Safari Technology Preview 3; claims 1Password not being installed [working again with Safari TP 4]

2»

Comments

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

I'll try the nightly in a few minutes and give feedback.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member

They did not release version 4 of the Technology Preview together with OS X 10.11.5 Beta 4.

That WebKit Safari nightly is strange. I don't really like it. If I choose it as standard browser it says it's not standard and I should set it to Safari. And if I open Safari at the same time all tabs are there too. Also it is not able to use auto fill in and store passwords etc..

I don't understand why they use the same name for two different browser. It's better with the Technology Preview.

Does 1Password work good with Opera? I fell in love with the Developer version. ;) And the extension works fine. Maybe I'll switch. But I don't want Chrome extensions in there and will not install the extension to use them.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hey @ChocolateCheesecake,

Does 1Password work good with Opera? I fell in love with the Developer version. ;) And the extension works fine.

You must be using today's latest Mac beta (6.3.BETA-14) which adds support for Opera Developer's code signature. :) Either that or you have code signature verification disabled? For your protection, we recommend you keep the box checked at 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Verify browser code signature.

But to answer your question, yes, 1Password works fine with stable Opera as well!

• Julio Bouza
    Julio Bouza
    Community Member

I having the change challenge. It worked just fine until a Safari Technology Preview was updated the to other day. Is like the Extension doesn't recognize that the app is actually installed. I have 1Password (beta) 4.5.6.b7 Extension installed in Version 9.1.1 (11601.6.17, 11602.1.29) of Safari Technology Preview running 1Password 6 Version 6.3.BETA-14(630014)

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member

Hey @Vee

Thanks for your answer.

I did not get the update notification yet but updated now. It always comes delayed. Now 1Password mini recognized Opera Developer after I deleted the extension that I installed manually before and I can turn "Verify browser code signature" on again.

I just asked if it works fine because Opera is not a very common browser (anymore) especially the Mac version but I like it most of all.

Before I used 1Password I already used the iCloud Keychain and Safari storing the Passwords, now some passwords are mixed up. The Safari auto-fill is working always correctly but in 1Password there are missing passwords or are outdated. So it's not very easy to switch the browser. It might take some time to get everything in 1Password updated.

But that's not the topic of this thread. I'll try the next Safari Technology Preview when it is released. It should work then because the newer Safari nightly WebKit browser already works since a while.

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

[Edited by @rickfillion]

Hey,

I found a solution but don't know if it might be risky. I think not.

[Edit by @rickfillion: This approach is not recommended. You should not modify app bundles like this.]

If you really need the Technology Preview now you could exchange a part of the package contents from the WebKit browser.

Just "right-click" on WebKit and then "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> Frameworks -> 10-11

For Safari Technology Preview also "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> Frameworks

Then I just replaced all of the files with the ones from WebKit despite the Sparkle framework, what is not in the Technology Preview and just an Alias in that 10-11 folder of WebKit.

But I am sure only one of the files is resposible for the problem. Maybe someone from the 1Password Team already knows it or anyone who has more time today could try it with every single file.

Technology Preview 3 is really working normally now:

The extension can be installed from 1Password mini.

After that 1Password mini is not showing anymore, that the extension is not installed yet and does not recommend anymore to install it again and again.

The extension is recognizing the main application again.

No problems with "Verify browser code signature" enabled in the advanced preferences of 1Password.

And here again the link to the WebKit browser, what is just a Safari nightly (alpha) version that is even named Safari when it's launched and they share some of the base functions. You could see it when the normal Safari and WebKit Safari both are launched at the same time, the tabs are always identical. Only extensions have to be installed seperately and you are not able to use the auto-fill and save password functions in WebKit. That's why the Technology Preview is better because it is completely separated from the normal Safari and every function can be used.

https://webkit.org/nightly/

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

@JeremyD Reading list will sync. You can save your tabs to the reading list then use in the old Safari.

• JeremyD
    JeremyD
    Community Member

Thanks @Dianeoforegon!

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

I got a small Update for the Technology Preview 3 today, maybe it's fixed now. But because I did modify it before I can't test it without deleting, reinstalling and updating again.

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

I got the v3 update on April 27.

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Yes me too. This looks like an update for version 3. Because it was already installed. But I am not 100% sure.

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

You can create a Service in Automator to move a URL to another browser. I have one I use in Safari to move to Chrome when I need to play a flash video. I edited this for Safari Technology Preview.

`property theURL : " "

tell application "Safari Technology Preview"

set theURL to URL of current tab of window 1

end tell

tell application "Google Chrome"
    if (count of windows) is 0 or front window is not visible then
    make new window
    else
    make new tab at end of tabs of front window
    end if

set URL of active tab of window 1 to theURL

activate

end tell`

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

If you aren't familiar with Automator, you can download the service....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/571261/Open Safari Technology Preview URL in Chrome.zip

Drag the service to the Main Library/Services folder or to your User's Library/Services folder. If you don't have a Services folder you can create one.

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Who are you talking to?

I don't know what you are talking about and don't need it.

Safari Technology Preview 3 is working fine with 1Password since I modified it with some files from the nightly Safari (WebKit).

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Sadly it still does not work, the update for TP 3 was no real update. I think it just installed the browser again over the App Store after a few days and now it does not show up again. Was the same with TP 2. I'll keep my solution but would not recommend it to anyone, because someone wrote me it could really be too risky. That post where I explained it might get even completely deleted.

• wendy_appleseed
    wendy_appleseed
    Community Member

To anyone looking to quickly switch between Safari and STP: if you add the iCloud Tabs button to your Safari and STP toolbars, then you can easily open all of the tabs from Safari in STP and vice versa because Safari and STP share iCloud data.

• @wendy_appleseed is right. One of the primary benefits of Safari Tech Preview over WebKit Nightlies is that Safari Tech Preview has all of the bits, entitlements, and signatures needed for it to connect to iCloud as Safari.

Rick

• TimmyGUNZ
    TimmyGUNZ
    Community Member

Hi - For the past two weeks, Safari Technology Preview no longer works with 1Password. I'm using the latest beta (6.3.BETA16 (6300016)) and every time I try to use the extension, a new tab opens up saying that it's looking for 1Password Mini (which is already running) and nothing happens.

Any ideas on how to re-enable this browser? It was working fine for a month or so but the past 2 weeks it just stopped.

Thanks

Tim

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TimmyGUNZ,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your post into a discussion about the current problem with 1Password in Safari Technology Preview.

Please feel free to take a look through the other posts in this thread, but to summarize: This is an issue with the Webkit engine which powers Safari. A fix is coming from Apple, although we don't know exactly when. They issued a statement about it here:

Unfortunately there's nothing we're able to do about this in the meantime. Until they release the fix, you'll need to use the standard version of Safari to make use of 1Password’s browser extension. Alternately, when using Safari Technology Preview, you’ll need to do things the old fashioned way and copy/paste passwords between 1Password and Safari Technology Preview.

Hopefully a fix will be available soon. If you have more questions about that, please let us know. :)

• TimmyGUNZ
    TimmyGUNZ
    Community Member

Thanks, I didn't see that other thread. Appreciate the response and glad it's not a problem on my end. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

• Paul Applegate
    Paul Applegate
    Community Member

Safari Technology Preview 4 is out. 1Password works once again.

• @Paul Applegate,

great news!

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.