Secure note notes field not displaying fully on iPad

Options
DuncanB
DuncanB
Community Member

Hi,

When I open a secure note on my iPad I'm not seeing all of the text.

I've seen the discussion at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/43089/secure-notes-not-displaying-fully-on-iphone

I'm not having the problem on my iPhone, but am seeing it on my iPad 2 (with latest iOS) whether in landscape or portrait mode. The only way I can see the full text is to click on Edit and then Done. I don't actually need to go into the notes field to edit it. But it is still a nuisance. It works fine on the far smaller iPhone screen with the same version of 1Password and of iOS. It also works fine on my Mac.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Duncan

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 9.3.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DuncanB: Hmm. Either there's some misunderstanding, or I'm not able to reproduce the issue you're describing. For example:

I have an incredibly long excerpt (ending with the phrase "build a tower that doesn't suck?" in case you want to try this yourself) from Neil Stephenson's {In the Beginning was the Command Line" stored in a Secure Note, and apart from how long it takes, I don't have any trouble scrolling through it. Could you use that or another dummy Secure Note and show me what you're seeing with a screenshot or video?

• DuncanB
    DuncanB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for looking at this, Brenty. I've had another look and tested it from scratch. I couldn't get the article you mentioned so I've just used a book review from today's Guardian. Then I repeated it with another two to see if I could reproduce it. I have two vaults and most of my secure notes are in a separate vault from my primary one.

1) I created a new secure note in my primary vault on my Mac. When I looked at this on my iPad it had full scrolling available - by that I mean I was able to scroll to the end of the article in the notes field. The text of the note did not appear at the top of the text, but some way down with the typeface cut off at the top slightly (which looks a bit like your screenshot)

2) I copied the article on my iPad to the other vault. Then it appeared to have scrolling, but would not go to the end of the article. Closer inspection showed that it was scrolling the whole record - not the notes field itself. The note text appeared at the start rather than the mid way positioning described above. Clicking on Edit > Done (without actually editing the note), enabled full scrolling within the note field again. It's as if 'focus' went from the whole secure note to the notes field itself.

3) Switching to another note and then back returned it to the 'pre-edit' status i.e. I needed to click on Edit > Done to be able to scroll the whole note box itself again.

This seemed to affect the original item in the Primary vault as well - it had been ok originally.

When I tested it with a second newly created secure note it did not have this behaviour even after editing it on the iPad, which is puzzling.

I've closed and restarted the app fully to see if that makes any difference. It did not. I restarted the iPad - that made no difference either.

I then did it with yet another newly created secure note and it behaved just as the second one did (i.e. ok). But the first one is still behaving inconsistently.

I attach two screenshots: the one with the text cut off is the one which scrolls correctly. The one with the text at the beginning does not. Removing the first character " makes no difference.

Thanks for any ideas.

Duncan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DuncanB: I think there may be some confusion here. In my screenshot, the text is "cut off" because I haven't scrolled to the top. It sounds like you're scrolling the entire detail view when you really need to scroll the Notes field itself:

Does that help?

• DuncanB
    DuncanB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Brenty.

Alas although your hypothesis makes sense it's not what was happening. I've just checked again and the same behaviour is shown.

The two which work fine do just as you describe. These do show the text almost midway down and when I start scrolling it's as though I was at that point: it doesn't start from the top. I thought it might be to do with editing, but when I edited something at the beginning and saved it, it showed the selfsame behaviour. So it seems random (though I'm sure it's not). That's a fairly trivial problem - unless you're keeping very long notes in the field and want to pick up where you left off. The summary listing (left hand column) does show the beginning of the text for all three - which is useful because I put some additional structured information there to identify other aspects of the record.

The one which is more troubling is the one which doesn't behave as expected when tapping within the field (ie on the green number 2). Tapping once scrolls the whole record. The only way to give focus to that particular field is to tap Edit > Done.

I tried double-tapping and tap and hold and in all three it behaves as expected: it selects a word and brings up the context sensitive menu (copy etc).

Puzzling!

Is there any way I can send you the records without compromising privacy?

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Duncan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@DuncanB: First of all, thank you so much for being patient with all of my questions here. It's not that I thought you were crazy, but this is one thing in particular that's kind of difficult to communicate, so I appreciate you bearing with me.

It seems pretty clear that something is wrong with one(?) specific Secure Note's scrolling behaviour, and some more information from 1Password itself will hopefully shed some light on things.

The best thing to do will be to restart your device and setup the following logging:

In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App and UI Items.

Then reproduce the same issue, and generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Hopefully that will at least give us a sense for what could be causing this, even if I'm not able to reproduce it myself. Thanks again for your willingness to troubleshoot this! :)

Edit: And just to be clear, the diagnostics report does not contain personal information or any of your 1Password data, but I encourage you to open it in your browser to confirm this yourself before sending.

ref: PUI-47243-333

• DuncanB
    DuncanB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Brenty. I know these sorts of things require patience and am grateful for yours.

I've sent the diagnostics as requested. I suppose we'll carry on our conversation away from the forum now.

Best wishes,

Duncan

• Ben
    Options

Thanks Duncan! We'll carry on via email. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.