Updating a password in a Shared Vault places new password in my Personal Vault

iamecho
iamecho
Community Member

Hi and good morning amazing 1Password fix-it team!

I tried to find an existing thread on this topic but couldn't, so apologies if one is currently open.

I was using the fabulous Watchtower this morning to go through my Personal vault and Shared family vaults. AT&T needed a password update which I proceeded to do from within the Shared vault. More often than not I get the "update existing password" dialog box when I have updated the password, but occasionally the password just gets updated on the site only and I have to manually find the new password and update the specific entry in 1Password. This was the case for AT&T this morning. So within the Shared vault I went in search of my new AT&T password. It wasn't there! It took me a few minutes to realize the new AT&T password was sitting in the password section of my Personal vault even though I was working in the Shared vault.

I wouldn't call this a bug in anyway, but it would have been more intuitive (for me at least) to have found the new password in the password category of the vault I was working in. So I was just wondering if either I was don't something wrong or this is something that you know about and may tweak in the future?

1Password Version: Version 6.3.BETA-3 (630003) AgileBits
Extension Version: 1Password Beta 4.5.6.2
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Hi @iamecho,

Had you actually switched over to the Shared vault as your view, or were you in All Vaults? When in All Vaults 1Password saves any items in your default "vault for saving," which defaults to your Primary/Personal vault.

Thanks.

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@bwoodruff Thanks for your response Ben. I was in the Shared vault, not All Vaults, when the password was changed, but you are right that my Vault for Saving is set to Personal. So even though I was in the shared vault I still need to go into the Personal vault to copy the password in the event the login doesn't offer to update the existing password? It's not a problem to do that, it just seems a long way round. Thanks ;)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@bwoodruff BTW, how do you blur something out when posting a screenshot? A special app or a function I don't know about on my MBP?

• @iamecho Megs took that screenshot, so I'm not sure what she used. When I do it I use Skitch, which is an Evernote companion app.

You generated the password using the browser extenson, right? Was the extension set to the Shared vault, or was it set to All Vaults?

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@bwoodruff The extension was also set to shared vault.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@bwoodruff Oh, and I figured out a way to blur using boring old Preview on the mac!

• @iamecho Perfect!

That is strange though, I think. I'll do some testing and see if I can reproduce that.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@bwoodruff I've reproduced it twice.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@bwoodruff Hey Ben - I just reproduced it a third time. Selected my Shared Vault and found a login that needed an updated password. Also confirmed extension was on the same vault. This time it was hp.com. I updated the password and 1Password didn't show the dialogue box to update existing password. When I went to retrieve the new password from the password category it wasn't there .. it was in my personal vault. So, easily reproducible. For these tests I have been using chrome and 1P beta extension. Happy to try on safari if you'd like.

• I don't think that'll be necessary. I just tried it myself and can confirm. It sounds like we have some logic built-in so that generated passwords are only saved in the Primary / Personal vault. I imagine that is to prevent passwords from accidentally ending up in shared vaults when not intended to be there. I'll pass the feedback along to the dev team though to see if that is something they might reconsider.

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@bwoodruff Ok, thank you and have a great weekend!

• You're most welcome! You as well. :)

Ben

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

Ben, can you explain how to "You generated the password using the browser extension, right? " "Was the extension set to the Shared vault, or was it set to All Vaults?"
    Where do I make that setting specifically for the browser extension???

Thomas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gnarreb: Sorry for the confusion! There isn't a separate setting for the extension. You can go to 1Password Preferences > All Vaults and set the default Vault for Saving there though. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.