New to 1Password, have some questions.

Fireshot
Fireshot
Community Member
edited August 2011 in 1Password 4 for Windows
1Password does not appear to be working.
I am a current user of Lastpass, overall I really like it, however recent events have certainly raised some questions about storing personal info in a cloud out of my control. I have downloaded 1Password for Windows and Mac. (I have a Macbook Pro, however the vast majority of my usage will be Windows based.)

I exported my Lastpass data to Firefox, and then imported it to 1Password via Dropbox (on the Mac). After syncing I have all the data no available on my Windows desktop as well. I cannot seem to get the Auto-Fill/Submit working. On most sites I can hit CTRL+\ to get it to work, however that doesn't explain why the Auto-Submit isn't working. (It is turned on in the settings).

I also have several Webpages which run on the local network. These provide login boxes that are not embedded in the webpage. They pop up another authentication box. (example include Nagios, ddwrt, sabnzbd etc). I cannot get 1Password to Auto fill these boxes at all. I have to manually load the program and copy and paste.

The Browser plugin seems very weak compared to Lastpass. For example on Lastpass I can right click the icon and see all logins associated with the current page. I can right click on a login and copy the username or password to the clipboard.

Also is there an easy way to download the icon for all the imported sites, or do I have to manually do it for them all?

So far these are the big things. I will update if I notice anything new. Does anyone have any suggestions to work around the "bugs" I seem to have or are these all by design?

Thanks

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2011
    Fireshot wrote:

I also have several Webpages which run on the local network. These provide login boxes that are not embedded in the webpage. They pop up another authentication box. (example include Nagios, ddwrt, sabnzbd etc). I cannot get 1Password to Auto fill these boxes at all. I have to manually load the program and copy and paste.

This is what Auto-Type is for: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/auto-type.html

Fireshot wrote:

The Browser plugin seems very weak compared to Lastpass. For example on Lastpass I can right click the icon and see all logins associated with the current page. I can right click on a login and copy the username or password to the clipboard.

1Password isn't necessarily weaker - it is different. 1Password does not support right-click, but it does show all logins associated with the current page when you click the 1P button in your web browser.

If you're not seeing the 1P button your web browser, please follow these instructions: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/missing-1P-button.html

Fireshot wrote:

Also is there an easy way to download the icon for all the imported sites, or do I have to manually do it for them all?

1Password is doing this automatically whenever a new login item is created (either via auto-save or when you create a new login item manually).
  • Fireshot
    Fireshot
    Community Member

So I have to manually open the 1Password program, and manually click on the Auto-Type button for the username/password? Is there no way to have it automatically fill in the information? I also don't understand why it isn't filling in the username/password fields on webpages. I have to manually click the button, then click the "Log in with..." button. It seems like a lot of work compared to lastpass.

1Password isn't necessarily weaker - it is different. 1Password does not support right-click, but it does show all logins associated with the current page when you click the 1P button in your web browser.

If you're not seeing the 1P button your web browser, please follow these instructions: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/missing-1P-button.html

I see the button just fine. But when I click it, it opens a new window centered in the middle of my monitor. Where as Lastpass opens a menu right from the button. It might now seem like much, but it is a lot faster and easier in Lastpass.

1Password is doing this automatically whenever a new login item is created (either via auto-save or when you create a new login item manually).

It does it for all new items, it doesn't do it for the hundreds of them that I imported.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Instead of the 1P button, you can press Ctrl+\ on your keyboard. Assuming you have a single login item associated with the current domain name, 1Password will fill (and optionally submit) your login immediately.
  • Fireshot
    Fireshot
    Community Member
    edited August 2011

Instead of the 1P button, you can press Ctrl+\ on your keyboard. Assuming you have a single login item associated with the current domain name, 1Password will fill (and optionally submit) your login immediately.

This doesn't seem to work for auto-type however. It's odd because it works just fine in Firefox on the Mac. Or at least the pop up window has a 1P button in it to auto fill the credentials.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Fireshot wrote:

This doesn't seem to work for auto-type however. It's odd because it works just fine in Firefox on the Mac. Or at least the pop up window has a 1P button in it to auto fill the credentials.

Correct. On Windows, our browser extensions do not support HTTP authentication windows. This is a known issue.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

On Windows, our browser extensions do not support HTTP authentication windows.

...and, as Stefan pointed out above, this is why he created the auto-type feature.

The fact that auto-type can be used for non-browser forms (like signing in to AOL IM, for example) is just incredibly delicious icing on the cake.
This discussion has been closed.