How to determine and change vault location in 1PW 6?

Options
ylluminate
ylluminate
Community Member

I used to keep my vault for 1PW in Dropbox long ago. It seems that with updates over the years, some things have changed with how the main storage is handled. I believe that everything is stored in a "vault" now, however it seems as though there is no way to move vaults from the preferences or to determine where they are located. How can we find out the location(s) and move these vaults?

1Password Version: 6.3 BETA 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How to determine and change vault location in 1PW 6?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ylluminate: All of the 1Password data is stored in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/. if you want to though, you can use Folder Sync to make them available in a specific location. I hope this helps! :)

• ylluminate
    ylluminate
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, curious. So the actual contents are in the Data folder therein, correct? What has me discombobulated is that there is a folder that is being recently modified in my Dropbox folder that is not in the 1Password folder. So in ~/Dropbox/1Password/ I have 1Password.agilekeychain, but then in another folder that I'd created years ago called Private I have also another seeming active 1Password.agilekeychain.

So thanks very much for that information / confirmation, but I am still left with a mystery that I need to sort out here.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ylluminate,

Way back in 1Password 3 for Mac the Agile Keychain was your vault. Syncing wasn't so much syncing, it was literally moving the vault into Dropbox and then various copies could read and write directly to the vault.

This changed in 1Password 4 for Mac/iOS when we moved to using an encrypted SQLite database file to locally stored your vault or vaults. Now this folder is always stored inside your Library folder and the precise location is dependent on whether you're running the AgileBits Store or Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac. So how do we synchronise now? What happened was the Agile Keychain format was relegated from being the vault to being the sync container. Nowadays we use the OPVault format but whether it's an Agile Keychain or OPVault, we generate these the you instruct 1Password to sync.

Each vault you have will require it's own separate Agile Keychain/OPVault container as they were only ever designed to store a single vault. You can check in 1Password which vaults are syncing and to where by looking in the Sync tab of 1Password's preferences. You will need to select each vault in turn to see how it is set up but you should be able to see what Agile Keychains are currently in use. It might be you do have an old Agile Keychain stored in a folder you haven't used for a while and you should be able to safely remove it if that is the case.

By the way, don't worry if you accidentally delete an Agile Keychain that was in use. As it is only used for syncing all that happens is 1Password complains that the sync file has disappeared and you would have to go through the process of having it create a new one. That's one thing I like about the current setup, we can delete and create a new Agile Keychain if it helps solve a situation.

Does any of that help at all?

This discussion has been closed.