My Google Chrome plugin is super slow on first use!

Options
robobot
robobot
Community Member

I use the Google Chrome plugin frequently throughout the day but every time it goes to sleep and I have to re-enter my master password, the first use is really slow! Maybe around 10 seconds or more. It freezes while I'm typing in my password and I either have to wait or type without seeing any feedback. Then it freezes again after I submit the credentials while the lock spins.

Is there anything I can do on my end to address this? If not, is it something the developers might be able to look at?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:google chrome slow

Comments

• rudy
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @robobot,

First, would it be possible to get you to run the beta version of 1Password? we have additional logging in that version that will make it easier for us to diagnose the problem.

please follow the directions here

once you have that installed then:

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Rudy

• robobot
    robobot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @rudy. I followed the instructions for the diagnostics. My Support ID is #PHH-93463-472

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great @robobot, we'll get back to you over email once we take a look at your info.

• robobot
    robobot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @nathanvf!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

:+1: :)

ref: PHH-93463-472

• sspiegelman
    sspiegelman
    Community Member
    Options

Launching 1password mini on FF takes a lot of CPU power and a long time to launch.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
    Extension Version: 4.5.5
    OS Version: 10.11.4
    Sync Type: dropbox

• roba999
    roba999
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting this problem as well. It's become a real issue. There's a long pause before the mini window opens in Chrome.

• roba999
    roba999
    Community Member
    Options

This is a real problem. Im running latest version of MacOS on a powerful iMac desktop with 1PW 6.2.1. The Chrome extension is incredibly slow and it used to not be this way. You've broken your software! I'm a heavy 1PW user so very disappointed about this.

• smebberson
    smebberson
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm also getting this problem. I'm pretty sure only since the latest upgrade.

1Password 6
    Version 6.2.1 (621002)
    AgileBits Store

Mac OS X 10.11.4

• vicpylon
    vicpylon
    Community Member
    Options

I also am seeing the same issue. I am using Firefox 46.0 with a El Capitan and everything is patched/current. Seemed to start right after the upgrade. It is the mac app version. I only have 1password in the applications list and it is the current version.

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @sspiegelman! That's very strange. Could you answer the following questions, please? They'll give us a better idea of what may be happening. :)

• Does this only happen in Firefox?
    • What version of Firefox are you using?
    • Do you have the 1Password extension for Firefox, or are you just using 1Password mini when things slow down?
    • When does this happen? Right when you start using 1Password mini or when you perform another action?

Thanks!

• Jacob
    Options

@roba999 Well, if it's any consolation, we weren't trying to break it. We released a new beta a few days ago with some partial fixes for this and some logging to help us find the culprit. We'd appreciate your help testing things if you'd like to see things resolved faster. Give our Using 1Password betas article a read, then send us a Diagnostics Report as Rudy mentioned above if you run into the issue again. Thanks so much for using 1Password! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @roba999,

I noticed you posted about this same issue in another thread. To avoid confusion (and so we don't duplicate efforts between here and there), I moved that message to this thread where penderworth has already replied to you. I hope you don't mind!

I'm so sorry you've been running into this problem! It's been a very difficult issue for our developers to figure out, but fortunately (as penderworth explained) we have a fix in the latest beta which should help most customers who are experiencing this. If you don't feel comfortable switching to the beta, try restarting 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. That should get things back to normal for you, at least temporarily. We hope to include the fix for this issue in a stable release as soon as possible.

By the way, you can find more information in this announcement on our Mac forum: Experiencing slow unlock issues with 1Password 6? Please read this.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smebberson and @vicpylon,

I'm sorry you're also running into this issue! There's another issue happening in the thread where you originally posted your messages, so to avoid confusion, I moved your messages to this other discussion about the problem you're experiencing. I hope you don't mind!

Please take a look at the previous replies (above) from myself and penderworth, as they explain more about this. In short, you can try our latest beta to see if that solves the problem for you, or use the workaround I described (restarting 1Password mini) as a temporary workaround until the fix is included in a stable release/update. We also posted an announcement which explains more about all this: Experiencing slow unlock issues with 1Password 6? Please read this.

We're here for you if you have any questions about that! :)

• sspiegelman
    sspiegelman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    It happens in FF and Chrome
    Using FF 46.0 and Chrome Version 50.0.2661.86 (64-bit)
    Yes, I have the password extension - it's working very slow.
    It happens when I try to launch 1pass from the browser.

• smebberson
    smebberson
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG, thanks for that. The tip to restart 1Password Mini was successful. No spinning anymore. Thank you! I look forward to this update hitting stable.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@smebberson,

On behalf of Drew, you are quite welcome! :)

Please do feel free to use the beta in the meantime. If you install it, you can disable the setting to "Include beta builds" on the Updates preference pane. Then you will only be using betas until the next stable build is released. :+1:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@smebberson,

I merged your thread with this existing thread for the issue. The short version is that you can either restart 1Password mini (Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini) or, for a more permanent fix, install the latest beta. As I mentioned just a moment ago in my reply to smebberson, once you install the beta, you can disable the setting to "Include beta builds" on the Updates preference pane. Then you will only be using betas until the next stable build is released.

Unless, of course, you want to always help us beta test. We always appreciate more testers. :)

• elmonch
    elmonch
    Community Member
    Options

having the same issue with Firefox and Chrome. I'm using 1Password 6 Version 6.2.1 (621002). I will try the Beta, will try the beta since
    it´s very annoying bug.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @elmonch,

I'm sorry you're running into the "slow unlock" issue! Let us know how it goes with the beta - hopefully it solves the problem for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.