iOS 1P is grey and "waiting"

Options
Kwajmeck
Kwajmeck
Community Member

I noticed a couple of days ago that iOS 1P was gray on my iPhone 6+. I touched it today, and it remained grey and now displays "Waiting.." below. I purchased 1P for my iPad in 2012 from the Apple App Store. Should I delete this version and download a new version from the App Store?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:iOS 1P is grey and "waiting"

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kwajmeck: If you have all of your data stored on other devices, then it is safe to delete 1Password for iOS and reinstall it. Then you can sync your data back over.

However, I will say that this is the third report I've heard of App Store issues like this tonight, so it may be a good idea to contact Apple. But at the very least, power down your iPhone completely and restart it. When I've had App Store issues in the past that has helped.

Please let me know what you find. Thanks in advance!

• Kwajmeck
    Kwajmeck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenty. It didn't work. I performed 2 hard restarts and tried to delete the app each time - no luck. I also did several soft restarts/deletions - no luck. I also tried to reload from the app store (I didn't expect anything), and I wasn't disappointed.

• Ben
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that, @Kwajmeck.

Unfortunately the installation process is controlled by the App Store, not the app, and so there is really very little we can do about a hung installation.

One thing that may help is:

1. Tap on the 1Password icon to pause the download (from the home screen, not from in the App Store).
    2. Reboot the iOS device (instructions)
    3. Go to the App Store and find the app and start the download again. Sometimes you have to search for the app by name since it’s not always in the Updates tab anymore at this point.

Another possible solution is to try a different internet connection (e.x. cellular vs Wi-Fi, or different Wi-Fi network).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Kwajmeck
    Kwajmeck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty and Ben. Unfortunately, nothing worked. I can't stop the download (grey) because there hasn't been one in more than a month. I can get an X, select it, a box asks if I want to delete it, I select Delete, and the box goes away - nothing has happened. I chatted with an Apple tech for 25 mins, but they had no solution other than what has been mentioned above, and to suggest that I contact the developer. As Ben suggested, I left my wi-fi home, and when I was well out of range (i.e., cell phone connection only), I tried all of the above - nothing.
    Is there a brute force method of removing an app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kwajmeck: Since app installs are handled entirely on the system level, the only other way (unless Apple has another secret method) is under Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage. You'll have to scroll through the list to find the app (which can be kind of a drag), tap it, and then tap the Delete App button. I hope that does the trick for you, because I'm out of ideas! :(

Anecdotally, the past few days I've had a number of apps stall when installing from the App Store. Cancelling or deleting them doesn't do anything, and it actually seems to hang up the install process for everything. Only restarting my iPhone has helped, but it's happened nearly every day for the past week. I wonder if this is a problem with iOS 9.3 specifically, since I hadn't encountered similar issues like this for months. :unamused:

• Kwajmeck
    Kwajmeck
    Community Member
    Options

YEA, YEA - that did it!! The app went away and I was able to reload it for the App Store. I tried it and it works!!! Thanks Brenty or brenty or ??

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of Brenty you are most welcome! Glad to hear that worked out. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kwajmeck: Wow! That's great!!! Thanks for much for the update! I'll admit I didn't have much hope, but I'll definitely remember to suggest that right off the bat next time this issue comes up. So glad you were able to put this behind you. Enjoy your weekend! :chuffed:

• rnewlove
    rnewlove
    Community Member
    Options

It appears that I am encountering a similar or the same issue on my iphone 6. Tried to update the 1password app and it greyed out with the "waiting" identified. This was several weeks ago. I do not have this app synced to any other dvices so am very apprehensive to delete it since I have dozens of passwords saved within.

Can you think of any way to restart the download or refresh the app without deleting it. If I tap the app nothing happens unless I hold on it for the delete option.

I am in a bit of a jam without the app as it was my memory for many of the passwords in the first place.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rnewlove

Have you tried rebooting your device? Tried switching from Wi-Fi to cellular data (or vice versa)?

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@rnewlove: Indeed, when this has happened to me with iOS apps, rebooting usually did the trick. And when it didn't, iOS/App Store seemed to work out the issue in time. Especially since it's your data we're talking about here, I'd just be patient. And in the future be sure to backup your data. Better safe than sorry!

• rnewlove
    rnewlove
    Community Member
    Options

I have rebooted several times both within wifi and without. I have tried all the things you have previously mentioned in your post without deleting the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rnewlove: I'm sorry that you're still having trouble. The only other alternative would be to contact Apple directly and see if they know a trick to get the App Store to finish processing it (or whatever it's doing). But honestly if it were me I'd just wait it out, as Apple is likely to suggest deleting and reinstalling if nothing else helps. But they may have other suggestions as well.

• charlieclark
    charlieclark
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty for your suggestion. After much frustration of trying to delete the 'waiting' oI did as you suggested in General/storage/iCloud and delayed the app that way and then resinslld

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @charlieclark. Just to be sure we're on the same page: does that mean you are all set now? :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.