Using 1Password for BBVA Compass bank (split across 2 pages) isn't working for me

Options
ssj152
ssj152
Community Member

I have followed your instructions faithfully (I believe), and I still have to click a "next" button (an arrow) to get to the 2nd page of Compass bank's (recently updated) web site https://www.bbvacompass.com. They have dropped showing a picture and asking a question before requiring a password, making logging in faster and easier.

Background: I have a Family account and I am using the local vault as primary, with 3 vaults online (currently unused). I have 1Password setup on 2 Macs, 1 iPhone (6s Plus) and an iPad2, both running 9.3.1. I have ensured that there are no duplicate entries for this web site in any of the online vaults or on the local primary. I am the only user setup so far.

Can you assist me? Other than this I am enjoying the new version 6 and Family account and as a retired Sr. Systems Programmer I appreciate your hard work and fine product. I have used 1Password since v3.

Regards,
Stuart Johnson

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4
Sync Type: Cloud
Referrer: kb:browser-extension, kb:create-multi-page-login, kb:extension-troubleshooting, kb:diagnostics, kb:extension-troubleshooting

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @ssj152,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry for the trouble.

I am trying to find another site with a multi-page login process, but all the ones I used to use have switched to the much more customer-friendly single page. It may be that 1Password will not autosubmit a form that doesn't have a password when you fill a Login item.

What I did just now when testing the BBVA Compass site was to use the Command-Backslash (\) keyboard shortcut. The username was filled in, and the cursor focus was still in the username field. So I just pressed Return to go to the next page.

I'll see if we can improve autosubmit there, but I hope that helps in the meantime.

• ssj152
    ssj152
    Community Member
    Options

What I think 1Password needs is a way to control autosubmit between pages. I believe that it currently waits for a page with the password box on it to appear before it autosubmits. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ssj152,

There isn't actually any waiting involved in terms of page loads. For your security, 1Password will never fill anything merely when a page finishes loading. (See the abstract in this paper). This is true no matter how many pages a site may spread the login information across. You'll always need to explicitly tell 1Password to fill on each page.

But, yeah, the issue here is that "1Password will not autosubmit a form that doesn't have a password when you fill a Login item." At least that used to be the case. I wasn't able to find a different site to confirm that theory on yet. All my old standbys have switched over to a single page: Bank of America, Barclays, etc.

• marty48
    marty48
    Community Member
    Options

Try Partners Federal Credit Union https://partnersfcu.org/everyday-banking/account-access-/ This is the one vexing me. I'm a newbie but really like 1PW. Articles I have read refer to a gear icon, mini 1password and save login command. In Windows version I don't see these. Thanks for any help you can provide. Marty

• marty48
    marty48
    Community Member
    Options

I am referring to this topic: Using 1Password with login sequences split across multiple pages

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marty48,

I'm happy to hear you really like 1Password! Thanks for reaching out to us for help.

You mentioned something about the Windows version of 1Password, but you posted your comments in a discussion on our Mac forum. Can you please give us some more details about what you're trying to do, or about what sort of issue you're running into? I'm not sure if you're having difficulty creating a Login item for the site you included in your message, or if auto-submit isn't working for a certain Login item, or something else. If you can give us some more details about what's happening, we'll be more than happy to help. Thanks in advance! :)

• marty48
    marty48
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew-
    I am trying to auto-fill user name and password at a website with the user name entry on the first page and the password entry on the second page. I searched the comments and came up the above procedure. I saw the Windows logo and the Mac logo side by side on the header and concluded, wrongly, that the procedure would be similar enough that I could follow. I get the drift of the procedure in "Using 1Password with login sequences split across multiple pages" but the difference between Mac and Windows versions of 1PW is hindering my success. Auto submit is not an issue for me. If it works - great. If it doesn't I OK with that too. I also noticed that someone was commenting on the fact that not many banking websites continue to use logins spread over more than one page as my archaic financial institution continues to do. That's why I mentioned the particular one I am working on. https://partnersfcu.org/everyday-banking/account-access-/ I'm sure this is, or was, a common topic and I hope you'll be able to point me to a Windows specific discussion. Thank you.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for writing back, @marty48.

It sounds like you are viewing the Mac instructions on this page:

https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/mac.html

If you go to the page without specifying a platform (i.e. the mac.html at the end of the link), then you should see instructions for the platform on which you are viewing the article:

https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/

That is to say, if you view that link on a Mac, you'll see the Mac instructions. If you view that link on Windows, you'll see the Windows instructions.

If you need to switch between the two because you are viewing the instructions on your Mac while trying to perform them on your PC, you can click the platform selector to switch to the instructions you wish to view:

I just followed the Windows instructions and got a working Login item for https://partnersfcu.org/everyday-banking/account-access-/ so I am confident you should be able to get it working as well. Let me know how it goes when you follow the Windows steps here:

https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/win.html

:)

• marty48
    marty48
    Community Member
    Options

Hi-
    Thanks for the advice on accessing the correct OS in the discussion. Very clever. I followed the Windows procedure and found the user name on the first page auto fills OK. The password page does not. The two pages have different URLs so that might be the cause. I resorted to using a separate login for each page. This works OK. I access this page infrequently so I'm not too concerned about the extra step. I don't have any other websites like this one. Thanks for your help.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marty48,

That's really strange. When I followed the steps, I got a Login that worked on both pages. Note that you do need to tell 1Password to fill on the second page. On Windows that's Ctrl+Backslash on the first page, then Ctrl+Backslash on the password page.

What you might try is manually editing the Login you have that works on the first page. Add your password to that Login, and you can probably then use that Login to fill on both pages.

Otherwise, using two Login items as you are doing will do the trick. :)

• marty48
    marty48
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm. If I follow the recommended procedure, the user name auto fills, then I click login to bring up the pasword page. If I do Crtl+Backslash as you suggest, the password is filled and the auto submit takes me to my account. So now I can decide if this is better than 2 logins. Didn't know about Crtl+Backslash. Thank you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marty48,

That keyboard shortcut is one of my favourite features of 1Password - I hope it saves you bunches of time! I’m glad to see that Khad was able to help you out here. If you have any other questions or concerns, you know where to find us. :)

• marty48
    marty48
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.