Auto submit not working on many websites

Options

Recently, auto submit has stopped working for usernames on many websites I visit. Not all sites, but several like Google, banking websites, and more. However, passwords continue to auto submit on all sites without any issues. I have auto submit enabled in 1Password preferences. This is on both Safari and Firefox on a MacBook Pro. I believe this started with version 6.1 and continues to persist. I've tried removing and reinstalling the browser extensions to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mvcarpenter. This is actually a conscious decision. We discovered some situations where 1Password was submitting forms incorrectly, so now we require that focus be in a password field before we trigger autosubmit. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but the cursor should find its way to the username field on these pages for you to visually confirm and then press the return key to get to the next step of the login process.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• mvcarpenter
    mvcarpenter
    Community Member
    Options

Makes sense! I'm not sure if that information was included in the release notes or indicated anywhere else, but if you're getting a lot of questions similar to mine maybe it would be helpful to do so. Thank you for your reply!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mvcarpenter,

Sorry for any confusion we caused as a result :smile:

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member
    Options

Can you confirm that this is a "conscious decision" for both United Airlines and Virgin America? Neither auto-submit; they fill in fine, but I need to tap "login" just the same.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @testastretta,

In both instances they are what we would call accidental casualties and mean we need to rethink what we do. We're aware that the changes have caused issues with certain sites and we do aim to rectify this. If a site asks you for a username and password on the same page and we fill both then we want to honour the auto-submit settings as defined by the user. The only exception to this at the moment is for multi-page logins where we're only filling the username on the first page.

In both cases I can see why it isn't submitting, we just need to figure out why we're coming to this conclusion when we inspect the site.

• gihrig
    gihrig
    Community Member
    Options

Can you please comment on how this issue is evolving?

I just updated to 1Password 6.3, I don't recall any mention of changes to auto submit in the change log.
    Version 6.3 (630032)
    AgileBits Store

Auto-Submit no longer works for my credit union https://umecreditunion.onlineaccounts.org/ even if I go to the login page and place the cursor in the password field. (this is not a useful feature for me even if it did work, a click is a click, and having to call up the site before opening 1Password Mini is an extra step...).

Further the auto-submit check box appears to have been removed from individual login entries and from the global preferences.

Google accounts were mentioned above. I have no problem logging in to Google, that login auto submits just as it used to.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just updated to 1Password 6.3, I don't recall any mention of changes to auto submit in the change log.

@gihrig: Changes to filling are made not only in the main 1Password app, but the Brain that is used across multiple apps and also the extensions which are used across multiple browsers. (More on this later.) And it also isn't feasible to describe in detail each change that is made in a given version of 1Password. We try to be concise, but there are still plenty of complaints that they're too long! :lol:

Auto-Submit no longer works for my credit union https://umecreditunion.onlineaccounts.org/ even if I go to the login page and place the cursor in the password field. (this is not a useful feature for me even if it did work, a click is a click, and having to call up the site before opening 1Password Mini is an extra step...).

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! I know it's an additional click. We're working to find a solution for cases like this that doesn't break other sites.

However, I think you may be able to save yourself some effort by having 1Password open and fill the login form (rather than manually navigating to it. And if you use the keyboard for the first part (⌘ ⌥ \, type "ume" or something similar to search for the login, and then press Return), 1Password will load the website, fill your login credentials, and then you're down to a single click to submit the form. :)

Further the auto-submit check box appears to have been removed from individual login entries and from the global preferences.

Settings in an individual login like this can be changed by editing it:

Google accounts were mentioned above. I have no problem logging in to Google, that login auto submits just as it used to.

I'm sorry for the confusion! We made a change to help Google login issues since it's such a commonly used account (and many people have multiple Google accounts), and it's had an aim act on some other sites. While this is in the 1Password for Mac 6.3 release notes, it's easy to miss since (as I mentioned earlier), they can get pretty long:

Improved post-filling field focus for sites that hide the password field such as Google and Tumblr. {BRAIN-187}

Given the choice between Google working or other sites, I think we kind of have to find in favour of Google to do the greatest good for the most people...but we'll continue to explore other ways of improving 1Password's handling of websites. We don't give up. Thanks for the feedback, and for being patient with us! :blush:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @testastretta,

I don't know if you're interested or not but we're testing out a new approach that relates to why you contacted us. It's in the latest beta version of the 1Password Browser Extension which can be found at 1Password Browser Extensions if you're interested. Assuming you have the stable version installed you may need to uninstall it first to install the beta version. We've had success with another site and it looked promising when I was trying out the two sites you mentioned but it was only with test Login items and not real ones. Just thought you may like a heads up :smile:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

brenty, I am sorry but I have to take exception to your comment about "Given the choice between Google working or other sites, I think we kind of have to find in favour of Google to do the greatest good for the most people". I for one do not use Google for anything. I do have other websites that I use on a daily basis that now have the auto submit broken. I know that you cannot keep everyone happy, but after years of using 1Password (starting with version 3) and recommending it to others, I now do not feel that I can recommend 1Password and I feel like I might have to look elsewhere. Perhaps the time has come for a Light Version that just works. Sorry about the rant.

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ littlebobbytables

I do indeed run on the bleeding edge (betas) so I believe I have this version already. If there is some way to examine the version solely of Mini, please advise.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

brenty, I am sorry but I have to take exception to your comment about "Given the choice between Google working or other sites, I think we kind of have to find in favour of Google to do the greatest good for the most people". I for one do not use Google for anything. I do have other websites that I use on a daily basis that now have the auto submit broken. I know that you cannot keep everyone happy, but after years of using 1Password (starting with version 3) and recommending it to others, I now do not feel that I can recommend 1Password and I feel like I might have to look elsewhere. Perhaps the time has come for a Light Version that just works. Sorry about the rant.

@Steve_H: I'm afraid that I don't understand your reference to a "light version" though. Can you elaborate? It sounds like you may be hoping for a more basic version of 1Password that doesn't try to accommodate for site-specific login issues...but that isn't possible. Everything we do to improve login filling in general or for a specific website can have an impact across the board. If there was a "one-size-fits-all" solution to the problem of login filling, we'd be all over that, as it would save a lot of work and frustration — for everyone. I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you there. :(

And of course, there's no need to apologize! If I didn't depend on Google like many others do, I would feel the same. However, we do have to take into account that the vast majority of people do use Google daily, so having 1Password work there really has to be a priority. We're not, however, satisfied to leave things as they are, and we're exploring ways to fix login issues with other niche sites without causing issues for anyone else. I'm sorry that you've been inconvenienced by the changes we've made, but we won't give up trying to improve 1Password for everyone. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I do indeed run on the bleeding edge (betas) so I believe I have this version already. If there is some way to examine the version solely of Mini, please advise.

@testastretta: Sorry for the confusion there! 1Password mini is part of 1Password's app bundle, so there isn't a separate version for it. The only way to verify the version is to make sure you don't have multiple copies on your computer. If you close 1Password completely ( Command Option Q ), delete any duplicate copies of the app, restart your Mac (to ensure that it isn't being cached by OS X), when you open 1Password, the mini launched will be from that version's app bundle.

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

Did that, says I am at 1Password 6 Version 6.3.1.BETA-1 (631001) AgileBits Beta.

It's not a show stopper for sure, just want you folks to know that at least two rather visited sites in NA are not auto-submitting.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, I do understand completely. I just guess that the ongoing loss of functionality that seems to occur everywhere with software updates is starting to get to me. Forget the Light Version, wishful thinking. On to something more constructive. How can we help 1Password get it together so all the other sites work again?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @testastretta,

Just in case there's any confusion. I'd like to cover the relationship between 1Password, 1Password mini and the extension.

1Password mini lives inside of the 1Password application bundle so the two are intrinsically linked. If you need to talk about when you're talking about the other. For the adventurous we have the beta channel where you can get a glimpse of what we're testing which of course may mean we break stuff too. So if you ever have any trouble with the 1Password application all we need is the version number and that covers both.

The 1Password Browser Extension is shared between the Mac and Windows sides and so it's a completely separate entity. It has its own developers, progress and even version numbering. So currently the latest stable version of the extension sits at version 4.5.6 and it is compatible with 1Password 4-6 for Mac and 1Password 4 for Windows. You can also try the beta of the 1Password application while being on the stable track for the extension as they're separate. It's easy to forget about the extension because both Firefox and Chrome will automatically update the extension whenever a new version is available and it's whether you like it or not these days. They'll update and they don't make a point of ensuring you know. Safari will auto-update too but only if you download the extension from the Safari Extension Gallery and not our site. Firefox and Chrome have the benefit where they have a way of allowing both betas and stable versions in their system and after you've made the choice they'll keep you updated no matter what while Safari and betas is more a manual process at the moment.

The change that caused this entire conversation happened inside the filling code that we share between platforms and refer to as the brain. We made a change to improve multi-page logins of which Google and Tumblr were two of the big sites that we were trying to improve the experience of but in general it is meant to help with 2+ page logins. There were casualties and what we've decided is maybe having some of this logic not in the brain but in the extension might lead to an improved experience as there are some things the brain simply can't deduce where the extension is in a more privileged position.

So this change that I'm referring to is currently in the beta version of the extension and only in there. You don't have to be using the beta version of 1Password to try it out and we're hoping it will help with the quirky sites that didn't like our changes. To try the beta version of the extension out, assuming you aren't already you would want to do the following.

1. Uninstall the stable version of the 1Password Browser Extension.
    2. Restart your browser.
    3. Install the beta version of the 1Password Browser Extension from our 1Password Browser Extensions page. The link is already set up to offer you the beta version.

We'd love to know if you find some sites still don't auto-submit as this is a work in progress. We'd also love to know if you find a page that was previously working with the stable version but doesn't with the beta. In both cases we learn something and we can work on improving the proposed change. If we find it doesn't work it's in a beta so we scrap the idea and think about what else we can try :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Steve_H,

It sucks but the harsh light of reality is that if we ever end up in a position where we have to choose between compatibility for a big site like Google and a much lesser used site by even a couple thousand 1Password users we'd have to make that crappy decision and say Google is the more important of the two. This is an extreme case though. What is more likely is an improvement we make for either a massively popular site or groups of sites may break compatibility elsewhere and once we learn of it we'll adapt and continue to adapt. The reason we're in this whack-a-mole position is despite how standardised the likes of HTML and JavaScript are, how you use them has incredible scope for... let's call it creativity and websites do creativity by the shedload - they love it.

So the change we made recently, as I was just saying to testastretta, wasn't just about Google and Tumblr but they were two big instances that we focussed on as if the improvement didn't help there it was pointless. The improvement though is aimed at any 2+ page login. There were casualties though and were ones we didn't anticipate because our test harness lacks a certain level of description to cover the issue. We've been working on finding a solution though and we think the solution is to shift a little of the decision into the extension where it can hopefully make a more informed call based on what how the site reacts to the fields being filled. See my previous message about how to try out the beta extension if you're interested and don't worry, you can always safely return to the stable if it doesn't pan out but we'd love to know your findings given you have sites this change is meant to try and help at.

It's a double-edged sword. The massive variation in sites out there is what keeps working on the brain and extension interesting and you're never left without something to work on. On the other hand it makes it nigh on impossible to reach a point where we can confidently say 1Password will fill everywhere you care about as some sites are just flat out whacky and others are actively hostile towards password managers. If every site had a nice, simple login page like Amazon we'd work perfectly everywhere. I'd expect from a website's perspective maintaining a simple, dedicated login page must be easier too but it seems these beliefs put my in a very small group.

The best way to help us with website compatibility is simply to let us know when you come across a site we don't work with or we've recently broken. In these cases we'd love to know the URL for the site and login page (some sites have half a dozen different login pages) and that way we can investigate by poking and prodding with all the tools we have at our disposal, one of which is access to the code for the extension. With each case we add more automated tests to try and make sure future changes don't break something we've worked to correct and while there is no guarantee it all goes toward progress and better compatibility in the ever changing world of whack web page designs.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

ltiilebobbytables, I am going to try the beta route and see what happens. Only questions is, how can I send you URLS or other information without posting in this public forum?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

FYIW, I also installed the beta of 1Password from your website

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables, here is a login page that does not work;

https://www.alaskaair.com

this login page does work;

https://www.alaskaair.com/www2/ssl/myalaskaair/myalaskaair.aspx?CurrentForm=UCSignInStart&nav:account:signin&INT-AS_NAV-prodID:MileagePlan

Enjoy. :-)

I also tested most of my other logins and them seem to be OK. I am using the beta of 1Password and the beta of the extension.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

@Steve_H Can you be a bit more specific about what doesn't work on the landing page for alaskaair.com? Granted, I did need to click on the Sign In item at the top of the screen to display the sign in form, but after that, a test login (saved manually) did fill and submit for me when I pressed Command-\ with the sign in form visible.

I tested first using 4.5.6 of the extension in Safari with 1Password 6.3 on Mac OS X 10.11.5. When I tested in Chrome where I have my development environment (and thus the changes that are in the beta), it looks like the autosubmit failed to focus the correct field, so this appears to be a regression with the latest changes in the beta. I tested a couple of other things and it does indeed look like we have some work to do here as there is another problem with this site as well. Thank you for bringing this great test case to our attention so we can make these necessary improvements.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, I click on the Sign In item at the top of the screen, the sign in form does display. Using both the extension and the mini, neither will fill in the form. The focus also does not stay on the form. The sign In form just get faded. I also tried the command /. No go. I also tried to save a new login by copy and paste username and password and then using the min save as new logician. No go. this is using beta and beta just D/L from your site.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying, Steve. We'll need to look into this one further.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Well, another site that used to work is now behaving just like the Alaska Airlines site; the site is
    https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Steve_H: I've replied to your other post here so we can avoid any unnecessary back and forth between the two. Cheers! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

The USAA site is now behaving just line the Alaska Airline site. Nope. On my system 1Password will not fill in the popup. The popup losses focus when the information window (from 1Password) opens and completely covers the login popup. If you fill in the popup via copy and paste and then try a save new login from mini, all it does is open a new Safari window. BTW is there any way to sort of combine these two posts and make it easy on everyone?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried a little experiment. Using the latest version of Safari and letting Safari save the password for Alaska Airlines, the built in password manager from Apple fills in the Alaska Airlines login perfect. Then all you do is click on the button and the login works perfect.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

@Steve_H: I've replied to your post in the other discussion. Let's avoid having this conversation in multiple places. :)

This discussion has been closed.