Problem filling in Amazon login details in Chrome

EarthAura
EarthAura
Community Member

I'm not sure if this happens with other login entries as well, but at least when trying to sign into Amazon (co.uk) with the 1P keyboard in Chrome, no login is found and the search button is missing. The 1P keyboard shows the 1P icon as blue, indicating that a match was found, but upon pressing it, I am greeted with the "No login item found" and a large "Open 1Password" button. There is no search button either, but there should be, right?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• This is the intended behaviour and I will explain why. When the 1Password keyboard is able to detect login fields on the screen, it glows blue. It does not mean it was able to match a login in your vault with the domain. That process does not happen until you have unlocked your vault!

Once you unlock your vault, 1Password attempts to match logins in your vault using the domain name of the website you’re on. At this point, you will see the No matching login was found message if a login cannot be found.

The option to browse your list of logins and search through your items is disabled. Because automatic filling happens so quickly, this helps prevent filling your credentials onto sites it's not intended for (including phishing sites).

To ensure a login is found when you’re on the Amazon UK site. Make sure your Amazon login contains https://www.amazon.co.uk/. This should match the login correctly.

• EarthAura
    EarthAura
    Community Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation @saad. It seems I had misunderstood the meaning of the blue 1P icon.

One problem I have with the missing search icon is that this beats the purpose of the keyboard and forces me to copy-paste the password.

Another problem is that android 1p doesn't support multiple websites for one login. I frequent at least 6 different Amazon sites (com, co.uk, de, fr, es, it, not to mention other Amazon services) so duplicating the login item is not an option.

• Thanks for the suggestions, @EarthAura. Your points are valid and I will bring them up with the team. :) Multiple URLs would really help in this case!

• EarthAura
    EarthAura
    Community Member

Thanks @saad :chuffed: ! I agree that multiple URLs would fix this to a satisfactory degree, there's still the case where a password can't really be assigned to a URL or needed outside the scope of a URL, that's when a search option would be useful, but I can live without it.

• EarthAura
    EarthAura
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

By the way, if the reason for removing the search button (when login fields have been detected) was that automatic filling happens too fast, wouldn't it be possible to disable automatic filling when using the search? Instead you would just have the "Fill username" and "Fill password" buttons available as you do when there aren't any login fields detected. Somehow this behavior feels more consistent with how the keyboard otherwise behaves.

Now there's a non-intuitive mode of the keyboard that is enabled whenever login fields are detected that breaks the user expectation (at least in my case). Normally if a login wasn't detected it would be possible to fill login details into the field, but since it was, it's not. I realize that disabling autofill might also break user expectation of what should happen, but I think that's a lesser breakage than the current one. This disabling of autofill could even be conveyed to the user when clicking the search icon or similar.

PS This post was edited after playing a bit more around with the keyboard and having a better understanding how it behaves under different circumstances.

• Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, @EarthAura. I'll definitely pass this along to the team. :)

This discussion has been closed.