Trouble accessing 1Password data with third-party browser extension

Options
sjk
sjk
1Password Alumni
edited April 2016 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: Why is 1PasswordAnywhere not loading? [1PasswordAnywhere is dead].

Comments

• PrincessPohan
    PrincessPohan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,

I've done extensive research to try and resolve my issue using 1passwordanywhere through the browser extension. I have 1PA installed and working properly in Dropbox. When I try to log in through the browser extension, however, the vault lock spins indefinitely without opening. Any thoughts on what I may be doing incorrectly?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @PrincessPohan,

Please see this post:

Why is 1PasswordAnywhere not loading? [1PasswordAnywhere is dead]

Unfortunately it is possible that this will not even work through Dropbox at this point. For now, we're recommending the use of 1Password Families or 1Password for Teams if you need web access to your data.

Thanks!

Ben

• PrincessPohan
    PrincessPohan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Please help me understand, since I'm totally new to 1P, I paid $40 for a license on my mac, an additional $10 each for my husband and my cell phones, and to be able to access the vault through the cloud will require a monthly subscription? This is starting to feel like highway robbery. The reason I was hoping to set up 1PA was so I could access passwords through the browser, without having to log into dropbox. Is that even possible yet for 1P for families?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@PrincessPohan you always had to log into dropbox for 1passwordanywhere when it was available. That was the only way you can access it from the web.

My understanding you can access your passwords anywhere with 1P for Families.

• PrincessPohan
    PrincessPohan
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I was able to access login's through the browser extension, at one point, without having to log onto dropbox. Unfortunately, that's not the case anymore.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@PrincessPohan so you were able to log onto any computer and do this?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @PrincessPohan ,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password. However, if you're accessing your data through a browser extension, it sounds like you might be having a different problem than the one being discussed in this thread. Edit: Your posts and the replies have now been moved to a new thread in the Mac category.

Let's see if we can sort this out. :)

When I try to log in through the browser extension, however, the vault lock spins indefinitely without opening.

Could you let me know I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What is the version number of 1Password that you have installed? (Please include all relevant computers and devices)
    • What is the version number of your operating system (for all computers and devices)?
    • Which browser are you using and what is its version number?
    • What is the version number of your browser extension?
    • Do you see an error message when the browser extension fails to open? If so, please tell us what that message says.

Please help me understand, since I'm totally new to 1P, I paid $40 for a license on my mac, an additional $10 each for my husband and my cell phones, and to be able to access the vault through the cloud will require a monthly subscription?

My apologies for the confusion here! We recently introduced 1Password Families and 1Password for Teams as an alternative way to keep your data on all your devices. If you've purchased the app itself instead of signing up for a 1Password account, you'll choose between Dropbox and iCloud to sync your data between all of your devices.

The reason I was hoping to set up 1PA was so I could access passwords through the browser, without having to log into dropbox.

I just want to confirm here: when you have 1Password installed on a computer along with the browser extensions, the browser extensions will allow you to open websites and fill your username and passwords without having to type them in. That is always available, whether you use the 1Password apps and sync via Dropbox or iCloud, or a Teams or Families account.

The earlier discussion in the thread referred to an older service that allowed you to see your 1Password database through the Dropbox website. This service would be useful if you were using a computer that was not your own that did not have 1Password installed. If this is what you are hoping to have, then at this time, a 1Password for Teams or 1Password Families account is required.

I hope this helps to clear things up!

As I mentioned earlier, it sounds like you're running into trouble with the browser extension itself. If you answer my questions above, we should be able to figure out where things are getting tangled up and get you back up and running. :)

ref: 966948

• PrincessPohan
    PrincessPohan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Before I go into detail, I just want to make sure you're aware that it's the 1passwordanywhere browser extension that's not opening for me

Let me know,

XM

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @PrincessPohan,

Like Megan mentioned, the trouble you're having could be with the 1Password browser extension. There has never been a 1PasswordAnywhere browser extension from us so it's impossible for that to be opened. :)

If you have the 1Password browser extension properly installed and updated and are still stuck, your answers to Megan's questions will be helpful for helping you get 1Password working properly. Thanks in advance!

• PrincessPohan
    PrincessPohan
    Community Member
    Options

Well for starters, here's a link to the 1passwordanywhere Chrome browser extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/1passwordanywhere?hl=en-US

I have Password 6 on my Mac OS 10 (El Capitain) and use Mac OS 10 (Yosemite) at work, which doesn't allow me to download apps on and reason why I'd like to use the 1passwordanywhere browser extension. I sync with an Apple iPhone 6 iOS 9.3.1 and I use Chrome version 49.0.2623.110.

I was able add the 1PA browser extension and successfully connect it with dropbox. When I try to log into the browser extension, that's when the lock spins indefinitely and I'm stuck. No error messages.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

I was able add the 1PA browser extension and successfully connect it with dropbox. When I try to log into the browser extension, that's when the lock spins indefinitely and I'm stuck. No error messages.

@PrincessPohan: Sorry for the confusion! I don't know who "Gyran", the maker of that "1PasswordAnywhere" Chrome extension is, but they're not affiliated with AgileBits. You'd need to contact them if you're having trouble with the extension they created.

To be clear, AgileBits never recommends entering your Master Password into anyone else's software, website, etc. because there's no way of knowing what's being done with it. I don't mean to suggest that they're doing anything malicious. I'm just saying that we simply don't know, and so we can't vouch for that or support it. Ultimately the only thing we can help with is our own software since, after all, we can only fix our own software if it's broken, not someone else's. You can always download 1Password from the AgileBits website to make sure that what you're getting is official and supported.

Others have mentioned specific solutions for your specific use case. 1Password Families (or Teams) would be the best option, since we can vouch for its security and it's hosted for you to access in nearly any modern browser without needing to install anything. The 1Password extensions need the 1Password app to function.

You could possibly use 1PasswordAnywhere, but there's no guarantee that it will continue to work on Dropbox's servers, so hosting it yourself would be a better option if you choose to go that route. Just keep in mind that it isn't going to be updated going forward. It was created last decade and can't take advantage of the technical and security advancements available today.

I hope this helps clarify things. Please let me know if you have any questions! :)

• PrincessPohan
    PrincessPohan
    Community Member
    Options

Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! I'm glad he was able to help clear that up.

If you ever have more questions about 1Password, please don't hesitate to ask us! We're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.