vault location

evantill
evantill
Community Member

I would like to find the location of my vault file.

the FAQ page https://support.1password.com/move-vault/mac.html seems outdated.

1Password Version: 6.1 (610006)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:faq, kb:move-vault

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @evantill,

That document appears to be up to date. Save for the fact that you'd likely get a .opvault file if you followed those directions at this time.

May I ask what you are trying to accomplish? If you wish to move your data to another computer that would be a way to do so.

• evantill
    evantill
    Community Member

In that document :

Locate your vault

• Open 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • In the list of vaults on the left, select the name of the vault you want to move.
    • On the right, 1Password will display the path to your vault—that is, the folder on your drive where .agilekeychain is being synced. Make a note of this location.

But on the right 1Password is not displaying the path see my screenshot

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @evantill,

I'm sorry for the confusion! That knowledgebase article is up to date, but it doesn't make it very clear that it's referring to the Dropbox Sync and Folder Sync options. It's also referring to the files that are used to sync your vault to other devices, and not the original copy of your vault (which is stored elsewhere on your Mac and must remain in that location).

With Dropbox and Folder sync, you can choose & change the exact location of the sync file because the Finder and Dropbox each allow you to browse through your folders & files and rearrange them. But I see that you're using iCloud sync in 1Password, and that works a bit differently than Dropbox or Folder sync. The iCloud sync option in 1Password uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which doesn't have a way for you to browse the folders & files stored in that part of your iCloud account.

Does that help? I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do with your 1Password data, so if you need more help, please let us know what you'd like to accomplish. Thanks! :)

• evantill
    evantill
    Community Member

Thanks. I'm trying to clean my mac and before erasing a 1Password keychain I would be sure where my actual keychain is stored

• Hi @evantill ,

When you set up a new 1Password and set up iCloud sync with the same AppleID, it will find that keychain and automatically download the items again. iCloud stores the items in their database. They are encrypted and safe there, but the architecture does not support having a copy in a file that you can download or make a copy of.

However, if you do want to have your own copy, I suggest going into the 1Password preferences, click on Backups, and click Backup Now. Then click "Show Files" and make a copy of the latest backup file there. You can then restore from that file on a new install if you like after you clean your Mac.

Either methods will work, but if you like to have your own copy of the data, the backup file is the way to go.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.