Fixing DropBox issue or changing Sync - on start, DropBox indexes & hogs CPU - can I fix this issue?

Options

INFO
Ive been using 1Password since 2007, but only began recently using it on a Windows 10 Machine. The computer is a SP3 with Windows 10 Pro, which was installed as a clean install, and uses EFI, GPT, and NTFS. I am also using 1Password on an iPhone, two Macs (10.11.4), and use DropBox at the syncing mechanism. All versions of 1Password are the most recent releases with the most recent updates, and the OS updates for each respective device is kept up to date. All machines, including the SP3, are healthy and running well. If it matters, all are using MLC SSDs and are connected to the same wireless router for 150 MB/s+ internet.

THE PROBLEM
Something seems to have changed regarding DropBox or Windows 10, and I am not sure how long ago. Upon boot, DropBox goes into its indexing mode. As more files accumulate, the longer this takes. When happening, it pulls quite a lot of CPU power. With the way I am using it, the computer takes about 15 seconds to perform a full boot, and then for an additional period of 15 seconds the CPU spikes and this DropBox process is using 75-90% of the resources, and then stops with no further CPU spikes.

WHAT I TRIED WITHOUT SUCCESS
Most responses I've gotten to date more or less suggest trying one or more of the below, but none of them have worked.

I thought maybe something was wrong with the DropBox app, so I did a normal uninstall, and then a reinstall. No go, so I did a detailed removal through deleting app data and preferences, and then a reinstall. Also no go. I then tried to find an older version of DropBox, and rolling back some of the most recent Win10 updates, with no avail. To rule out a computer issue, I checked the machine using the SFC, DISM scan, ChkDsk/r, and CCleaner Registry repair. Still no gain. After some research, I found that DropBox does not give users an option to disable (DropBox's) indexing on Windows machines. This is not malicious software as I use BitDefender and MalwareBytes. Using Services to change to an automatic delayed start does not change this issue either.

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?
Anyone else have this issue? What did you do? Think any of these are good options?
1. Modify Windows settings to implement a 'Search' exclusion? (from what I can tell, this should NOT work as DropBox, not Windows, is performing this indexing task, and it isn't ideal given I can't search these files)
2. Use PowerShell to limit max CPU resources that can be allocated to DropBox processes (still not ideal given that can reduce the productivity of normal use)
3. Use another syncing mechanism for 1Password - (based on what I have read, most other Sync options appear to have more cross-platform active-sync limitations...perhaps using the newer Windows iCloud application to sync via iCloud?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

On a side note, it would be really nice for AgileBits to provide phone (or videoconferencing) support. I realize providing that type of support would be very expensive, and I would gladly pay whatever the premium is.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ZapNZs: Wow! I'm really glad you brought this up, because apparently I've suffering from this same problem on one of my PCs. Unfortunately, no one here at AgileBits is really qualified to diagnose the Dropbox software or fix an issue such as this, so ultimately you may need to contact them.

That said, I'm happy to discuss it all the same. In my case, an old PC was much slower to startup recently, and I'd just assumed it was due to age. 15 seconds, frankly, would be a huge improvement for me! I had noticed the Dropbox app taking a while to startup, so your description immediately struck a chord. Sure enough, after disabling Dropbox it started up much faster! But of course I also rely on Dropbox to sync all sorts of data, so that isn't a permanent solution I don't think.

Oddly enough, it's only that one PC which seems to suffer from this problem, and even an underpowered tablet I picked up for next to nothing seems to be unaffected by Dropbox indexing. Granted, I use selective sync there due to its low storage capacity.

Based on your comments, it sounds like you've read some of the same forum and blog posts I have on the subject. If nothing else, make sure you're using the latest version of Dropbox, as I've sometimes found it isn't always up to date on my own devices. It's baffling to me that I wouldn't have this issue on all of my similarly configured PCs.

Regarding other sync methods, if you're just syncing your 1Password data between computers, you may be able to use OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. But on mobile devices this won't work, as they don't have the luxury of running a separate sync client in the background.

As for phone support, we are a small company, so we don't have a callcenter with 'operators standing by'. We try to solve problems via forums or email. For example, it is impossible to receive diagnostics information over the phone in any sane manner, and following steps at one's own pace is a huge advantage of forum and email support.

I'm sorry that I don't have a solution to offer for this problem, but I promise if I do find one I'll share it!

This discussion has been closed.