Safari will not install 1Password extension on macbook pro

Options
ajlepel
ajlepel
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Mac

I just purchased the 1password single user on my macbook pro OS X version 10.9.5 all went well. I then tried to down load the safari extension and it would not install. The 1password app says version 4.4.3 but the my preferences says I'm running 1password 4.5.5. Don't understand that? I tried to install 1password 6 but I do not have version 10.10 Please help.

1Password Version: 4.5.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: ug:ios/extension, ug:ios/enable-extension, kb-search:cannot install safari extension, kb:safari-cannot-install-extension, kb:cannot-install-extension

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ajlepel: 1Password 6 requires Yosemite or El Capitan. Since you're using Mavericks 1Password 4 is the newest version you can use. Both, however, use the same extensions. When you say you "tried to down load the safari extension and it would not install", can you be more specific? Are you receiving some sort of error message? Please let me know!

• ajlepel
    ajlepel
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Brenty.....I am able to download the extension to the download button with the little downward arrow in the upper right margin of my Safari screen. When I double click on 1Password-4.5.5safariextz (199kb) I get this message. Safari can't install the extension. An error occurred while installing the extension 1Password. When I see the extension in the little downward arrow I also looked to see if it was in Finder in the downloads and applications. All I ever see is the 1Password 4 app.

• Hi @ajlepel ,

We have a couple of tips that may work for you. They are listed here:
    https://support.1password.com/safari-cannot-install-extension/

If after trying that, you still can not install the extension, please reply here and we can dig a little deeper.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• ajlepel
    ajlepel
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Kevin.....I found your suggestion earlier and I tried it but it did not work. On my own initiative I decided to try something else. I went to AgileBits and I looked for a list of legacy 1Password Safari extensions and found an entire page of them. Knowing that the most recent one was not working for me I kept downloading earlier and earlier versions until I found one that actually download and that I could install. The one that worked for me was 1Password-4.5.1.safariextz. It's not the most current but it works as best as I can tell. It does enable me to post userid and passwords to my logins. The BIG QUESTION is why does the current version not work, but the earlier version does? Perhaps later "systems" will allow me to upgrade to something more current. Something is definitely wrong with 4.5.5 and my working system. Hope you guys can resolve this. Tks for trying to help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The BIG QUESTION is why does the current version not work, but the earlier version does? Perhaps later "systems" will allow me to upgrade to something more current. Something is definitely wrong with 4.5.5 and my working system. Hope you guys can resolve this. Tks for trying to help.

@ajlepel: Unlike Firefox, there shouldn't be anything to prevent an older version of Safari from using the current 1Password extension, and was able to track down a Mavericks machine to test and confirm this myself. I didn't have any issues installing or using the 4.5.5 extension, and then I also tested it again after I updated Safari (I'd noticed an update was available).

I'm glad that the 4.5.1 extension is working for you, but it's something specific to your system that's causing this strange issue. Do you have updates that still need to be applied? Is there "security" software running on your Mac that may be interfering? Ultimately there isn't anything 1Password can do about this odd problem, but with some sleuthing perhaps an explanation — and solution — may present itself. Let me know what you find!

• ajlepel
    ajlepel
    Community Member
    Options

Seems odd doesn't it that my computer will install the 4.5.1 extension but not the 4.5.5. I'm wondering if now that 4.5.1 is installed and functioning beautifully, if an upgrade to 4.5.5 would work. How are upgrades of Safari extension passed along?

I have another comment. I noticed in the upper right portion of my screen where my clock and battery status are located I'm seeing a Key icon that does exactly the same thing as the 1Password icon in my header. Why are there two icons I can choose from?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ajlepel,

You're right, it's definitely odd that you're able to install 4.5.1 but not 4.5.5! I'm also curious if it will be able to update itself to the newer version. You're using OS X 10.9.5, and if I remember correctly, the version of Safari included with that OS X version should automatically update your extensions (that changed a bit in newer versions of Safari, depending on where the extension was downloaded).

If you open Safari and go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, then select the 1Password extension, do you see an 'Update' button anywhere? If there is an option to automatically update your extensions, is it enabled?

I noticed in the upper right portion of my screen where my clock and battery status are located I'm seeing a Key icon that does exactly the same thing as the 1Password icon in my header. Why are there two icons I can choose from?

It sounds like you might still have a component from an older version of 1Password running on your Mac. I don't know if that's related to the problem you're having with the extension, but we'll be happy to help remove that old component and see if it makes a difference with the extension issue. To help us figure out exactly what's going on, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• ajlepel
    ajlepel
    Community Member
    Options

Drew....i returned the diagnostics report on 3/30/16 at 12:00 PM

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ajlepel,

I wanted to check to make sure we received your diagnostics report email, but I couldn't find it when I searched for the email address associated with your forum account. After sending that email, did you receive a reply from the BitBot assistant? If so, please let us know the ticket ID from that response so we can track down your email and diagnostics report. On the other hand, if you didn't get an automated reply from BitBot, we may not have received your diagnostics report.

Out of curiosity, how did it go when trying to update the 1Password extension? I'm guessing that didn't work, but wondering if you saw the 'Update' option in the Extension preferences, and what happened when you tried that?

Also, when looking into this, I found out Safari 9 was also released for OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks). Sorry for any confusion! The good news is that in Safari 9, the 1Password extension is also available from the Safari Extension Gallery, so you can try installing it from there to see if that works. Before doing that, you'll need to uninstall the one that is currently installed (just find 1Password in the Extensions preferences in Safari and click the Uninstall button). Then, to try installing the latest version from the Safari Extensions Gallery:

• Open Safari and go to the menu for Safari > Safari Extensions...
    • If 1Password is listed at the top, click on that (if not, you can search for it in the 'Search' field).
    • Click the Install now link.

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• ajlepel
    ajlepel
    Community Member
    Options

Drew.....i sent the diagnostic report from my Yahoo.com email. It was addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. I'll run the report again and try resending it. I did find 1Password in the Safari Extensions page and it indicates that it is "Installed". Which in fact it is, but as we know it is the earlier version 1Password 4 version 4.4.3 Originally I thought it was 1Password 4.4.1 but the about 1Password says 4.4.3. Interesting when I go to my Safari >Preferences>Extensions page it says that I have 1Password 4 version 4.5.5. Okay I just resent the diagnostics report again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @ajlepel! I was able to find the diagnostics reports this time (we received two of them), and I just sent you an email a couple minutes ago to let you know I'd follow up with you here in the forums.

As it turns out, we probably didn't need the diagnostic report, and I think there's probably just some confusion about version numbers:

Originally I thought it was 1Password 4.4.1 but the about 1Password says 4.4.3. Interesting when I go to my Safari >Preferences>Extensions page it says that I have 1Password 4 version 4.5.5.

Those are actually the correct versions - the main 1Password app and the 1Password browser extension have different version numbers, so they aren't supposed to match each other (they're separate pieces of software that are on different development cycles). The last update for the 1Password 4 app was 4.4.3 (which is the latest one that supports OS X 10.9), and the most recent version of the 1Password extension is 4.5.5 (the same extension is actually used for 1Password 4, 5, and 6).

In other words, they are both up to date on your Mac and if they seem to be working correctly now, you should be all set. I'm very sorry for any confusion about the version numbers! Hopefully this helps to clear things up. But if you're having any trouble with 1Password, please let us know. Thanks! :)

ref: VJD-71645-676

This discussion has been closed.