1Password crashes when connecting to 1Password mini

Options
littlebobbytables
littlebobbytables
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password crashes when connecting to 1Password mini..

Comments

• trampco
    trampco
    Community Member
    Options

I get the same error every time I update 1Password. My solution is to uninstall/reinstall it after every update.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trampco,

I feel that the two issues are unrelated so I've split your request for assistance off of the other thread.

Can I ask, are you a Mac App Store customer or an AgileBits Store customer?

We are aware of an issue where this message can be seen after an update downloaded from the Mac App Store. The reason for the error is the App Store will quit 1Password to apply the update but it doesn't know to quit 1Password mini which runs in the background. We don't know what we might be able to do to resolve this yet but we do know that both the following work.

• Before letting the App Store update 1Password quit both 1Password and 1Password mini. You can do this using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q when the main 1Password window is open.
    • The same trick should also work after the update when you see the message. It's a bit more severe and people don't have to but restarting the Mac would also resolve the issue because a fresh instance of 1Password mini would be launched after the reboot. It's a bit more severe and there are ways, as described above to get round this.

This is if you're a Mac App Store customer that receives updates to 1Password from the App Store. You definitely shouldn't be seeing this if you're running the AgileBits Store version because our updater know to quit both 1Password and 1Password mini before updating. We'll know better when we hear back from you :smile:

• trampco
    trampco
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I'm a MAS customer.

Thanks for the suggestion. Closing both apps before updating is definitely less extreme than reinstalling 1P every time!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @trampco,

Obviously we'd like it if users didn't have to approach us to discover this but hopefully you find the upgrade process a little less awful now :smile:

This discussion has been closed.