Copying a vault icon from Mac to iOS devices

Options
baggend
baggend
Community Member

I'll try to keep this simple by just describing what I'm trying to achieve, rather than how to do it a certain way. I have 4 vaults that I created on my Mac that are 'archive' vaults. They're for logins that I'll rarely use, that will rarely change, but that I still may need to access for a long period of time. (e.g. a 401k account login from a previous job).

I created these vaults on my Mac and went through a fair bit of effort to specify a custom vault icon for each one so that I can easily distinguish between them. Now i want to make these same vaults accessible on my iOS devices, but using the Dropbox sync doesn't copy across the vault icon. I found another thread on here that seems to confirm that vault icons are, indeed, stored locally in 1Password's database instead of inside the keychain itself.

Since I'm also using 1Password for Families, I figured that I'd just create new vaults in the family account, but I can't find any way to copy over the vault icon itself to the new vault. I deleted the source file for these icons a long time ago, so the only place they exist anymore as far as I can tell is inside the 1Password database.

So, to reiterate, what I want to do is EITHER using Dropbox sync or 1Password for Families, have my vault icons for existing vaults on my Mac, also show up on my iOS devices. Is there any way to do that? (I'd be happy to just copy the image out of the 1Password database if that's possible, I just don't know where to look.) Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.BETA-8 (630008)
Extension Version: 4.5.6.b4
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox & 1Password for Families

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @baggend,

Assuming you are very handy with this sort of thing, you could open the OnePassword.sqlite file, go to the profiles table, and get the icon_data field from the profiles you seek from the there.

It could be a PNG or a JPG data. The sqlite file should be available from ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data if you use the webstore version or ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/ for the App Store version.

I believe this would work, but am not 100% certain.

However, keep in mind that the image for those are much lower resolution than are now allowed as icons for Family vaults.

Hope this helps.

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @nathanvf! That worked! I was able to extract one of the icons (a 144x144 png) and successfully use it when creating a new team vault. And that vault now shows up on both my iPhone and the iPad with the icon!

However, keep in mind that the image for those are much lower resolution than are now allowed as icons for Family vaults.

This seems to be working fine for me, but does this mean that the vaults I create today could stop showing the icons at some point? Or just that I may not be able to create new team vaults using these icons in the future?

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @baggend, no they should work forever. I'm just saying they could be "better" aka saved in a large resolution with a lossless format. Glad that it worked for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.