1Password requiring master password with Touch ID turned on

neteng
neteng
Community Member

After upgrading to 6.4 (640013), 1Password is prompting for the master password even though Touch ID is enabled within the app. The security settings under Advanced has the master password being required only after device reboot.

Is this a known bug?

1Password Version: 6.4 (640013)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 9.3.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• cgardier
    cgardier
    Community Member

upgrade my iphone to 6S and my fingerprint login went away, I want it back. how?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:upgrade my iphone to 6S and my fingerprint login went away, I want it back. how?

• cgardier
    cgardier
    Community Member

upgraded my iphone to 6S and my fingerprint login went away, I want it back. how?

• cgardier
    cgardier
    Community Member

upgraded my iphone to 6S and my fingerprint login went away, I want it back. how?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:upgrade my iphone to 6S and my fingerprint login went away, I want it back. how?

• Hi @cgardier,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Just to confirm: Touch ID still works to unlock your phone, but not 1Password? If so could you please check your settings? Please see this guide:

Use Touch ID | 1Password for iOS

Ben

• @cgardier,

I've merged your messages on this subject into this one thread. Thanks!

Ben

• cgardier
    cgardier
    Community Member

Ben, I get to step #4 and I don't have a touch ID option to turn on

• @cgardier,

But you are able to use Touch ID to unlock the phone itself?

Ben

• cgardier
    cgardier
    Community Member

no I am not. I can only open with the master password. That's my point, with the iphone upgrade it appears to have upgraded my 1password app. At the same time my touch id went away and now I can only open or login with master password. where did my touch id login go? why don't they have a 800 # to call for support?

• @cgardier,

I believe you've misunderstood my question.

I'm talking about the unlocking of your phone, not the unlocking of 1Password (I understand you can only use the Master Password currently and not Touch ID there). In order to use Touch ID with 1Password the phone itself must be locked using Touch ID:

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Ben

• davethis
    davethis
    Community Member

Ben,

I am also seeing the same behavior, and have been exchanging emails with Michael Fey on your team.

• @davethis,

I'm not seeing that conversation. Do you have a support ID?

Ben

• davethis
    davethis
    Community Member

Is it the DRB#?

• davethis
    davethis
    Community Member

Basically here is what I wrote:

I just upgraded to 1P 6.4 for iOS and after the upgrade I was prompted for my master password. I entered that; pressed the home button to close 1P; opened 1P; and I was prompted for my Touch ID.

30 minutes later I opened 1P again and I was again prompted for my master password.

I am running the latest version of iOS 9.3.1 on a 6s.

Auto-Lock is set to 1 minute, but there is a note below that says "Touch ID will be required every time you leave the app or after 1 minute of being used."

I am not being prompted for Touch ID at all, instead I am having to put in my master password.

I only started seeing this behavior after upgrading to 1P 6.4

• I'm not sure what a "DRB#" would be... if you've been communicating through our support email you should've received an automated reply from BitBot with a support ID number. If you've been communicating with Michael through his individual email address then I wouldn't have visibility into that conversation and you wouldn't have a support ID.

Thanks.

Ben

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@neteng:

Is this a known bug?

No—it works perfectly for me. Are you touching the 1Password fingerprint icon after the reboot? Once you have entered your master password are you able to use touch ID to unlock 1Password until the next reboot? (In other words, is touch ID otherwise working normally with 1Password?)

Stephen

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

I have this same problem too

Touch ID isn't working after the set time limit to lock 1 password is reached.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

Looks to me like a bug.

Whenever the time limit for auto locking 1password is reached, touch ID stops working.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

I have this same problem. I'm on an iPhone 6

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

I may have solved my problem, which looks to be a UI design problem.

Go to Settings > Advance > Security
    Turn off our change the setting for when master password is required.

I think this is a UI design problem because it was not obvious that this is a setting since it is located in a different section from the regular security features. Plus, this advanced section is hard to find (lives below the screen in an IPhone 6)

• bmkaiser
    bmkaiser
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. Even if I manually lock 1Password it prompts for the Master Password and I don't have the option to use Touch ID. Running iOS 9.3.1 (13E238) on an iPhone 6.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

After I upgraded, the advanced security setting said to re-prompt for master password after 1 minute (just like the lock timeout), but when I went into the setting that's not even an option on the list. I manually set it to only prompt for the password on device restart (to make it work like it did before). However, the next time I opened 1Password it asked for my master password, and the next time I attempted to fill a password in a browser (Safari or Chrome) through the sharesheet extension it prompted for my master password again (should have been TouchID). Since then, however, it's just prompted for TouchID correctly. I haven't rebooted yet, but other than those two initial oddities it's been OK so far. Figured I'd note my details since they were more halfway :-)

• Good morning folks,

One thing I'd like you to do is check on the advanced security settings in 1Password by tapping on Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password.

Make sure that whatever is set there isn't the same as what you're seeing in Settings > Security > Auto-Lock.

Once you've adjusted these settings please give it a try and let us know if it fixes the problem for you.

• gfeiner
    gfeiner
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem as well after updating to 6.4. Im running on a iphone6plus with ios 9.3.1

• Hi folks,

Please check out this post from MrRooni:

upgrade my iphone to 6S and my fingerprint login went away, I want it back. how? - AgileBits Support Forum

Please let us know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• bmkaiser
    bmkaiser
    Community Member

@bwoodruff: My Auto Lock is set to 10 minutes and my Require Master Password is set to After Device Restart

• gfeiner
    gfeiner
    Community Member

That fixed it for me. "require master password" was set to 1 minute which isn't even an option in the list when you select it. After putting it back to "after device restart" all is well and as it was before the update to v6.4. Weird.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

I'm glad you guys posted this. I was about to delete the app and re-download it. This made it worse than before since normally I only restart my devices once a week. Now it was asking for the password every time I launched it. This should have been communicated.

It never occurred to me to go into that Advanced setting.

• lukeyboyuk
    lukeyboyuk
    Community Member

Thanks for posting this, this fix seems to work for me!

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming, everyone!

I've located the bug that caused this and it was my fault. I'm really sorry for the trouble.

It's a one time only bug that happens during upgrading from 6.3.1 or earlier to 6.4. It won't happen again for anyone who is now on version 6.4. It also would only happen to users who had changed Require Master Password at some point in the past to something other than Never. Hopefully that limits the impact a little bit.

Thank you everyone for your patience while we figured out what was going wrong.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

My auto-lock is set to 1 minute and my Require Master Password is also set to After Device Restart. My device hasn't restarted since my post earlier, but I just opened 1Password and it required my master password again rather than TouchID, and it was definitely unlocked and TouchID was working fine earlier. TouchID has been working since then but I'll try again later after a little non-use and see if I can spot any pattern. iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.1 here BTW. If it happens again (and I believe this is the second time but I'll give it another go), then the bug at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/301288/#Comment_301288 might be more sticky than it sounds. Definitely sounds similar though!

This discussion has been closed.