[Bug] 1Password window hides itself sometimes when automatically opened for new password prompt

I'm using Win7 and have noticed of late that sometimes when you are on a site and have entered your login details for the first time and submit them, 1Password as it should will come up prompting you if you want to save the details or not; however on the odd occasion it seems this prompt, whilst it still does come up, it seems it hides itself somewhere and can't be visually seen; this is in Firefox.

How I noticed this was from time to time when clicking the 1Password icon in Firefox it wouldn't open when clicked; after awhile I figured out this was happening after it should have come up with the prompt; so I had to restart my browser to get it to work again.

When I closed my browser then the prompt window decided to appear (minimizing all windows doesn't show it).

So obviously the reason 1Password fails to open when clicked is because it already has a prompt window open, of which I cannot access.

This is getting really annoying as I have to restart my browser every time it does it and hope it can be fixed.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604 (15)
Extension Version: 4.4.3 (Firefox)
OS Version: 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cyphix333: That's really odd. Thanks for bringing this up! Does the same thing happen with Chrome or another browser?

I can't say I've encountered that myself with 1Password, but it sounds like something that happens to me on occasion, most memorably when opening URLs in Edge. Now, I don't mean to pick on Edge here because it probably has nothing to do with the browser itself; it simply happens to be my default in most cases.

So anyway, say I open a URL in OneNote. Nothing seems to happen. So I click it a couple more times ("Did I miss? Should I double-click?") until finally I see the Edge icon blinking in the task bar. It opened, but I guess because OneNote had focus it came up underneath. D'oh!

With the 1Password autosave dialog box, unlike Edge, isn't a full-fledged window and therefore doesn't show up in the task bar, where you might be alerted to its presence. The problem I'm having testing this is that I'm not able to get the autosave dialog to appear behind the browser at all — it's always on top, even when the browser window is clicked and focused:

Given that this isn't normal window behaviour, it makes sense that rebooting would resolve it. Can you tell me which version of Firefox you have, and if you have any software that might be changing window management behaviour in Windows? Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• cyphix333
    cyphix333
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the prompt response. :)

I can't say I have seen it in Chrome as yet, though that may or may not be because it's my part-time browser; never tried it in any other browser.

Firefox version is 45.0.1.

I don't believe I have anything that controls window management behaviour unless there is some in-built software in Windows that is set incorrectly?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cyphix333: As far as I know there's no way to get Windows itself to behave differently. Across 7, 8, and 10, the autosave is always on top for me, as it should be.

Do me a favour and try this quick: in both Chrome and Firefox go to discover.com (or any site with an easily accessible login form), mash on the keyboard in the username and password fields, and hit Enter. You should get the 1Password autosave prompt for this "new" login. Let me know if there's any difference.

• cyphix333
    cyphix333
    Community Member

Ok I tried this and both came up with the new login prompt shortly after hitting enter.

• Hi @cyphix333,

Do you recall which sites you saw the Auto-Save dialog was for?

In super-rare cases, it might be that something interfered with 1Password when it was trying to communicate with 1Password Helper to save a new Login item but that interference caused it to be delayed until you close the browser. In other words, it is possible the auto-save dialog wasn't behind the window at all, it was simply postponed until the browser was closed.

This is usually caused by an anti-malware solution or an extension in Firefox. Can you tell us what anti-malware solution you might have installed or if there's any security extension in Firefox that could explain this?

• cyphix333
    cyphix333
    Community Member

Hmmmmm...... can't remember the sites sorry, but I will take note the next time it does it.

As for anti-malware, PC is reasonably new and I haven't as yet reinstalled any anti-malware software, so none of that is installed. I have Avast Anti-Virus if that matters, but don't have any extensions installed from them or anything else security wise.

• Hi @cyphix333,

Avast has caused some issues in the past but nothing to this extent. Please do let us know if you can reproduce it.

Thanks!

• cyphix333
    cyphix333
    Community Member

Ok, it recently happened on the site: https://www.cofounderslab.com/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cyphix333: Weird. I'm not sure why this is only a problem for you, since I still can't reproduce it on any of my various Windows machines. I quite literally cannot manage to get the autosave window to go behind anything:

Do you encounter "vanishing" windows or dialog boxes in any other cases? Are you sure you don't have any other extensions or software that might be bringing Firefox back to the foreground on top of 1Password? This is truly baffling.

• cyphix333
    cyphix333
    Community Member

Hmmmm.... I can't encounter any recent issues with anything else, but I will keep an eye out and note anything.

Will also keep noting down any more sites it happens on.

FWIW after saving the login details for that site it works fine when getting it to fill the login; was just when I had to create it for the first time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cyphix333: Ah, thanks for following up!

Will also keep noting down any more sites it happens on.

If it's simpler, you can always use our Synapse website issue tracker to report any filling problems.

Be sure to reach out if you encounter any other issues. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.