Filling shipping and billing address on same page doesn't work [Known issue]

Options
FogCityNative
FogCityNative
Community Member
edited April 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

URL is https://store.ergonis.com/cart but you may have to go to the previous page and select an item, then go to checkout to use the site for testing. Just don't complete the order obviously.

I am having problems with billing address, especially when both shipping and billing are on a single web page. Look at the attached screen shot. I have two identities. Home Address and Billing Address and they are different.

1Password simply cannot deal with forms like the one in the screen shot. I looked at the underlying code and the fields have unique and distinct names.

Putting the cursor is the First Name field of the upermost ship to address and using 1Password to complete the form, fills out the ship to box correctly. Although of late there is a two to three second lag in the fill-in happening.

Moving the cursor down to the Bill To section, putting the cursor into the First Name of the Bill To section and trying to fill with the Bill To identity just replaces the information in the Ship To fields.

It is EITHER OR but not both. I have resorted to Typinator to create shortcuts to auto complete so I can start typing the filed data and Typinator will auto complete. But that still leaves me doing it one field at a time.

I know this is difficult. Every web page designer does it differently, using different field descriptions and actual field names in the code.

Is there any way you guys can tackle this issue and address it so form fill works properly for people with billing addresses different from their shipping address? I realize I am not the first to ask about this problem or seek a solution from AgileBits.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:billing address

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @FogCityNative. You're right that as of now, 1Password doesn't handle multiple identity filling on the same page. This is definitely something we want to improve in the future, but we're not 100% sure how we will tackle it. In 1Password Families and 1Password for Teams, we have a concept of linked items. What might be nice in the future is to allow you to link an identity to a credit card as the billing address and another as the shipping address. Then, we could fill all three (two identities and payment) as part of the credit card filling process.

This is just an idea of course, but I want to show that this is a problem we're thinking about and that it's not without hope. It will likely be quite some time before we get around to tackling the problem, though, as it will require coordination among several different teams all at once to make sure whatever solution we come up with is rolled out in a coordinated fashion that doesn't cause confusion for our users across platforms, and when we do tackle it, it may end up with a totally different solution than the idea I posted about above.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're always here to help.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    Options

What if the user could highlight the box by drawing a square around it, so the software would only look inside the box and fill those fields. I realize the user would have to do it twice, but in this case i am thinking inside the box.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how well that would work given the variety of ways elements can be positioned on screen. I would much rather 1Password were simply smarter about the whole thing so that users don't need to draw boxes. :)

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Suggestion on this:

Why not add fields for billing address and shipping address to the credit card item type? Seems more logical than having separate identity items.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's certainly another option, @mdbrown. We're not sure what form this will take in the future, but it's helpful to have feedback from folks about it. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.