Is there a way to invoke 1password from the OS-X login screen?

Options
Marmite
Marmite
Community Member

I have multiple devices, each of which requires one or more passwords to log in. I want these passwords to be unique as well as cryptic. Is there any existing functionality that allows 1password to "intercept" the OS-X log-in process, and request my 1password master password? If not is there anything along these lines on your roadmap?

Many Thanks,

Tim.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X El Capitan
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:managing os x logins

Comments

• Sorry Tim,

No. That's not something that Mac OS X supports. You could use a long words-based password and access it on your phone. That still leaves you typing in the password, but at least it can be cryptographically strong.

• Marmite
    Marmite
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Chad. I admit that I had assumed as much, but it does seem a shame; I confess that I have tended to use the same (or similar) password(s) for discrete computers in the past, but I'm making a concerted effort to be more rigorous now. To make matters worse, most articles I have read on "hardening OS X" suggest using separate user & admin accounts, and using the non-admin account unless absolutely necessary, to add one more layer of security, effectively doubling the number of unique passwords I have to keep track of...

Maybe the iPhone fingerprint readers are spoiling me...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Maybe the iPhone fingerprint readers are spoiling me...

I certainly understand that sentiment, @Marmite. :)

I know a lot of folks on the team here have separate admin accounts, but I haven't decided it was worth the extra hassle for myself. I just use a words-based password from the generator and call it a day.

I mostly only ever need to type my 1Password Master Password and my OS X login password during the day. Thankfully, 1Password has spared me from pretty much everything else.

This discussion has been closed.