Safari Technology Preview 3; claims 1Password not being installed [working again with Safari TP 4]

Options
ceolaf
ceolaf
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

I just tried to add the 1Password extension (v4.5.5) to the Safari Technology Preview and am getting "The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly."

However, I have v6.2.1 installed. In fact, I got to the extension by going to "install browser extensions" in the 1Password menu in v6.2.1.

Please advise.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:"The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly."

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ceolaf,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this! Version 6.2.1 doesn't support the Safari Technology Preview, but we've added support for it in a beta version. In order to switch to the beta version of the 1Password app and browser extension, just follow the steps here: Using 1Password betas

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• lutherkent
    lutherkent
    Community Member
    Options

Drew_AG,

I'm having the same problem but have been using the beta extension since Safari Technology Preview 1. STP 3 came out today and the plugin no longer works.

I don't know if it's related or not, but since STP3, 1Password Mini now displays a suggestion to install the extension for STP (which links to v 4.5.5)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lutherkent,

Sorry to hear it's not working for you! Can you please confirm the exact version of the main 1Password app you currently have installed? From the main app, go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar, and you'll find the version number there.

Also, it may help if you can let us know the exact version of the beta extension you have installed in Safari Technology Preview (Preferences > Extensions).

Thanks in advance! :)

• lutherkent
    lutherkent
    Community Member
    Options

Didn't mention previously that I'm using a beta of 1Password. Sorry.

1Password 6
    Version 6.3.BETA-12 (630012)
    AgileBits Beta

1Password Extension
    4.5.6.b5

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I have the same problem with the latest beta and latest beta extension since Safari Technology Preview 3 and OS X 10.11.5 beta 3.

It worked before but I had the same problem with the WebKit browser.

No problems with the normal Safari in the latest OS X beta.

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

And that does not disappear:

• jjpulizzi
    jjpulizzi
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG I have 1Password 6.2.1 (621001) / extension 4.5.5, and they were working fine with Safari Tech Preview 2. Once I installed STP 3, any attempt to use the extension to fill a username/password or form results in an error that 1Password cannot be found. Oddly enough, the app briefly opens.

• ceolaf
    ceolaf
    Community Member
    Options

I have installed both betas, and I am still seeing the same behavior.

STP: Version 9.1.1 (11601.6.17, 11602.1.29)
    1P: 6.4BETA-12 (630012)
    Extension: 4.5.6.b5

• rudy
    Options

all,

Safari Tech Preview 3 and the WebKit nightlies introduced a bug on their end. We're investigating what we can do to work around this unfortunate situation.

Rudy

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Take your time. It just came out a few hours ago and the WebKit browser is a little strange when you use it side by side with Safari. I think sometimes they mix everything up, because both have the same name when open. I deleted WebKit and the Tech Preview now.

I think about switching to Opera and 1Password works great even with the Developer Edition. Even the latest unstable builds of Chromium, Chrome Canary, Firefox Nightly that get updated every day seem to work without any problem with 1Password. Also the Developer Edition of Vivaldi if I remember correctly.

• JeremyD
    JeremyD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Rudy! Look forward to any updates.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ChocolateCheesecake and @JeremyD,

Thanks so much for your patience as we look into this. :)

• jjpulizzi
    jjpulizzi
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan I filed a bug with Apple, since they're the ones who will need to make a permanent fix: bug #25981297.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @jjpulizzi! :)

• Paul Applegate
    Paul Applegate
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue. Will monitor the thread.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• rudy
    Options

All,

Apple has acknowledged they broke it, see more details here

Rudy

• JeremyD
    JeremyD
    Community Member
    Options

This is killer. When does this mean the extension will be working again in STP3?

• Paul Applegate
    Paul Applegate
    Community Member
    Options

JeremyD, since it's Apple's problem and they release a new Preview every two weeks my answer would be two weeks. Just an educated guess.

• SteveJay7
    SteveJay7
    Community Member
    Options

Can I not use the mini with the new Safari Technology preview (Version 9.1.1 (11601.6.17, 11602.1.29))? Was working fine with it before now but now it won't install and I am forced to go back to Safari (Version 9.1 (11601.5.17.1))

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.2.1 (621002) AgileBits Store
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.2.1 (621002) AgileBits Store
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: ug:mac/, kb:diagnostics

• JeremyD
    JeremyD
    Community Member
    Options
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@SteveJay7,

Apple has issued this statement. I'm sure it won't be too long before they fix it. :)

The 1Password extension is broken in Safari Technology Preview 3. It will be fixed by: https://t.co/gNeTo0tljz Sorry for the inconvenience.

— WebKit (@webkit) April 28, 2016
  • a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member
    Options

Does this mean we'll have to wait two weeks for the fix?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@a.jaffe, that's one guess, but since the fix will be coming from Apple, we really don't know for sure. If anyone knows when the fix will be available, it's Apple. So this is a bit out of our hands I'm afraid, but we're really happy that Apple's WebKit team was so quick to respond to / acknowledge / work on the problem. :)

While waiting for the fix, you may wish to switch to the stable release of Safari, or use 1Password in another browser for now. If you need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG Thanks... I figured as much. What I really need as an extension or application to move the state of all of my painstakingly "curated" tabs and windows between Safari and the tech preview in one fell swoop... (yes, I know that I can just save them as bookmarks, but it's actually several windows worth, and I'm lazy...)

• JeremyD
    JeremyD
    Community Member
    Options

@a.jaffe, man I hear you! It would be so great if you could just transfer a current browser session from one browser to another at the click of the button. I'd pay $ for that. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@a.jaffe wrote:

What I really need as an extension or application to move the state of all of my painstakingly "curated" tabs and windows between Safari and the tech preview in one fell swoop...

@JeremyD wrote:

It would be so great if you could just transfer a current browser session from one browser to another at the click of the button.

While not quite "at the click of the button", you can export window/tab "sessions" from one instance of Safari and import them into others using the Sessions browser extension. Works just fine with Safari Technology Preview.

Sessions is unquestionably one the most invaluable Safari extensions for me, even without that export/import capability, and I hope it will be the same for you if you give it a try. :)

• abhibeckert
    abhibeckert
    Community Member
    Options

The WebKit bug discussion talks about this being about "legacy" HTTP headers.

Can't you just update 1Password to use different (non-legacy) headers?

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @abhibeckert ,

I believe the fix is already in the WebKit nightlies, so the best solution is to wait for the next STP release.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• abhibeckert
    abhibeckert
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_kevin which means for two weeks I have to live without browser integration, since using the technology preview is more important.

sigh

This discussion has been closed.