Moving back to 1Password for Mac

Options
DaveyDave
DaveyDave
Community Member

I've moved back to 1Password for Mac because I miss the convenience of the attachments feature that didn't make the transition to Families. (I also miss smart folders but found it easier to accept that loss.) I have copied all items back to local vaults and converted each document back in to an attachment. Everything is working fine with my local setup.

My question is related to my data that is stored on your servers. If I simply delete the items from each vault, will my data be completely removed from the servers?

Also, it is sufficient for me just to remove my credit card to prevent future charges, or should I contact support?

Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• julie-tx
    julie-tx
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DaveyDave -

Right now we are not permanently deleting any data from the database. There is a very good reason for doing this for the time being. Because of the encryption we use, it is also immune from attacks.

Security is built on three principals -- Confidentiality, Integrity, Availability, or "CIA".

Confidentiality is obvious - we don't want your data falling into the wrong hands. Integrity is a bit less obvious - what you store with us must be returned to you just as you sent it to us.

Availability is often the harder problem to solve. For example, we protect you from Internet outages by caching the encrypted data on your device. If the Internet goes out, or our servers go down, you still have access to your data and we meet that part of the Availability requirement. We also make backups, and we have plans to relocate the entire service in the event of a disaster of some sort.

But what about accidental deletions? Is that also an "Availability" requirement? Yes -- because we must also protect against malicious deletions.

Right now we are not permanently deleting any data. If you ask to have your team deleted and you destroy all of the copies of your Master Password and Account Key, the data is gone for all times. We cannot regenerate the Master Unlock Key or any of the keys needed to decrypt the keysets used to encrypt your data. This protects your data from being decrypted by us or anyone else.

The inability to decrypt your data means that sooner or later we need to start deleting it from the database so we don't accumulate unusable information.

• Jacob
    Options

@jamiga I just responded to your other post. Let's try to work out the issue with the account first, then look into moving back if we can't get things working properly for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.