1Password: subscription versus licensing

Options
AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
edited April 2016 in Lounge
This discussion was created from comments split from: Subscription services.

Comments

• aziegelb
    aziegelb
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote against the subscription model here. I've been evaluating your software for the past 20 days and have been happy with it. However, today I see that the perpetual family license that I was planning to buy is no longer an option. This is very disappointing. Is there any grace period to buy the old perpetual family license for folks who downloaded the software in the past 30 days and invested their time into evaluating it under the old pricing & licensing model?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Another vote against the subscription model here. I've been evaluating your software for the past 20 days and have been happy with it. However, today I see that the perpetual family license that I was planning to buy is no longer an option. This is very disappointing. Is there any grace period to buy the old perpetual family license for folks who downloaded the software in the past 30 days and invested their time into evaluating it under the old pricing & licensing model?

@aziegelb: I'm sorry for the confusion! We did away with separate "family" licenses years ago, and finally moved to a single 1Password desktop license last month (as opposed to separate Mac and Windows licenses) to be more in line with customer expectations. 1Password Families is also a better option for families since it allows for easy sharing, and being account-based it does away with licensing and unlocks the apps across all platforms. No one's existing licenses have changed and we still offer a 30 day money back guarantee, but we no longer sell other types, only the single license in our store. You can, however, try 1Password Families for free, and you'll also get a few bonuses (including a discount) as an early adopter.

I definitely understand the subscription dilemma. It is much more complicated to budget for a monthly expense than it is a one time purchase. But if we're being realistic, even compared to the "old pricing & licensing model" 1Password for Families is cheaper — even more so with discounts like the annual plan — since all upgrades for all platforms are included for 5 people (7 as an early adopter). And going back to budgeting, that's the reason I prefer the annual plans, even in cases where they don't save me money: I only have to pay it (and therefore think about it) once a year.

I'm sorry that you were too late to get the particular deal you had in mind, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on 1Password Families once you've tried it. We're improving it every day, and it's always great to hear the different ways that people are using it and the ways they'd like us to improve it in the future. :)

• aziegelb
    aziegelb
    Community Member
    Options

It would have been nice to offer those of us that were evaluating your product under the old license model a grace period. I don't like that I made a decision to evaluate your product and invest my time into setting it up based on this pricing only to find the cost has now doubled. You may not have called it a family license but you did offer a platform license that could be used by multiple individuals in the same household.

Your statement that this new model is less expensive has some assumptions built into it which do not apply in my case. I was considering your product for my wife and myself to run on a single platform. Under your old license model this would have cost us I believe $65 for a perpetual license. Now it will cost us $60/year for the family license or $130 for two perpetual licenses. As a comparison Lastpass, which I had previously ruled out b/c I do not like the subscription model, costs only $12/year for an individual which would mean $24/year for myself and my wife. Your product is now more than double the cost of Lastpass for a two-person family. I like your product but it's now too expensive.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@aziegelb I don't work for AgileBits but am merely a volunteer here, so please don't shoot the messenger.

Although I don't personally use the Mac App Store version of 1Password I imagine that you'll still find that family sharing works with that version—so that, provided you and your wife both use the same Apple ID (which I do appreciate may not be the case) that would be one way to reduce the cost to you of 1Password.

Edit: sorry for the confusion about the single Apple ID. littlebobbytable's following post is indeed what I meant!

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aziegelb,

I believe the Family Sharing that @Stephen_C is referring to is actually Apple's Family Sharing where you can connect multiple Apple IDs up and share purchases between them. It's a Apple sanctioned way of sharing apps or applications that have Family Sharing enabled. It doesn't work for in-app purchases but it does allow you to share music, video and applications or at least that is my understanding.

This discussion has been closed.