How to get 1P to copy items referenced by an item when I share (copy) the item?

ozarkcanoer
ozarkcanoer
Community Member

I've begun Sharing items from my Personal vault to a Share vault for other Family members to access. In the process I have some items that reference other items or documents but those references are not copied.

I'd like 1P to copy the items selected as well as any documents and items referenced by the items I selected. How can I do this? It ought to be an option/setting. I want to maintain the master item in my Personal vault, so that's why I don't move some items into Share vault.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Family
Referrer: forum-search:Sharing item from Personal to Share vault drops references

Comments

• Hi @ozarkcanoer

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this question. At present related items cannot be retained across vault copies/moves, but that is something we're considering how to best handle for the future.

How would you like to see this work? Would you like all referenced items to be moved/copied when you move/copy an item, or would you like for the reference to continue to reference the item in the original vault (not that this may mean the link will not work for anyone who doesn't have access to the original vault)?

Please let me know what you think.

Ben

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member

Hello,

If you let me give my opinion on this, I would prefer the referenced document to be copied or moved to the new vault as I like working with "independent" vaults: I want everything I could need from a vault in that vault.

By the way, could you give an example of why relating not only documents? I only relate documents to my different items (my scanned passport with my passport item). But, in what cases could be useful to relate non-documents items?

Thanks and regards.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

@bwoodruff
    When I Item/Share/copy or move an item into my common vault (Share) I would like the action to also copy (or move) all the referenced items also to the same vault. In my usage scenario I'm keeping the originals in my Personal vault and the people who have access to the common vault do not also have access to my Personal vault. The Personal vault acts as the master for the items I share and I assign a 'share' tag to items I copy to the common vault. It would be nice if I could specify a tag to be assigned, if desired, when doing a Share/copy from once vault to another - a limited rule capability for use by the Item/Share/copy.

If doing a Item/Share/move action I would also want referenced items and documents to be moved, only if no other item also references the object.

An less complete interim solution would be for the Item/Share/copy to copy the item to the other vault and then to present a list of the referenced items & documents as a checklist to choose which (or all) should be copied to the other vault.

Until this functionality is present I'm going to have to manually copy other items and documents referenced from Personal to the Share vault.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

@ alvaro87

one use for me is for a Bank item and references to two debit cards from the Bank. Another are notes about each car and their VINs and insurance policies, new key codes.

• But, in what cases could be useful to relate non-documents items?

I link my credit cards with the login that I use to manage them. I also link credit cards to each account that has them (e.x. Netflix), so when I get a new card I can easily update all of those accounts.

If you let me give my opinion on this, I would prefer the referenced document to be copied or moved to the new vault as I like working with "independent" vaults: I want everything I could need from a vault in that vault.

Thanks for the feedback!

If doing a Item/Share/move action I would also want referenced items and documents to be moved, only if no other item also references the object.

Understood, thanks!

Until this functionality is present I'm going to have to manually copy other items and documents referenced from Personal to the Share vault.

That is the current state, yes.

Ben

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member

Ok, thanks! I never thought about relating items that way! :chuffed:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are quite welcome! :)

I do the same thing. It is pretty handy. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.