Billing question (10 $ Bonus & tax)

dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member

The additional 10$ bonus wasn't added as additional time. It was given as a discount on my annual bill. Shouldn't it be added as additional time instead?

The billing also includes 19 % tax. How do you decide in what height that tax should be calculated. As it seems the amount seems right for 19 % German VAT.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• We ended up generating a $10 coupon. It worked as two free months on the monthly subscription and provided even better savings for annual subscriptions.

The EU VAT rates are based on country. The link to the table is here:
    http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/common/buying_online/buying_services/electronically_en.htm

• @dahanbn Yes. The credit card is only place where we ask for the address.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Where do you explain that this VAT comes on top of the advertised prices?

I get very disappointed when the actual price is more than 20% more than the one a company is advertising. In fact this sometimes is a deal breaker for me.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Does this mean only paying customers get the $10 discount?

That makes sense to me, but reading the Windows topic listed below I was under the impression that one would first get 2 free months and could then (after those 2 months) decide whether to start paying for Families (i.e., evaluating the service a bit longer; I'd probably go that route to see whether proper backup/restore would become available).

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/58969/families-need-a-windows-solution

• @XIII,

We've having a discussion about the tax question over here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/292712/#Comment_292712

As for the $10 credit, it does appear that, at least when selecting the annual billing option, the $10 credit is applied to the first billing (instead of preventing it). I'll do some more research here and see what options there are here. Unfortunately this may simply end up working differently than we originally planned, but I'll play around with it and get back to you.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Unfortunately this may simply end up working differently than we originally planned, but I'll play around with it and get back to you.

If so I suggest that you update the billing page as that clearly states that we get $10 credit and won't be charged until this credit runs out:

• $10 in credit (add a credit card to redeem)
    • Twice the amount of secure storage for your documents (that’s 2 GB!)
    • The ability to invite two more family members for free (a total of 7 family members!)
    • Includes our award-winning apps for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.
    • You won’t be charged until your free trial and credits run out.
  • XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Do we still get the 1 month free for completing the quest before we (decide to) start paying?

• Hi, @XIII.

You won’t be charged until your free trial and credits run out.

This is still correct. When you choose the annual plan, you are choosing a subscription that begins at the end of your trial period. If you have $10 credit, then that credit will run out as soon as it's applied to your subscription (when the trial ends), resulting in an immediate charge of $38 + tax.

Do we still get the 1 month free for completing the quest before we (decide to) start paying?

The one month free for completing the quests is also in the form of a credit, a $5 credit, so that would be deducted from the cost of your annual plan. It does not add a month to your trial period.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@rob I completed all my quests for Families weeks ago and received Dave's confirmation email but I just read it again now and it's all about Teams and how the credit will come once Teams graduates from beta. Is this just a verbiage thing that needs to be updated? Under the billing section on the website I see my $10 credit but no mention of the quests credit. Not a big deal but wanted to get included as I signed up Feb 16th ;)

• Hi, @iamecho.

Yes, that was just a wording thing. You will still get the $5 credit. I'll check on the status of that and get back to you.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@rob Thanks Rob.

• :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

I think we're starting to get a little bit off (the 10$ early spotter bonus) topic here. There's an existing discussion on the quest reward:

Credit for quest completion

Long story short, we were planning to send out the coupons once 1Password Teams is out of beta (like the email says). But I agree that the "Teams" connection there is a bit confusing, so I've brought this up with the rest of the (AgileBits) team to see if we can improve not only the wording, but perhaps make it clearer how the reward works. If you're paying monthly, not receiving the reward immediately isn't a problem. But it sounds like maybe most people are using the annual option. Worst case scenario, we can always refund if needed, so no worries. But I think we'll be able to come up with another solution before then. ;)

Regarding your emails, I'm not seeing anything recent in our system, and since we never received your emails that explains why you wouldn't have received an auto response. Are they perhaps stuck in your Sent folder or being blocked by the outgoing server for some reason?

• rob
    rob
    edited April 2016

@iamecho, I just wanted to ditto @brenty there since I said I'd get back to you. We're still working on the execution of the credit, but we hope to get it done soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Long story short, I have never joined Teams. I joined Families and I completed the Family quest. And Family was never in Beta.

@dahanbn: 1Password Families is built on 1Password Teams. As I mentioned previously, the quest system was setup before 1Password Families existed. Both use the same technology, so the email referenced 1Password Teams. This is something we'll be addressing in a future update.

Doesn't seem true. Got today a personal response to my first message from March 28th. The reply contained an excuse for the long delay but as it seems the mails that you haven't found still were received.

@dahanbn: Well, that's dismaying. I don't have any reason to lie. You must have sent it from another email address. We don't have anything within the last month from this one. :(

The answer regarding the quest perk was unspecific. I would like to get it somehow before the annual payment is due.

Indeed. We don't have a time frame to give you right now, but as I mentioned earlier if there's any issue with getting the discounts applied ahead of time we'll refund the difference.

Furthermore my emails - although received - haven't triggered any automatic response with an ID. Shouldn't it?

As far as I know, they should. It may depend on the address you sent it to though, so I'll check with the team to see if there's a reason support@1password.com wouldn't generate one.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

@brenty Sorry, I seem to have missed that you replied to me earlier in this thread:

This is still correct. When you choose the annual plan, you are choosing a subscription that begins at the end of your trial period. If you have $10 credit, then that credit will run out as soon as it's applied to your subscription (when the trial ends), resulting in an immediate charge of $38 + tax.

What if I decide to go for monthly instead?

Will I then be charged for the first time after 3 months? (Because that's when the 3 credits run out?)

Or does AgileBits first charge one month and only then apply the credits?

And if I choose monthly can I later switch to annual? (When? At the end of each month?)

I'm not trying to be cheap, but I'm not yet convinced of the added value compared to my current setup (using Dropbox), so being able to evaluate the service a bit longer (and seeing it grow) might help me.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@brenty @rob The $5 quest reward has been added to my account! Nice job getting that done ahead of the deadline. Thanks - great work by your team.

• Great to hear. Thank you for the screenshot, @iamecho!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iamecho: Indeed, I was away yesterday, and was excited to see the quest rewards had gone out too! :chuffed:

What if I decide to go for monthly instead?
    Will I then be charged for the first time after 3 months? (Because that's when the 3 credits run out?)

@XIII: Precisely! The credits/discounts will be applied first, and then the remainder will be charged when necessary.

Or does AgileBits first charge one month and only then apply the credits?

It only really becomes confusing in areas where there's a tax involved, since this can vary. Otherwise the credit gets taken right off the top cleanly, and you only get charged if there's a remaining balance (for example with an annual plan).

And if I choose monthly can I later switch to annual? (When? At the end of each month?)

Yep! You can switch any time but clicking Edit Subscription. It will take effect on the next billing cycle:

The screenshot probably isn't necessary, but I'm really proud of how easy the folks working on the billing setup have made it to remove a credit card, cancel a subscription, make changes, or just see at a glance what you're paying for, when, and how much it will cost. Those all sound like small things, but I can't tell you how many times I've had to dig through a website to try to figure that stuff out, only to find that I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do anything with my account. So for me it's really a breath of fresh air! :love:

I'm not trying to be cheap, but I'm not yet convinced of the added value compared to my current setup (using Dropbox), so being able to evaluate the service a bit longer (and seeing it grow) might help me.

Fair enough! And that's a big part of the reason we wanted to have a free period, and also ways for people to get additional discounts. It's one thing if 1Password Families has been around for years. At that point, it's well-established and you can really get a sense for it in the normal 30 day trial period. But given that it's brand new and quickly evolving, it's nice to have some extra time to get acquainted before you start paying. ;)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

The $5 quest reward has been added to my account!

I have not received it yet.

After I received the email that I completed the quest I changed some things and as a result the completed quest is no longer completed.

Will this be a problem, or will I get the $5 anyway? (When?)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

After I received the email that I completed the quest I changed some things and as a result the completed quest is no longer completed.

@XIII: That sounds like a bug to me. It shouldn't be possible to "un-complete" a completed quest, I don't think. Please shoot us an email at support@1password.com with a link to this from the email address you used to signup and we'll get this sorted out for you. And if you happen to know what steps you took that un-completed the quest be sure to include that information so we can look into the cause. Thanks in advance! :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@brenty This actually happened to me too (the un-completing part - I gratefully have the $5 quest loaded in my account.) This occurred when I deleted an owner from Families, thereby leaving myself as sole owner, it un-completed that quest and reminded me to complete my quests every time I logged in. When I added the owner back the quests were completed and I got the email again. Hope that helps.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Since I'm not convinced yet that I should switch my family members from our current Dropbox solution to the Families plan I temporarily added only one of them (as another owner) and created one vault, but deleted both immediately after completing the quest...

As a result, these steps are now open again:

• Save your Emergency Kit
    • Invite your family
    • Create a vault
    • Add another owner

My preferred implementation would be to remove the entire column/panel once the quest has been completed once.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iamecho: Thanks for letting me know! I understand why that's happening, but it's certainly a bit confusing. I believe this is working as designed, but there's obviously room for improvement. :blush:

My preferred implementation would be to remove the entire column/panel once the quest has been completed once.

@XIII: That was my thought as well. We'll see what we can do to make this more intuitive. :)

My one real concern is that we don't want anyone to end up in a situation where they don't actually have a recovery plan but don't realize it until it's too late. That's part of the motivation behind the quests, but I think recovery may require special consideration. It's something we'll have to discuss and consider carefully. Thanks for the feedback!

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member

I conquered the quest (several times due to administrator change....) but never received an eMail with the bonus 5.--$. Should I have received that?

Thomas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gnarreb: The quest reward doesn't come in an email. When you completed the quest, did you click the button and send the email? You'd have gotten an autoresponse from that, and then this past week we credited people's accounts with the 5$. :sunglasses:

Check the Billing section in the 1Password Families web interface and verify you've received it, and be sure you set you billing up while you're there to lock in the 10$ credit and other early adopter perks. Unfortunately we can only give you a reward for the first time you completed the quest though. ;)

But if you're still missing the quest reward, shoot us an email from the address you used to signup at support@1password.com and we'll get it sorted out for you. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.