekeychain or the opvault, and similar for the other devices; they should indicate what file they're using in their corresponding sync settings.

Rudy Richter
    1Password for Mac Developer

This discussion has been closed.