Touch ID is not working for 1Password...on my iphone 6

Options
dhanson2go
dhanson2go
Community Member

My iPhone is using ID Touch...have been for over a year
1st screen on 1Password shows finger print and Key hole
when touch finger print and let go... then displays finger Print again AND Touch ID for 1Password(Unlock 1Password)
Touching finger print now does nothing
Must Cancel and enter Password directly

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:touch-id-faq, ug:ios/touch-id, ug:ios/, ug:ios/touch-id, kb:touch-id-faq

Comments

• Eurisko2000
    Eurisko2000
    Community Member
    Options

Touch ID nor PIN working for my iPhone 6

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dhanson2go: Sorry for the trouble! While 1Password (or any app) has no control over Touch ID, you may be able to simply restart the device or re-set Touch ID (turn it off and then back on) to get it working, but there are a few other tips that you can try to get it working. Just follow these steps:

1. Go to 1Password Settings > Security and disable Touch ID
    2. Go to iOS Settings > Touch ID & Passcode
    3. Enter the device passcode
    4. Disable the "Use Touch ID for" settings
    5. Hold the Sleep/Wake button and "slide to power off"
    6. Hold the Sleep/Wake button to power the device back on
    7. Unlock it with the device passcode
    8. Go to iOS Settings > Touch ID & Passcode
    9. Enter your device passcode
    10. Enable the "Use Touch ID for" settings
    11. Go to 1Password Settings > Security and enable Touch ID

Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• dhanson2go
    dhanson2go
    Community Member
    Options

Tried the protocol you suggested...couple times!

• I get the finger print under the key hole and Master Password Entry box
    • Touch it and get "Touch ID for 1Password" or Cancel
    • can only Cancel*

Dick

• Ben
    Options

Dick,

When you get the "Touch ID for 1Password" prompt, what happens when you rest your registered fingerprint on the Touch ID sensor (the home button)? Touch ID is registered through the home button, not the screen.

Please let us know.

Ben

• alking737
    alking737
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem with iPad. Brenty's suggestion fixed it. Thanks much!!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• Matellis
    Matellis
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. I tried Brenty's suggestion twice with no luck. All my other Touch ID apps work fine on this phone, it's just 1Password. Been this way for about a month and it would be really nice to find a fix.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Matellis,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with 1Password's Touch ID unlock, and thanks for posting here for help. To get a better idea of what's going on, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include as much detail about the issue as you can.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that you get a timely response.

Once we see the report, we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• Matellis
    Matellis
    Community Member
    Options

I got the answer via email support: there's a setting in Advanced -> Security that controls when the master password is asked for. This was set to 1 hour for some reason. Setting it to a longer period (e.g. Device restart) fixed the issue.

Separately, the Auto-Lock setting under Settings -> Security was set to 10 minutes. So if I unlocked 1Password and went back to it less than 10 minutes later, I got no challenge; more than 60 minutes I got the password; only when I went back between 11 and 59 minutes did I get the Touch ID. Something definitely changed a few weeks back, I suspect it may be linked to a reset-iPhone I did but it may have been a new feature or changed default.

This is super confusing. Not sure what the right answer is, but something like a warning dialog about this if you enable Touch ID and have an Ask For Master Password setting that's short (1h or 2h) would probably help a bunch of folks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Matellis: Sorry for the confusion! Thanks for updating the thread! The setting you're referring to is so you can set an absolute limit for how long 1Password will go without requiring your Master Password.

In case it helps anyone else, when you enable Touch ID in 1Password Settings > Security, Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password defaults to Never. Auto-Lock also defaults to 10 minutes.

Also, whatever you have these set to will be reflected in the text under "Touch ID":

"Your Master Password will be required after..." etc. Cheers! :)

• Matellis
    Matellis
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty I think that's the bug: I've always had TouchID enabled and working great until 4-6 weeks ago when suddenly it started asking for the Master Password all the time. No changes on my end, and working fine on my iPad.

At this time something happened: maybe a software update on your end or an iOS reset settings on my end or (something else?) set the Require Master Password request to 1 hour. And when I carried out any of the many solutions recommended for this problem none of them reset Require Master Password to Never. Turning on TouchID did not set the Require Master Password to "Never". I've never altered that setting (not even aware of it!) and somehow it was at 1 hour.

I also didn't notice the text under TouchID. I really think it needs to be highlighted much more if you have a TouchID requirement of less than an hour and a Require Master Password of 1hr or 2hrs as you're basically going to get TouchID 1 time in 20 goes without understanding why.

I'm just happy I got it working. Thanks for your help.

• Ben
    Options

We did indeed have a bug where if you had previously adjusted the Touch ID timeout you could end up with a conflict between those two settings. We're working on getting that fixed up, but folks may need to manually adjust the Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password setting to the desired value when running into this problem.

Thanks for the update and feedback!

Ben

• UAnicka
    UAnicka
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue (on my iPad Air and iPhone 6), started about two weeks ago, when I touch the touch id, I get the attached message, and only option is to hit cancel, bringing you back to main window, a complete circle. My only option is to manually enter to open the app. I've done all of the recommended "fixes" detailed in this thread to no avail. Please get this fixed!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@UAnicka: I'm sorry for the confusion! When you get that prompt ("Touch ID for 1Password"), tapping "Cancel" will dismiss it. If you want to unlock 1Password with Touch ID, hold — don't press — your registered finger on the Home button so the embedded Touch ID sensor can read it. I hope this helps! :)

• Khyron
    Khyron
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, my wife and I both have iPhone 6s's and 1Password. Mine works as expected, but her 1Password will never prompt her to use Touch ID. Touch ID works for other iPhone apps, and she can use it to unlock the iPhone itself. I verified that Touch ID is enabled in her 1Password, and under Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password it is set to Never, and Auto Lock is set to 2 minutes.

I tried brenty's steps earlier in the thread (turning off touch ID on the iPhone and 1Password app, rebooting, turning them both back on. But her 1Password never even tries to prompt her for Touch ID, it always requires the master password.

We are both on the latest ios version and latest 1Password version.

Anything else we can try? She rarely uses 1Password anymore since I convinced her choose a strong master password, and she hates typing it in every time. Thanks in advance.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Khyron,

Thanks for the note. I'm sorry to hear Touch ID is not working properly in 1Password for your wife. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Khyron
    Khyron
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben. So I started my wife's 1Password to run the diag, and low and behold it asked for a finger print! She swears she didn't reboot the phone or change anything, and we didn't do any updates. I went ahead and restarted the phone a couple times and 1Password is still prompting for Touch ID now as it should.

So, not sure what voodoo magic you did to make it work.... :)

Thanks for the quick reply. If it starts acting up again I'll send in the diag. She is excited to start using it more now. Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

lol I wish we could take credit for that, but sometimes Touch ID just gets hung up. I also wish that iOS devices were always more reliable than PCs. They usually are, but I suppose all technology is made my imperfect people and therefore imperfect. :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it's working again now. You should be all set, but we're here for you (and your family!) if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• ineedhelp
    ineedhelp
    Community Member
    Options

Yep so I don't remember my masterpassword and it keeps asking for it, I used to use touch id and now I cant anyomre

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ineedhelp: I'm sorry to hear about the lost Master Password! For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. No information about your Master Password is ever sent to us. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

Recover your Master Password

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

This discussion has been closed.