Document category not available on Android?

guillaumeserton
guillaumeserton
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Android

Hello,

I have a Family account i have 5 elements in the document category.
This category "document" doesn't appears on my Android devices and necessarily i needed them this morning because i store my Emergency Kit in it.

Can you let me know if this is a bug with the beta version, if this is not yet impleted or how can i get this category available on my android.

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.2.1b3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 6.0.1r22
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@Spinacle as far as I know its not jet implemented.

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

I hope that is coming very very soon.
    Family products launch is the worst I seen since a long time ago.
    There's no 1p product at the same level of features. I can't believe that.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

@Spinacle I hope that its coming soon too :) Don't give up on families yet :)

• 1Password 6 for Android doesn't yet support documents for Teams/Families accounts, but this is something that we plan on adding in the future. I'll pass this feedback along to the team. :)

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

Any news on this feature?
    It's a really missing one...

• @guillaumeserton I don’t have any updates from what Peri had already mentioned, but I do want to emphasize that this feature is in our sights for Android. Hopefully we will have something more to share in the near future. Thanks for sharing your continued interest :)

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

Thanks @saad
    Hope to see this into a very near future release :+1:

• Thanks for the feedback! We hope so too!

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hi there,
    I just wanted to ask if there is any update news on the document support for android. Because thats the number 1 missing feature in 1Password for Android for me :)

• I don't have any news regarding support for documents at the moment. This is something we indeed hope to support and I'll bump the devs about it. :)

• tom_kul
    tom_kul
    Community Member

Don't see the documents category yet on my android phone. I presume it is still on the list.

• Hey @tom_kul. You are indeed correct that we don't yet support documents on Android. This is something we would love to add in the future, though, and I'll be sure to add your vote! ref:

• fargozhu
    fargozhu
    Community Member

I still don't see this feature supported. When are you guys planing to release it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fargozhu: It's something we're working on, but I'm sorry that documents aren't ready on Android yet. Thanks for your patience. I'll let the team know you're looking forward to this feature!

ref: OPA-879

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

@brenty @peri @saad
    One year later, and still not there.
    I just don't understand why a feature like that is not yet implemented.
    You have implemented tags for exemple in the meantime and just don't understand. Yes I love to see now tags into my Android app, but we are talking about "content" here not other thing.

I just want to remind you guys that we are not talking about user interface but content here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

One year later, and still not there. I just don't understand why a feature like that is not yet implemented.

@guillaumeserton: One year ago, 1Password for Android version 6 was still a brand new app with early support for the just-introduced 1Password.com memberships. If Documents was the only thing we had to work on, I'm sure we would have had it by now, but there have been a dozen releases since then with a number of other features and improvements. This is something we're working on, but not to the exclusion of everything else.

You have implemented tags for exemple in the meantime and just don't understand. Yes I love to see now tags into my Android app, but we are talking about "content" here not other thing. I just want to remind you guys that we are not talking about user interface but content here.

Believe me, we know. Surprisingly, tags are the more frequently requested feature. And perhaps unsurprisingly, there's perhaps less development and testing involved with that, as it amounts to metadata and UI. Dealing with actual files — user data — is something that requires more care. So while it's something we're working to bring to 1Password for Android, it's not something we're going to rush. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you right now, but it's something we're looking forward to ourselves.

• gboudreau
    gboudreau
    Community Member

+1 on requiring documents & attachments show up in the Android app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

1Password for Android already supports attachments for many local vault setups, and we're working on adding support for Documents in 1Password.com accounts as well. Cheers! :)

• Georgios_Melekos
    Georgios_Melekos
    Community Member

Hello 1Password/AgileBits team,

long time 1Password user on Windows, Mac and Android and new to 1Password.com :) Joining the discussion for +1 about the documents showing up in the Android app! Cheers from Greece ;)

P.S., By the way, the new Windows 6.6 version looks really great, congrats! And it was the main reason for getting a 1Password subscription :) Custom images to items as well as document linking is what yet to come! Keep up the good work :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hello 1Password/AgileBits team, long time 1Password user on Windows, Mac and Android and new to 1Password.com :) Joining the discussion for +1 about the documents showing up in the Android app! Cheers from Greece ;)

@Georgios_Melekos: Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password.com, and I'm sorry that we don't have anything to announce regarding Documents yet...but the team is working hard behind the scenes to bring this and other features to you. :)

P.S., By the way, the new Windows 6.6 version looks really great, congrats! And it was the main reason for getting a 1Password subscription :) Custom images to items as well as document linking is what yet to come! Keep up the good work :)

Thanks for letting us know you're enjoying the latest version on Windows! And you're right, we've got a lot in the works for future releases as well. Cheers! ;)

• neilobrien
    neilobrien
    Community Member

Hi,
    I've been a happy user for a while now and this makes me sad. I took the rather progressive (for me) step to move my local vault to a cloud account, deleted my primary vault and synced all my devices. And only after I had done all of this, did I realise that I could not see my documents from my phone (Android)

Once I deleted my local vault, my mac app no longer offers the option to create a local vault so it seems you've ushered users one way with out the ability to revert. So what are my options now for seeing my documents on my phone?

I wished I had known about this rather critical limitation before taking your advise.

It seems you've been saying "we're working on it" for quite a while now. While I'm sure you're making progress behind the scenes, that's no use to someone who was very reliant on this seemingly basic feature.

I look forward to a response that's different to "we're working on it", one that offers some hope in the immediate future.

Thanks in advance,
    Neil

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@neilobrien: You're totally right. That sucks. We're getting closer to having improvements in this area on Android, but I don't have a real solution for you right now....and that isn't much consolation.

Now, technically, you can enabled local vaults in 1Password for Mac Preferences > Advanced, and you'll almost certainly have a backup of your original vault as well...but please shoot me an email at [email protected] and post the Support ID you receive here so I can see if there's something else I can do to help you avoid having to restore old data or do a reverse migration.

• neilobrien
    neilobrien
    Community Member

Thanks for the response @brenty, it's great to have direct access to such knowledge and expertise.

I didn't realise I could re-enable the vaults, I assumed (and had read somewhere) that once all vaults are deleted, the ability to create local vaults was removed from the app. So being able to do this, actually works around my immediate issue.

I have re-created my local vault and I'm just sync'ing my secure notes, with everything else in my cloud account. So I'm back to (almost) happy again :-)

I'm sure there are very good technical reasons, but the logic doesn't add up for me:
    1. Secure Notes/Document content works with local vault on Android, suggesting the content on android is not the problem
    2. Secure Notes/Document content works with iphone/ipad client over cloud account, suggesting cloud sync is not the problem
    3. The same android client is used, regardless of whether the cloud account or local vault is used, suggesting the android client is not the problem.

The only difference I can see is a de-coupling between secure notes and secure docs, if I'm not wrong, the "Documents" category is new?

I think the frustration is mainly down to this being seemingly an easy fix (although I'm sure if it was that simple, you would have done it). But given points 1 +2 + 3, there is no obvious reason why this feature can't exist on android?

Maybe a little technical detail as to the reasons why might help?

Thanks again for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@neilobrien: You're welcome. But again, I'm sorry that a decision we made has caused you this trouble.

It was a decision we do not regret, but it was not made lightly. Just one data point is that a lot of folks have local vaults from using 1Password before a 1Password.com account, but many of them want to use the new service now that's it's available, and for good reasons, one of them being that 1Password.com offers automatic offsite backup. You can imagine how awful it is to hear from a devoted 1Password user that's lost their phone and has their important data literally nowhere else. So, 1Password.com, problem solved right? But if we leave the original local vault, people may still store important data there and lose it anyway since it's not part of their account. So we're trying to design things so people don't fall into pitfalls like that.

That's just a small part of the stuff we need to consider when we make any changes to 1Password, even ones that are for the better long term. But as you found, it can also cause different types of confusion and problems. I apologize you received the brunt of that in this case.

You're probably wondering what this has to do with Documents, but you're on the right track there. Documents are a new item type dedicated to file storage, so while they share a similar use to attachments you and I are used to as local vault users, they're completely different.

1Password.com accounts come with at least 1GB of storage, and one of the long-time requests we've had is the ability to securely store rather large files in 1Password. This wasn't feasible with local vaults and 3rd party sync, because everything in the vault was always sync'd. So if I had a 300MB vault and a 200MB data plan for travel, setting up 1Password on my phone away from Wi-Fi was out of the question, even just to access an item probably only a few kilobytes in size — the whole thing would be downloaded. Not cool. So we've had a 5MB file attachment limit in place in the apps for years to help mitigate this, but at the same time a lot of folks — ourselves included — would very much like to be able to save larger files in 1Password without completely screwing our future selves. So Documents were born, and can be downloaded on demand. And since another popular request was to be able to link multiple items together, we've taken that into account so we can do that too.

I'm not sure I'm doing a great job of explaining this, but it's my attempt to illustrate in a small way that Documents is a brand new thing which requires completely different stuff both under the hood and also in the UI...and going back a bit, the last thing we want to do is rush it out the door since it involves people's most important data. It has to be secure and reliable. I'm sorry that it's been this long and we still don't have anything to show for it, but rest assured we want this as much as you do, and we want to make sure that it gets the appropriate attention both in development and testing, even before we release a public beta.

Anyway, I hope that wasn't too long, and gives you a better sense of things. Thanks again for your patience and support. We'll make sure it's worth the wait. :blush:

P.S: I'd still encourage you to get in touch via email so we can work on your particular setup. I bet we can come up with a game plan for the near term, until Documents become available on Android.

• neilobrien
    neilobrien
    Community Member

@brenty, I appreciate the detailed reply ;-)

I don't disagree with moving towards a cloud account, in fact some of the reasons you outlined above are the very reasons I decided to migrate.

So Documents were born

Yes, and Documents is a great add-on, and I agree with all the points you make about it.

But what still I don't understand is why Documents was introduced at the expense of attachments to secure notes? Why remove the ability to access an attachment in a secure note and only on android and nowhere else? On my iPad, I can access both attachments to secure notes AND the Documents category from my cloud account.

Perhaps we've crossed wires and conflated the new Documents category and the Secure Notes attachments but the attachments are specifically what I'm talking about, not the availability of the Documents category on Android.

P.S: I'd still encourage you to get in touch via email so we can work on your particular setup. I bet we can come up with a game plan for the near term, until Documents become available on Android.

I appreciate that but I think I've managed to work around the problem by having my Secure Notes (with attachments) in a local vault and sync'ing with dropbox. I've set up the local vault to sync on my Android. So I just need to ensure that any "document" I need in the vault is added to my local vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

But what still I don't understand is why Documents was introduced at the expense of attachments to secure notes? Why remove the ability to access an attachment in a secure note and only on android and nowhere else? On my iPad, I can access both attachments to secure notes AND the Documents category from my cloud account.

@neilobrien: 1Password.com simply doesn't support attachments at all, regardless of the platform. That goes back to that data issue I rambled about above. Attachments are part of the item itself, so they have to be downloaded along with it, even if you only want to grab a password.

Now, that's not to excuse the fact that 1) we're missing Documents on Android right now and 2) honestly we have a lot of work to do on all platforms to make them more usable (linking with other items, better UI, etc.)

Perhaps we've crossed wires and conflated the new Documents category and the Secure Notes attachments but the attachments are specifically what I'm talking about, not the availability of the Documents category on Android.

Yeah, that's totally our fault. It's confusing. Documents are a separate item type that are a peer to Secure Notes, Logins, etc.; whereas attachments were subsidiary to all item types and depended on them for their existence. Put another way, before, if you wanted to store a PDF in your vault (common use case), you had to create some item to attach it to. Now you can just add a file directly. Linking it to another item is optional.

I appreciate that but I think I've managed to work around the problem by having my Secure Notes (with attachments) in a local vault and sync'ing with dropbox. I've set up the local vault to sync on my Android. So I just need to ensure that any "document" I need in the vault is added to my local vault.

That was one of the options I was going to suggest. If that works for you for the time being, that's good. Still, I'm really sorry that this workaround is necessary, and we're going to change that. Thanks for your understanding.

• neilobrien
    neilobrien
    Community Member

@brenty thanks, I've worked around my particular issue so I can still do what I need to do. I'll continue to do what works for me until there's better option.

Thanks again for your attention and support, it's refreshing to have someone so dedicated to keeping customers informed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for the kind words. We're here if you have any other questions, comments, or feedback! :)

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member

Hoping we will get the option to edit and add documents as well as just viewing them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fatso83: Just to clarify, none of the 1Password apps allow editing Documents (or attachments). These are stored encrypted in your vault, and in order to edit them they must be decrypted and stored outside of it. Apps cannot edit decrypted data (images, text, etc.) At that point, after editing them, you can add the modified file to 1Password again to encrypt and store it. We'll be adding the ability to upload Documents in 1Password for Android in the future, but given the constraints it's unlikely that we'll have in-place editing of files within 1Password. Looking forward to adding Documents in 1Password for Android myself though. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.