Suggestion Serial & ICCID capture

Bruce
Bruce
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Greetings to all...

With ICCIDs being in the news currently it occurred to me to want to record this information myself for my iPhone, iPad and perhaps my old iPod 4G...

The natural place for me to want to put this info is 1Password as it syncs my logins/passwords etc etc

It would be great if, when syncing between 1PW and a given device, 1PW could capture the Serial/IMEI/ICCID device info and be able to display and retain it in 1PW - so that if the device is lost, stolen or no longer starts - you have a record of these numbers should you need them - for Genius Bar appt. or to give to your carrier or insurance company...

iTunes displays them if you click on the info in the summary screen - but thats only if the device is recognised in iTunes....

best
B

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the feedback, Bruce. This would be a one-time operation for most people (or few, at most), so it may be better to create a secure note for this purpose than to build this kind of automation into 1Password. You can copy the UDID from iTunes, as you've stated, or you can use an application like Ad Hoc Helper to e-mail it to yourself so you can paste it into a secure note instead of having to enter it manually.

I hope that works out for you.
  • I had a similar idea, but also just ended up adding secure notes. For me it's mostly about tracking MAC for managing wireless network access, though storing the serial number is important in case of theft, and having UDID handy is increasingly important for developer support for iOS apps. If Agile does decide to implement a sort of personal database of product serials (for all kinds of devices) I'd be all for it-- and would even drop another $30 on it if it were developed as a separate app, but the critical thing for me is having access to the info from my iPhone, so Secure Notes is the best place for now.

Anyway I guess I just wanted to tell Bruce that he's not alone in wanting to keep track of that sort of thing. Good on you Bruce for thinking of useful features even if they are for a niche sub-set of users.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for your vote of confidence, Mooney.

Just as a followup, Apple does not allow apps to capture this sort of information. But it is a good idea to keep a record of these somewhere to improve chances of recovering a stolen device.

There are a number of companies that offer some sort of recovery or tracking of stolen devices and computers. Personally, I use Undercover by Orbicule, but you might find something that suits your needs and budget better.

There is also a free program for the Mac called Mactracker. It's not a theft recovery tool, but it knows about lots of Apple products and is good for keeping track of serial numbers, MAC address, warranty expirations and so on.

Again, thanks for the vote of confidence that if we were to branch out to other kinds of data management software you would go with it.

Cheers,

-j
This discussion has been closed.