Why do I still have a "primary" vault when setting up a new iOS device from scratch?

Options
mrmachine
mrmachine
Community Member

I didn't even notice at first because this fact is not really exposed in the UI (but the primary vault does show up in settings). But I ran into problems when I changed my password on another device (Mac or web, can't remember). Then when I tried to login on iOS, I couldn't.

My password is long, so I thought I mistyped it. I tried a bunch of times, carefully, and it didn't work. The OLD password worked. It seems that when I unlock 1Password on iOS I am actually unlocking this hidden "primary" vault, which then goes and unlocks the family vaults.

In the end I had to change my password again on my iOS device, even though I had already changed it on web or Mac. I don't think I had to do this on other Macs that are also syncing to the same account.

This is annoying, having to manually make the same password change on different devices, and wasted a bunch of my time thinking I was just mistyping my long password.

There should not be any need for a "primary" vault on iOS anymore, when setup from scratch with a family account, just like there isn't on OS X.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @mrmachine,

Sorry for the confusion, and time you spent trying to figure this out. We didn't get a chance to include a Families-only mode in 1Password for iOS until recently. We'll be releasing an update for the app soon with this change and you can feel free to remove and install the app again once that's released to use the app without a Primary vault. :) Keep an eye on the Updates tab in the App Store for that release.

ref: OPI-3397

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth I've waiting for this too. I already moved my Mac to just Families, can't wait to do it with iOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Almost there. Thanks for your patience! :)

This discussion has been closed.